Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:29 AM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Default question for those who do weigh-in's each week.

is it just me or is anyone else going through this...

i weigh in on sundays usually and ok i will get my weight and everything will be fine.. then monday comes along and no weight change yet.. same for tuesday and wednesday and then on thrusday... BAM! weight loss.. why does it do this??? why not like a few ounces each day and slowing climbs down.. why do i go from one weight on sunday through like wednesday and then on thrusday BAM i lost 2 pounds or something..

ok i know alot of you are probably saying why am i even ranting about this since it is a good thing.. i know, but just waiting till the week is almost over and not seeing any weight loss panics me because what if there is no change....
pinupdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:58 AM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm not sure of the scientific reason, but I think making adjustments like exercise and better diet takes time in terms of getting used to (for the body). That's when you're first starting out though. All I know is weight loss isn't linear and bodies are weird.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The only time I see steady weightloss, meaning every single day is when I have a super fantastic week - like 4 or more pounds.

But on an ordinary week, I also very often, usually in fact have the same thing happen - nothing, nothing, slight gain, slight gain, back down - BAM - 2 lbs. I don't know why it occurs that way. I also have noticed quite consistiently that it take about 2 - 3 days for a bad day to show up as a gain and a good day to show up as a loss. It's not automatic.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:17 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

This goes under the category Mysteries of the Universe! I will sometimes go a week or more without a drop, then boom--a drop of 2 to 4 pounds. The body does what it does. All those calculators and graphing tools--they are just math. They show averages overall, and averages never tell the whole story. That said, I still find them useful for tracking progress.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
This goes under the category Mysteries of the Universe! I will sometimes go a week or more without a drop, then boom--a drop of 2 to 4 pounds. The body does what it does. All those calculators and graphing tools--they are just math. They show averages overall, and averages never tell the whole story. That said, I still find them useful for tracking progress
I agree. This is why although I believe that the majority of weight loss or gain is due to the calories in/calories out formula, I think about 10% of weight loss/gain is due to some mysterious factor that no one knows. I mean, what else would account for the fact that in diet plans, people plateau even though they're on program?
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #6  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

I know this may sound blasphemous (lol)... but why don't you just change your weigh in day to Thursday? Or do you go some where like WW to get weighed?
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

What you described is exactly what happens to me! I weigh everyday. My official WI day is Mon. I don't see any loss until Thursday! Wed if I am going to have a really good week, but that doesn't happen much any more. I don't get it either, but I am used to what I see now. In the begining it was frustrating. Good luck. Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:26 AM   #8  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I don't have an official WI day. I tried that before and I found myself doing the same thing for a month! I'd be good for a couple of days, then eat thinking "oh WI is not for another 3 days," then realize it's coming up, the night before try to control it and then see nothing on the scale. Now I weigh everyday and I just want to see numbers drop. If I drop every week, I'm happy. I take my new low and go from there. I find myself actually sticking to my plans because I want to see that number go down, not because WI day is tomorrow or something...just thought I'd throw that out there.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you're stressing out, maybe weighing every day is too often.

I weigh every day, and I sometimes will see gradual loss daily, and sometimes will see the staggered losses you describe. During TOM I can't weigh daily, or I become too frustrated with water weight gain. Mentally I know it will be temporary if I stay on coarse, but emotionally, the frustration can trigger a binge.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #10  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Bottom line... Bodies are weird and absolutely impossible to understand in that regard. Trying to do so will just boggle your mind.

I weigh in on Saturday mornings. If I weigh in on Friday, I'm like 1-2 lbs heavier... then on Saturday, bam, loss. I don't even want to think about it. I'm just glad there *was* a loss.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:44 AM   #11  
I restore Teeth.

now, I'm just confused- somebody said that their official weigh-in day was Monday and couldnt see weight change until Thursday... I thought an official weigh in day was the ONLY day assigned to step on the scale! But I take it everyone weighs themselves everyday and only picks a certain date to record?
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover View Post
now, I'm just confused- somebody said that their official weigh-in day was Monday and couldnt see weight change until Thursday... I thought an official weigh in day was the ONLY day assigned to step on the scale! But I take it everyone weighs themselves everyday and only picks a certain date to record?
Yup - that's it. I weigh every single day - it keeps me aware and intune to my body. I never, ever want to go without stepping on that scale every single morning of my life. It's just a little reality check and a reminder to eat well and take care of myself. Prior to this lifestyle change I avoided that scale for close to 15 years. Ummmm, that's didn't work out quite so well.

I weigh every day, and record only on Mondays. I have gotten used to those fluctuations. I can deal with them.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seranab View Post
I know this may sound blasphemous (lol)... but why don't you just change your weigh in day to Thursday? Or do you go some where like WW to get weighed?
because my weight loss starts showing up from thrusdays to sunday, you can say thats when i lose the weight for some reason so i could have lost 2 on thrusday and by sunday it can be 4 already.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Yup - that's it. I weigh every single day - it keeps me aware and intune to my body.
i totally agree.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #15  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Wow Pinup, congratulations on the Great weight loss, that is just so great.
I try and not to pay attention to the scale too much, because I know , at the point I am, I am going to have good weeks and bad weeks. As long as I see numbers going down, I am ok.
good luck with getting to onederland!!
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote