Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:07 PM   #1  
Slowly Shrinking

S/C/G: 271/157/145

Height: 5'9"

Default My excitement has turned into anger

Ok, lets start with background, don't worry, it's short. I decided, about a year ago to get breast reduction surgery (hopefully from an I to about a D). I finally started the ball rolling in Jan, making sure I followed all my insurance's rules. I finally get my approval letter yesterday and I was super excited. I was already to start planning my time off from work and get prepped to be out of commission for 2 weeks in the next month or so.

Now today, I get a call from the surgical scheduler and she told me my doctor was booking in October!!! I don't have an exact date until Friday, but OCTOBER That's not going to work for me. During the summer, my mom can take care of me for a couple days, as she's a teacher, but not in October. I also was hoping to be shaped normally in time to go bridesmaid dress shopping for my cousin in a couple of months. Now all my plans are ruined.

I don't think I would be bothered, if they hadn't told me back when I first called the surgeon, that surgery would be scheduled 4 to 6 weeks after consultation. I was prepped for that kind of turn around, now this.

On top of this, the insurance company approved outpatient surgery, but my doctor is pushing for me to stay overnight. I don't think I'll have the money to do that, and most people go home the day of, so I don't know why I have to stay.

Anyway, I'm frustrated and upset and annoyed and I just don't know what to do. Thanks for reading this, I feel a bit better after venting.

Oh, and if you've been through anything like this, I'd love to hear what you did!!
Christine in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Did you try explaining this to the doc? Maybe they can work around it. If not, schedule it for NEXT summer, do the wedding just as you are, and let your doc know that regardless of his recommendations, you can only do what the insurance pays.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #3  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

Oh, Christine, how upsetting for you when you were so ready to go. Is there a possibility that you can be on a cancellation list that might get you in before October?

I had reduction surgery in 1989. I have to say it was by far the very best thing I have ever done for myself. I didn't stay over night so don't really know why your doctor is pushing for that. I would ask why though. I am still peeved that no one told me not to try to get out of bed by myself after the surgery. The nurse came in and found me in the bathroom and yelled at me for not asking for help. Well, no one told me not to get up on my own and I did have to pee!

I hope you still go through with it even if it's in October and you aren't exactly how you'd like to be for the wedding. Like I said it's the best thing I've ever done for myself along with losing weight.

Beth

Last edited by CinnamonGirl; 05-30-2007 at 07:46 PM.
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 PM   #4  
Meg

Would you consider a different surgeon? Your insurance approval should cover the procedure with any surgeon in their network.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #5  

Maybe ask to be put on a cancellation list -- having work for doctors, I know they get quite a few. Also, if he recommends an overnight stay, contact your insurance -- if he wants it, usually with the proper documentation from him, they will pay for it.

Good luck.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #6  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

This exact thing happened to my best friend -she's now a happy, happy B! I would second the pushing to be called if there are any cancellations. Other than that, check other surgeons, but that kind of wait isn't all that unusual, whatever they told you. Good luck!
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #7  
Mel

If you are 100% committed to that surgeon, ask about a cancellation list. Many plastic surgeons do get cancellations...people chicken out, decide they can't really afford elective surgery, or just plain get sick before surgery and have to postpone. The downside is getting a call telling you that you're on for the next morning

On the otherhand, unless you live in an area of NJ that I've never seen, you're fairly close to a LOT of major hospitals and highly regarded surgeons. If you trust your doc but really can't wait it out, ask for a referral to another surgeon. Ask who he/she would send their spouse to!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #8  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

Oh Christine... I don't you, but that just sounds so frustrating!! I agree with what the ladies above said... just explain the situation to the doctor and see if they can fit you in, or put you on a cancellation list...
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #9  
Slowly Shrinking

S/C/G: 271/157/145

Height: 5'9"

Thank you all for the support and suggestions. Things like a cancellation list don't ever occur to me when I'm angry and upset. I think I was just so ready to get it done and over with, that the idea of having to wait is too much. I like having a plan and my plan was mid-July. You mess up my plans and I get all messed up, and it ruins the lovely little world I've made up in my head. I'll be talking to the scheduler on Friday (or late tomorrow if I'm going insane and can't wait), so I'll have an update them.

Thanks again.
Christine in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

This thread is very interesting to me.

Do you think 6 months is about average for getting approval? I dont plan on this for about 3 more years, but good to know.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote