Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:20 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

They ate diets similar to what the people starving in Europe were eating (because the purpose of the experiment was to starve them and then refeed them, simulating the real world starvation support efforts in war-torn Europe). I still think it's interesting and appropriate due to the effect of starvation on the mind and body, it was indeed fascinating reading. Does the body differentiate between high nutrition severe calorie restriction and just plain old starvation, probably...but I bet you can still starve to death on 500 daily calories of sweet potato, spinach, quinoa and chicken breast just as much as 500 calories of potatoes.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

BooBear, I think you make some good points, only because the data isn't in yet. And I do agree that most Americans eat too much, period. But I do have a couple of differing opinions--first of all, people who survived the Holocaust did so because they were not killed before they were freed, period. Some of them lived a long time after that--but I think it is just not possible to conclude that they did so because they were nearly starved to death in a concentration camp. To me that just sounds nuts!

Second, osteoporosis is not "preferable" to cancer. That is not a choice anyone should have to make, first of all, and second of all, osteoporosis is no picnic--having your vertebrae crack without warning and becoming bedridden and in constant pain isn't "better" than cancer.

Just my opinions...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #18  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBear2071 View Post
It is my belief that we are all eating too much today and if you took a time machine back 40 years you would realize how much even a 1200 calorie diet is over what most people ate in other years. And I do think that studies have been done C.A.L.R.I.E. That shows that calorie restriction can extend life and make you healthier. And it makes sense. Lost of people that survived the holocaust seemed to live an awfully long time. And it makes sense that if we outside hunting we would overall be eating a lot less and get a lot less nutrients. We would even go through periods of starvation. So isn't a little starvation even part of Natures plan? Natures diet?
Okay, you`ve touched on a bit of a pet peeve of mine: the old Hobbesian view that ancient man´s life was "solitary, poor, nasty, bruttish, and short". Speaking as an archaeologist, I can tell you that this is patently false.

Hunter gatherers average between 1500 - 2000 calories a day on most days. Most of these come from the fruits, grains, and vegetables that the women gather. On feast days, or when the men finally bring a bunch of meat, they can get easily over 3000 calories. These are from studies in New Guinea and rainforest Africa. Yes, sometimes in the week they get down to maybe 1000 calories, but in general hunter gatheres and especially hunter gatherers in the past were well fed.

How do we know this? Because malnutrition shows up in the bones. Man in Europe 30,000 years ago was taller, more muscular, and in better health than Europeans 2000, 1500, heck even 100 years ago. Barely this generation is getting up to the health standards that they had 20,000 years ago.

If you head over to modern Sudan go feel the teeth of a 13 year old kid. What you are going to feel is ridges. Those come from starvation and severe calorie restriction that affect bone growth. That is what happens during periods of starvation. (all of this information is available in William Bass`book "Human Osteology, btw).

Between the avocadoes, beans, maize, and other fruits they have worked out that the average daily caloric intake for ancient Mexicans was around 2000 calories.

Here`s whats funny. In Egypt, Mesopotamia, and North America when agriculture fist got started people were worst off. Instead of going through winter not eating enough, they were malnurished the entire year. We can tell from the decrease in height, more cavities, more diseases that show up in the bones.

The point is this, if starvation was a bit of nature`s plan, it would be this: eat as much as you can in the summer and spring. Go nuts. And then have around 800 calories during the winter. This is the general plan seen in the KAlahari desert about 50 years ago.

Second: there are no studies about Holocaust survivors living longer or less than the average. Do you even know what the death rates were for starvation in Treblinka or Dachau? They were incredible! And you`re saying that it was good? I would seriously rethink your argument before going any further.

Third: Archaeologist have done a terrible job in letting the average public know about the past and what people were doing. That`s why everyone gets away with thinking that ancient man`s life was incredibly difficult and that they were barely scraping by. Trust me, we were not. The average 1700 European was getting less calories than your average hunter gatherer today, and today they are living in the rainforest, the harshest desert, and the arctic.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #19  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBear2071 View Post
I don't think I was saying that people survived the HOlocust because of dieting... no I was just saying that it is one of those *make you go humn* that many of them did *live* to substanially older ages and were starved for 10 years or so -- it obviously could be many other things (such as will to live) but that is something that always makes me wonder about the calorie restriction thing, because there is an entire group that certinally was calorie restricted.... but I am sure there are hard scientific studies.
From the stories and things I've read, I don't believe anyone survived 10 years of internment in a concentration camp. Many of them died well before then. They also did intensive work for hours on end. I would also agree although there are holocaust survivors that lived a long time, there were many that did not.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #20  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
From the stories and things I've read, I don't believe anyone survived 10 years of internment in a concentration camp. Many of them died well before then. They also did intensive work for hours on end. I would also agree although there are holocaust survivors that lived a long time, there were many that did not.
I think it's also worth noting that many emigrated to the States post-war, so it may seem like there are a lot of survivors. Also, I have known a handful of Survivors in my life and they may have made it to 80, but they had significant health issues that struck them long before than- usually bone and neuromuscular issues, leaving a couple of them in wheelchairs long before they passed.

Glory, thanks for linking the book... there were so many interesting health and science studies done during that time and I will be checking it out.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:34 AM   #21