Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #1  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Default Am I Being Overprotective/Overreacting?

Sorry, folks - not sure where to post this, or who else to ask...

My sister and I had a good long chat last night, but she told me that she takes laxatives, and I immediately thought: "Oh NO!" But she explained that since she had her kids, she only has maybe one bowel movement a week, and this is painful for her. She also said she tried Metamucil, but it gave her terrible stomach cramps.

Now, I don't know much about laxatives, and I did a Google search, but I couldn't actually find anything that stated how often constitutes abuse. Does anyone know? My sister said I was totally overreacting, and I am wondering if I am. I do realise that ultimately, it is her body and her life, but I'd like to feel a little more 'educated' about this.

She takes them, apparently, less than once a week - and it works out to about 3 times a month.

Does anyone know about this kind of thing, and can inform me?

Thanks in advance - I feel kind of stupid about it all, like maybe it's totally okay, and I just don't know.

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:41 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I don't know much about them. She ought to consult her doctor, though, because using them too often can lead to being dependent on them. There are other alternatives that the doctor would be able to recommend.

She shouldn't have pains from using Metamucil unless there is something odd going on--another reason to see the doctor.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I worked for a gastro doc and that is definately not abuse, but it depends on which ones she is using, since she is using them long term. She should give MiraLax a try. It is over the counter now and it is fine for long term use. Some are okay and some make you dependant on them. If she is having that much trouble though, she should at least have a gastro check her out and make sure all is working okay. She may have irritable bowel, constipation dominant...MiraLax will help with that.
She is by no means abusing though. Abuse would be daily or almost daily use, from what i learned in the practice anyway. Some of our patients even used enemas EVERY DAY. They had psychogenic constipation issues though, ok, sorry too much info. (starting to ramble medical mumbo jumbo)
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 02:31 PM   #4  
Heather 2.0

Thanks Jay - I did mention she see a doctor, and she just brushed it off

And thanks Stacy - your post at least assures me that I don't need to be overly worried about her 'abusing' laxatives... I'll just keep my ears open and hope she's okay.

Thanks, guys!!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:34 PM   #5  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

Stacy..
that is a great post..
Thank you.
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:40 PM   #6  
Have you had The Surgery?

S/C/G: 510/225.4/199

Height: 69.09"

From personal experience, I always thought I was lactose intolerant, but the Dr gave me Zelnorm (before it was pulled) for IBS. I would highly recommend seeing a Dr as well. He has since given me Reglan to help with the bowel movements for diabetics. There may be issues involved that your sister may not be aware of. Also, the cheapest advice I can give, is get more fiber in!
FresnoBeeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I was going to echo the advice for Miralax --that is approved for long term use and doesnt cause permanent damage. (there are kids who will use it for YEARS and then wean off it and are totally fine)

But she should see her doc if only because the root cause should be investigated.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I wouldn't at all consider once a week as laxative abuse. I consulted my Dr. after I had an abdominal hernia repair and was having horrible trouble with constipation. He recommended that I take Benefiber, 3 Colace a day and Lactulose syrup. I heeded his advice and still was having trouble with horrible cramping and only 1 BM every 7 to 10 days. This was when I was on Atkins and totally unable to get enough fiber in my diet. Now that I calorie count and eat plenty of daily fiber, I no longer have a problem and don't find a need for any laxatives. Basically, what my Dr. had prescribed definitely constitutes laxative abuse.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:08 PM   #9  

I have irratable bowel syndrome that probably warrants laxative use about once a week, and I wouldn't consider it abuse. Sounds as though its for a sound medical reason...chances are that if she did have an eating disorder, she wouldnt have been so relaxed telling you anyway?
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #10  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

Definitely time to see a doctor - don't let her brush you off!! One bowel movement a week is not normal and her doctor can help her figure out what she needs to do to get going again
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #11  
Heather 2.0

Thanks all! I've asked her to meet me for lunch on Wednesday, and I hope we'll have a good chat... and talk about seeing a doctor!

Heather