3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Concern about The Daily Plate (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/112000-concern-about-daily-plate.html)

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-07-2007 03:51 PM

Concern about The Daily Plate

I recently signed up at thedailyplate.com. I like it a lot better than FitDay for a variety of reasons. One thing I'm noticing, though, is that the calories that they say you burn for activities seems AWFULLY high. For example, I'm quite sure I didn't burn almost 500 calories this morning in a 45 minute stationary bike ride...

Has anyone else experienced this? It's really too bad that you can't input your own exercise stuff like you can with the food. I mean, you can manually enter the calories burned, but that doesn't really help you keep track of WHAT you've done, KWIM? I'm wondering if I should go back to FitDay just for this reason alone.

I'm sad, cuz I really like the site other than that!!

suechef 05-07-2007 06:39 PM

I use ProTrack, which I bought online & downloaded. It has a section for inputting all the info on exercise, calories burned, etc., and you can add more exercises.

I don't really trust the numbers on the machines, because they vary a lot. It used to bug me but now I figure I'm using a variety of factors to gauge how I'm doing, and instead of worrying about the exact number of calories I just keep trying to do a little better than I did before, so even if the numbers aren't right I know I'm improving.

cheers,
Sue

LookingForHope 05-07-2007 07:59 PM

I went out to try The Daily Plate. I must say it was easier to look up the foods I ate. They had an amazing amount of data. But the hour exercise class I took today they calculated at burning 800 calories. That seems high to me. In Fitday the same exercises were calculated at 337. I think that seems about right.

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-08-2007 11:05 AM

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing -- and I remember someone warning me that FitDay's exercise counts tended to be a little on the high side!! YIKES!

WakeMeForSummer 05-09-2007 08:38 PM

I'm right with you-- it lists an hour of yoga at -500 some cals-- where fit day lists -125? I guess my feeling on it is that I don't need to log my activity-- all it really does is give me the excuse to eat more cals.

cagesorwings 05-09-2007 11:54 PM

This is definitely true. I just adjust the minutes so that the calories are approximately at what I believe I burned (for example, a 45 min elliptical session they say is 600 something cals... I put in lower and lower numbers until it says what my hrm says). I write down my exercise to keep track of the real amount of time myself... otherwise I really like the daily plate!

LookingForHope 05-10-2007 03:30 PM

I've been using it as well lately. I just stopped using the exercise feature. Dailyplate seems to have tons of restaurant listings!