Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 209.2/203.8/150

Height: 5'5''

Default The Cafeteria is testing me. . .

Hello all,

I just found you guys a few days ago, and I think I'm in heaven. Since my 21st birthday is coming up, I decided to haul my butt off the couch, and never see 200 lbs again. (210 was my highest, the flu took care of about 8 of that).

I know I can do it, but I've hit a huge obstacle, for me anyway. I work 11am - 7pm, and I can't cook, AT ALL. The smoke alarm agrees with me. So I buy my lunch and my dinner at the hospital's cafeteria. The fruit is right next to the ginormous cookies and cakes, and the salad bar has as much unhealthy stuff as healthy. Sometimes I just. . .give in. How do I make sure I grab the banana instead of the double chocolate cookie?
Wheatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:34 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Same problem here at the campus restaurant.

Alas, I haven't found any valuable solution yet, save from gathering all my willpower at the precise moment of picking my meal. I try to think of all I've accomplished during the week in terms of weight loss, to motivate me, and then I also convince myself that I CAN have cake, but it has to be a damn good one, not cafeteria, pre-packaged food (if I'm to eat junk food, might as well be the best of the best among the junk, hehe). In my case, once it's on my tray and I walk away, the cravings for cake etc. usually stop, so if I can go through that moment, I'm allright. I'm not sure of what else there is to do, given that we have no control on what unhealthy foods are on display nor where...

(I admit I also have a little tool for control. For every day I haven't gone overboard, I put 1€ in a pot; this way, later on, I can buy myself something nice once I reach a goal/mini-goal. So I tell myself, "If you eat that cake, no euro for you today!" Being a materialist girl helps sometimes. )
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:53 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hi there Wheatie! Welcome!

I don't have experience with your precise situation, but my suggestion would be that you decide exactly what you are going to have for lunch and dinner *before* you get to the cafeteria. Choose your veggies, your protein and your carb ahead of time and then just stick to your plan. I find it much easier to eat properly when I plan before the food in is my face. Chocolate chip muffins are tempting, but if you have already decided on a lovely salad with chicken, it might be easier to ignore them. In the end, this is all about self-discipline, and you have to find ways to trick yourself into being disciplined.

Good luck!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey Wheatie,

Temptation is everywhere in the world, but you make the choices! The other posters have some good ideas--planning helps, rewards help--whatever we can come up with to help us make good choices.

Just thinking out loud here-- can you bring your lunch or dinner, or part of those meals? That might solve some of the problem, and it would probably be cheaper, too! For instance, you could bring with you some less ginormous, healthier types of "cookie" or nutrition bar as snacks, and in that way not be so tempted. Or carrot sticks, your own fruits, and so on. That way you'd only have to buy the main course and could skip the rest.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:44 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

What you do is smack that cookie down and grab the banana and run!!

I think it's all about your perception. If you sit there and think about it...you COULD get that evil demon cookie. But it would just take longer to see results (or maybe it would be your one treat for the day). If it was just that one cookie, then maybe you should have it. But if it is a bajillion calories, you should just remind yourself.

Maybe you can create a story about the cookies THERE. Like...a bad story centered around the cookies. Or think about the sugar pike and crash you'll have from it.

But have a metal image of you smacking that cookie DOWN! It would be entertaining and maybe a mental cookie image you can incorporate. Maybe you can avoid that cookie all week until friday.

DEMON COOKIE!

I hope I made that cookie seem kind of evil. That cookie is a child killer!
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:04 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/145

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on taking the first step! On January first, I decided to kiss the 200s good bye and have been working my way down since then.

Cafeterias can be really hard, I struggled with them in college. I agree with the solution of planning your day out before hand. Try Thedailyplate.com or fitday.com and really plan out how much you want to eat. I find that once I've made a solid plan for success it is harder to break down and ruin it. You might also try bringing things from home. Salads, sandwiches, soup cups, and lean cuisines are all simple non-cooking options that can keep you away from temptation. You also may want to keep snack foods like carrots and apples around so you don't snack on cookies. I keep unsweetened applesauce and 90 calorie granola bars in my desk at all times just in case.

Good luck and welcome to the board!
Romeos Girly is offline   Reply With Quote