Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default My stomach ailment

I'm hoping somone here can offer some light...

I was diagnosed with IBS and GERD about 10 or so years ago. I don't have that much of a problem with either when I'm thin... but when I'm chubby... OY!

I can't eat ANYTHING. I mean ANYTHING! No matter WHAT I eat, or when or how much.... I am in pain-pain-pain. Mostly upper abdomen pain. And OMG it hurts... & I get all bloaty & stuff... not a pretty sight. No kidding - my stomach bloats up & I look about 7 or 8 months pregnant!

My doc told me to take Prilosec... Been taking it for nearly 3 weeks now, & it's just NOT helping! I just made a special trip to the pharmacy & bought some Tums & Gas-X. I'm currently drinking a soda...

...at this point, I'll try anything. If someone told me that cat poop worked for them, I'd get on my hands & knees at the kitty's litter box... I swear....

So.... similar stories? Advice, suggestions, sympathy??? I'm desperate here!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #2  

Oh yeah, Sweetie. I feel your pain! Two weeks ago I made a trip to the ER after having severe stomach cramps for more than four hours. Right now they are treating me with a Proton Pump Inhibitor (PPI) which is just an acid reducer. I had been having stomach cramps off and on for awhile, but being they weren't debiliatating yet I ignored them.

Isn't Prilosec OTC now or am I not remembering correctly? Have you thought about trying another med? I currently am on Protonix, but will be switching to nexium at the end of the month because it is cheper through my insurance company. It really works great. What dietary modifications have you made? Are you avoiding caffeine, chocolate, onions, garlic, tomatoes, mint, whole milk dairy, carbonated beverages? These items were on the GERD list the ER gave me as possibl triggers. There may be others. Other suggestions are raissing the head of your bed, avoiding tight clothing, umm and I am sure I am forgetting something important.

I have found I cannot eat raw veggies, but I can eat cooked ones. What have you tried to eat that gives you problems? For now you probably have to eat mostly at home until you figure out what you can and cannot eat since eating out it is really hard to know what is in stuff.

You have my sympathy.. really. I look preggers every night before bed and every morning my tummy is bad to its flabby, but flatter normal. I swear I can go up a pants size during the course of a day with bloating.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

You don't want to drink soda if you have GERD--it is one of the things that will irrirate that condition. Stay away from all carbonated beverages (they also probably aren't helping with your IBS). You might check out the book "Tell Me What to Eat If I Have Acid Reflux" (http://www.amazon.com/Tell-What-Have...917222&sr=8-2). I checked out a copy from my local library. Lots of helpful suggestions in terms of foods to eat and foods to avoid, along with other lifestyle changes.

Also, given the amount of pain you are describing, I think you need to go back to your doctor and tell him that the Prilosec isn't working. It can take up to 14 days to work, but it sounds like you are past that. There are lots of other medications out there that might work better for you.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #4  
Beach Babe Wannabe

S/C/G: 257/226/125

Height: 5' 4" - 51 years old

I have IBD.. and problems with my gall bladder...

My symptoms act up pretty much when ever they want too.. and then go away when they want to.. I have not been able to find any one thing that sets them off...

I do know that the four months I was on Atkins (VERY strict, low carb, low residue (not alot of fiber) I had NO problems at all...

maybe give it a try? mostly meat, cheese, eggs and low veggies..

I just recenlty also heard that this was the way to go thru my sister's doc.. (she has Crones)..
he put her on a low carb diet!
good luck honey..
Runundefined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #5  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT View Post

Isn't Prilosec OTC now or am I not remembering correctly? Have you thought about trying another med?
Yeah, somebody told me about "Aciphex" (spelling may be wrong!) - so if I EVER get in touch with my doc, I plan on asking her about that.

Quote:
What dietary modifications have you made? Are you avoiding caffeine, chocolate, onions, garlic, tomatoes, mint, whole milk dairy, carbonated beverages?
I am avoiding just about everything. I drink a cup of 1/2 decaf in the morning, & usually eat one or two slices of whole-grain toast with a smidge of butter. I am purposely staying away from chocolate, tomatoes, dairy, etc. But when I start hurting, I sometimes get some (burping!) relief from drinking a soda. Which is why I'm doing that now.

Quote:
Other suggestions are raissing the head of your bed...
I don't really hurt so much at night, unless I eat something that is a REAL no-no... like something spicy or whatever...

Quote:
avoiding tight clothing
Oh yeah, I have to avoid that!

Quote:
I have found I cannot eat raw veggies, but I can eat cooked ones. What have you tried to eat that gives you problems?
Just about everything causes me pain ... no kidding. For the past 5 or days, I've taken to drinking Slim-Fast and having soup... I just can't STAND anything that is solid...

Quote:
For now you probably have to eat mostly at home until you figure out what you can and cannot eat since eating out it is really hard to know what is in stuff.

You have my sympathy.. really. I look preggers every night before bed and every morning my tummy is bad to its flabby, but flatter normal. I swear I can go up a pants size during the course of a day with bloating.
Yeah. I am not eating much at all during the day. I've had NO LUNCH at all today. I hurt too much to even think about food right now...
Old 04-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
You don't want to drink soda if you have GERD--it is one of the things that will irrirate that condition. Stay away from all carbonated beverages (they also probably aren't helping with your IBS).
BUT.... they help me burp! .....

Quote:
You might check out the book "Tell Me What to Eat If I Have Acid Reflux" (http://www.amazon.com/Tell-What-Have...917222&sr=8-2). I checked out a copy from my local library. Lots of helpful suggestions in terms of foods to eat and foods to avoid, along with other lifestyle changes.
I have that book. It didn't really tell me that much more info than what my doc told me to begin with when I was first diagnosed.

Quote:
Also, given the amount of pain you are describing, I think you need to go back to your doctor and tell him that the Prilosec isn't working. It can take up to 14 days to work, but it sounds like you are past that. There are lots of other medications out there that might work better for you.
That's EXACTLY what I'm thinking! - I just hope it's not a gall bladder problem... e-gads....
Old 04-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runundefined View Post
I do know that the four months I was on Atkins (VERY strict, low carb, low residue (not alot of fiber) I had NO problems at all...

maybe give it a try? mostly meat, cheese, eggs and low veggies..

Hmmm.... a couple days ago, for lunch I ate a few slices of ham (deli) and a handful of grapes. I don't think I hurt so much that day....

....worth looking into! Thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

A lot of people have wheat sensitivities and it sounds like you may as well. I know if I eat too much bread, I get similar symptoms but I try to control my bread intake. Did you ask your doctor about wheat gluten sensitivity?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I second the idea to go see your doc again. Pain in the upper abdomen could be a lot of things--gall bladder, an ulcer--that are not related to IBS. Insist that the doc order more tests. It sounds like you're being treated according to "best guess."

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 292/?/150

Height: 5ft6in

I wish I had some scientific genius for you, I don't. I do have great compassion and sympathy though! I totally understand. I have had the same problems.

I am currently on South Beach and am having no problems at all! I have no scientific research or reason as to why eating more protein, a lot less carbs (and good WHOLE grains when I do eat carbs) plenty of fruit and veggies is helping. I feel like a real person again!

I saw my doctor yesterday. I have been on aciphex and nexium. I ran out of the nexium about 3 weeks before my appt. The doctor and I decided not to refill it as I've done fine without it. The doctor seemed to think that losing weight has helped the stomach issues (I attribute it more to diet).

If I were you, I'd give it a shot. Cut out as much processed stuff as you can. Stick with the basics like lean protein, fruit, vegs, and a small amount of truly healthy whole grains (warning: whole grains are hard to find!).

On another note, at the same time I totally cut out high fructose corn syrup. I don't know if that was a contributor as well. That durn stuff is in everything!!!!

Good luck and I hope you feel better SOON!
Shellyknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #11  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

My future daughter-in-law has Celiac Disease and exhibited the symptoms you mention before her diagnosis. Try eliminating all products that contain gluten (breads, cereals etc.) for a few days. If it is Celiac (gluten intolerance), you will notice that you will begin to feel better within a day or two. Doing this test of eliminating gluten won't hurt you, and it MAY help you to get answers.

My daughter-in-law was on three medications. She is off all of them now!
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #12  
Am I there yet?

S/C/G: 205/197/130

Height: 5'5"

Woooo I feel your pain. I developed IBS after having my gallbladder removed 3 years ago. Prilosec and I are BEST FRIENDS!

It has taken me a long time to figure out what I can and cannot eat, but every now and then I slip up. Yesterday I had a Lean Cuisine pizza for lunch and I was bloated and had indigestion not an hour later. Very uncomfortable!

Here's my list of no-no foods:

- wheat
- dairy, including eggs
- carbonated drinks
- artificial sweetener
- coffee
- chocolate
- anything spicy
- limited tomato-based foods
- fatty, fried, greasy foods
- anything acidic (oranges)
- red meat

This basically leaves me with eating chicken/turkey, vegetables, some fruit, and brown rice. Which is probably what I should be eating anyway!

I don't have much advice, unfortunately,,, stilll trying to fight this battle myself!
2Fat4myJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

Well.... I don't eat very much wheat at all (just the Honey 7-grain bread - and that's not even every day - maybe once or twice a week...) so I don't think that's it.

The nurse practitioner told me it probably IS an ulcer, but that Prilosec will fix it. (What the....?????)

If I recall correctly, it started out as a "sometimes" problem whenever I had dairy. Usually milk. I use only skim milk - since I was a kid. So a month or little more ago, I noticed that my stomach got upset when I had cereal, or drank a small glass of milk with my breakfast. So for while I quit drinking milk. No cheese... no eggs, nuthin'. But then I noticed that I was having this weird pain no matter WHAT I ate. And now - like today... I didn't eat ANY lunch, and it's still hurting me as tho I did. Since about last Friday, I've been doing breakfast & lunch Slim-Fast (chocolate is the ONLY one I like!) and the one I drink IS the new "Lactose & Gluten Free".... so maybe that IS it...??? Cause I haven't hurt much at all when I do that. And I had Chicken Noodle Soup (Campbell's) for dinner the other night, & Tomato Soup yesterday for lunch...& I didn't hurt.

I think sugar may be a severe culprit, but I'm not sure yet. It takes a while to cut out certain foods & see if this works or that works, etc. All I know is that I had a small bowl of cereal this morning for breakfast (Cinnamon Life with skim milk) and a cup of my 1/2 decaf coffee like I always do - around 7:00, which is my normal time. I felt fine all morning, until about 10:30 or 10:45... then I started hurting. So I didn't do anything for lunch. It's been hurting me ever since.

I just talked to the doc's office - I can't get an appt to see the doc until late May... so I agreed to see the nurse practitioner again.... tomorrow at 2:45. I can hardly wait...
Old 04-18-2007, 03:19 PM   #14  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I agree with 2Fat4MyJeans' list, and I'd like to add my personal no-no foods: artificial colouring and MSG. Is it possible that you are sensitive to these, too, and the slim fast & soups are actually aggravating things? Also, I find that even a small amount of coffee (with or without caffeine) will make me sick for 2-3 days.

I hate picking apart other's diets, so please take all this advice with a grain of salt.

Edit: going back to the doctor is a great idea. Good luck; I hope you feel better!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #15  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maalisse View Post
I agree with 2Fat4MyJeans' list, and I'd like to add my personal no-no foods: artificial colouring and MSG. Is it possible that you are sensitive to these, too, and the slim fast & soups are actually aggravating things?
But Slim-Fast & soup are the things I have eaten that DIDN'T cause me pain.

Quote:
Also, I find that even a small amount of coffee (with or without caffeine) will make me sick for 2-3 days.
If I have to give up coffee, I can do that. NO PROB! .... what about tea?? Do you think that would be bad??

Quote:
I hate picking apart other's diets, so please take all this advice with a grain of salt.
I don't think I should have any salt right now, but thanks anyway!