Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/ticker/190

Height: 5'7"

Default Tell me it gets better

Okay, I know I have a LOT of weight to lose. Okey-dokey. I'm ready and willing to do the work. Just one problem. Leg pain. Not daily, but occasionally, like when I've spent the day working and I've stood most of the day on a hard concrete surface. Or, like the other day, when I programed the eliptical for 20 minutes, and could only do 10. It doesn't exactly center anywhere, like a stress fracture, or arthritis. Just, in general. Like my ol' body just isn't up to it anymore. The aspirin doesn't always hit it, but I feel really old, lately, and the pain just bothers me.

So, tell me, one and all, when I lose the weight, does the pain in my legs lessen? 'Cus it hurts in my calves, then it decides to work on my left foot, and, oh, it's my knee today, must be Tuesday, etc., etc. So very confused, and crippled!
miradoblackwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #2  

When I was having a lot of muscle aches, I found out I was magnesium deficient. Apparently that has a lot to do with muscle pain, tension headaches, and things like that. Doc told me to get a magnesium supplement (often paired up with calcium and zinc) and I have had few problems since.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

It absolutely gets better!!!! I still have pain from time to time, but it is so much less. I used to be in agony just climbing the stairs, but I don't have that problem anymore. Of course I did recently have a problem with pain in my feet, but it seems to have gone now.

One suggestion I have if you haven't started yet is weight training. Building up the muscle helps so much. If the joints are better supported by muscle they are taking a lot less of the strain.
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm here to tell you - it gets better. Much, much, MUCH better.

I'm more then pretty sure I've done permanent damage to my knees. But lugging around 160 something pounds less (actually they felt better way before I got to the 160 lbs lost mark) of me, has definitely made the discomfort more then tolerable. I hardly notice it most days. I move with ease now and am rarely still for very long.

Have you thought about swimming for exercise for the time being? It's a great, stress free way to exercise.

You're doing a great thing for yourself. You will be amazed, simply amazed at the difference in your body. Keep up the good work. Just keep at it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #5  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'd like to suggest that you get yourself some new shoes. If yours are old or are the wrong kind, it can hurt your feet and knees.

I once thought I just was not made for jogging because my knees hurt so bad I could hardly go up stairs after only a few times. Funny thing, it was the shoes--I was wearing cheap Keds-type shoes and they didn't have enough support. And this was when I was normal weight! Now, I get new shoes as soon as my feet start to hurt.

So, spend some money on good workout shoes--they could make a big difference.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:01 PM   #6  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

The swimming thing is a great idea.

Don't force yourself through the pain that's your body trying to tell you something. There are lots of options to help increase your strength in the meantime. I know a slow start of is frustrating, but you'll get there.

It was rough going when I started too even the walk away the pounds videos were rough on me.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #7  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

IT GETS BETTER ...

SERIOUSLY, I know how you feel; as a physically challenged person with knee, calf, and back problems; pain is one of my biggest issues too. I do hand-weights, chair aerobics (for toning as well), and walking when and as I can. I agree with JAYELL that a good pair of shoes makes a difference. I find some days that if I walk earlier in the day, my feet won't hurt as much.

I agree that swimming (aquatics) would be a good choice too. I think as we go down, the pain lessens as well; at least that's been my experience. I can do a whole lot more now and I feel so much better too. Yah, I have good days and some not-so-good days, but then the next day will be fabulous!

Take advantage of the good days; and don't over-do it at the beginning; start small and work your way up each day/week/ month. I started with up to 5-10-12 reps of each kind of movement; I increased my walking by steps and then by people's laneways, then blocks; I'm still working on the miles thing.

YOU CAN DO THIS ~ one-step-at-a-time; that's key for those of us with pain issues. Soak your feet in warm water with 1 tsp baking soda after your walks, or soak in a nice bubble bath as a reward. Oh and a nice, massage with a fragrant oil, works wonders too ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 09-18-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #8  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

My first suggestion would be to use ibuprofen (an anti-inflammatory) instead of aspirin. Also, use icy-hot patches on the sore areas.

I find that a lot of my aches and pain go away as I get more fit. Even my migraines are lessening. It's not fun getting there, but eventually it just won't happen anymore.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote