Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #1  

Height: 5 ft 5

Default thighs rubbing together

I've lost weight but not in my thighs.They rub together and this is especially problematic if I am wearing skirts or working out. I will end up with red, chaffed skin that is raw for a few days. Any tips on making this better, aside from liposuction?
phatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Spandex! No, seriously. Go buy some tight, spandex exercise pants/shorts. They do miracles to stop chafing. This winter I wore them under my exercise pants everyday.

To quote Nacho Libre "Chancho. When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun."

PS: I love your avatar, I have that Threadless shirt.
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Something else that's helpful for chafing is Soothing Care powder-gel. It comes in a tube, it's like an ointment but it goes on pretty dry. It works miracles on rash like under the arms or around the bra line.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:24 PM   #4  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

Smile

I don't normally post here, but saw your post and had to respond. I have this problem, and am looking forward to the day that it goes away. I would agree with the spandax post before mine. Also there are certain exercises that help, exercises that target the thighs. I do leg lifts after using the elliptical, and plan to add leg weights to my routine as soon as I am ready to. Toning this area , besides loosing weight is really important to me, because I know how painful this is. I hope you find your solution. Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #5  

I wouldn't want to be wearing an extra layer of tight clothing during the heat of summer.

BodyGlide or stick deodorant will make the parts that rub, not chafe.

MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 150/148/120

Height: 5'2"

Anyone have the problem of when your thighs rub together so much, and you're wearing jeans, that the jeans eventually get worn down and get holes in the inner thigh area??? I HATE that, and it happens to every stinking pair I own....I especially hate it when it happens to the jeans that fit me perfectly. Any remedy for that??? I don't have the money to be buying new jeans every month...
LaBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Labonita,

My inner thighs rub together and they always have but I've never actually worn holes through the inner thighs of the jeans. What type of jeans are you wearing? I'm just wondering if it is a specific type/brand.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Bonita - I used to have that problem, but not so much anymore...I think the stretchier jeans hold up better, or ones with flatter seams.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/170/150

Height: 5'8"

I've had a lot of jeans go through that, but only after a very long time of wearing them, and by then they have holes in other places too. I don't know any solution besides buying new jeans, maybe heavier fabrics... none of my jeans from Express have had that problem, come to think of it... and they are a heavier fabric
cagesorwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #10  
No description available.

When I run, I usually do need a layer of spandex. At least with certain shorts. I have a pair of running pants that don't chafe. Chafing is EVIL and spandex is the cure! (for me anyway!)
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:28 PM   #11  

Height: 5 ft 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBonita View Post
Anyone have the problem of when your thighs rub together so much, and you're wearing jeans, that the jeans eventually get worn down and get holes in the inner thigh area???(
Yes, same thing happens to me! My favorite pair of jeans was just ruined because of this happening!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to get some of the gel to lessen the friction when I work out.

Side story, one time I went to the ocean and got salt water on my thighs and ended up walking quite a distance back to the car. My inner thighs were so raw and painful by the end of that trip. Rubbing together + salt = pain!
phatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Another side story: once, in the middle of winter when my legs were really dry, I went on a 5 mile hike. I didn't notice the chafing until I was driving home from the mountains. By the time I got home, it was nearly too painful to walk into the house. The next day I went out and bought spandex.
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #13  
Slowly Shrinking

S/C/G: 271/157/145

Height: 5'9"

I used to have that problem and would just apply some light lotion on my thighs in the morning and that seemed to help, though once I had sunburn there and trust me it was not joy.

I had the same problem with my jeans too for a long time. It was always lane bryant and always the lighter weight jeans that did it. I bought jeans that were a heavier weight fabric and that had some stretch, and it seemed to not happen as often.
Christine in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

My favorite is the ointment that turns into a powder when it is applied-it is actually sold in the feminine hygeine section-I believe it is made by Monistat?

One of the things that you can do is to wear exercise pants that fit well. If they are low/baggy in the crotch area, then the thighs will rub directly together, rather than having the material there as a buffer.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

aphil, yes, that's the Soothing Care powder-gel I mentioned above. It is really a helpful product for heat rash, chafing, etc.

MariaMaria, thanks for the tip on Body Glide--that looks worth checking out. I notice it's an all-natural product.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote