Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 166/163.5/120

Height: 5.1

Default Question about lower carbs and hypothyroid weight loss

I am now doing the South Beach Diet and I wanted to ask those of you who are Hypothyroid if you still count calories while watching your carbs? I can't seem to stick to Phase 1 in which you don't eat grains. I am eating only high fiber grains and only about 2-3 servings a day but I wanted to know if I should still be tracking my calories or only go by percentage such as 30 fat/30 carb/40prot ?

Thanks!
tooaud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:58 AM   #2  
Meg

I count calories and carbs.

I count calories because they're the basic units of energy and I know my body is counting them even if I'm not.

I try to keep my carbs around 100 grams a day, coming from fruits, veggies, beans, and one starch daily, generally oatmeal or a serving of Fiber One. Too many starches make me bloated and stall me out. My ratios are typically 45P/25C/30F.

But that's something I've learned about myself from experimenting ... and you may react differently to carbs. Are you losing doing your modified SBD Phase 1? If you are, then it's working for you.

Or you might consider moving right into SBD Phase 2 and skipping Phase 1, like I've heard some people who can't handle giving up all starchy carbs do.

So I don't think there's any right answer for everyone who's hypo, just experimenting to see how your body reacts to carbs. Remember that you're putting together a plan that's going to work for the rest of your life, not just short-term, so it needs to be something that's a comfortable fit for you and how you live your life.

Best of luck to you and remember, we hypo chicks can lose weight too!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote