Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:30 AM   #16  
No description available.

She is still growing. Kids outgrow their clothes all the time....my kids at least daily! So that is normal. The trick is how to reassure her she's normal without turning it into a big old ordeal. What does a "5" on a tag really mean? Nuttin'! You could find her a five that fits her well, I would wager.

I would take her to her favorite store and buy her a new pair of jeans...however she likes...with the sparkles or flowers or grunge or whatever her style is. She needs clothes that she loves and that she feels comfortable it. I agree with Aphil....your daughter is normal. But again, she needs to feel normal.

Also, is she involved in sports? Not for calorie control, but for general fitness and health and (most important!) for her to internalize that her body is a wonderful thing that she controls....that she can set and achieve physical goals and that she is healthy and marvelous and terrific...on the inside and the outside! My 14 year old daughter runs track and cross country and it has been wonderful for her goal-setting skills and social life, too. Kids who take care of their bodies and their grades. She is learning about nutrition (on her own initiative) and talks about protein, calcium, iron rich foods, carb loading for premeet days, etc.

Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree with midwife about incorporating activity into her life. If she doesn't like team sports or track-then see if she wants to join gymnastics, or take dance classes, (there are not just tap/jazz/ballet classes-but you can look further and find hip hop, salsa, belly dance, African dance, all sorts of stuff out there if you really look.) or even martial arts. She might enjoy karate or something similar instead. It doesn't matter what she does, as long as she regularly does something.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote