Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/152.8/135

Height: 5'3"

Lightbulb I have a question....

I have a question about weight training and I was wondering if anyone had some advice....(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

A few years ago I lost almost 50lbs. I got down to 142 without any exercise what so ever (I was on Adkins). I have since gained it back and am now halfway through losing it...again. My question is, I have been working out this time almost everyday (treadmill and resistance bands, free weights) so do you think if I get down to 142 again my body could potentially be 'smaller' or leaner? I have read in some people's posts on here that weight training has helped people wear a smaller size even though the scale is at the same place.

I am just anxious about looking the way I want at some point this summer. The idea of being a blob at the pool again this summer is making my stomach turn.
AllyCat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #2  
I restore Teeth.

I think any sort of muscle building exercise will make anyone leaner, but the truth is that it really depends on the individual's body.

Don't anticipate smooth weight loss and gradual size decreasing like a regular paycheck; if you plateau sometime before the summer even begins you might find yourself extremely disappointed. I guess this is why I never anticipate anything...
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think if you are building muscle (and it's hard to know how much you're building from what you're doing), then it is certainly possible that your body mass at 142 will be leaner this time around.

I do a lot of weight training and went through a weight plateau for several months -- I didn't lose weight, but lost a size. However, I'm lifting several days for an hour at a stretch and really seeing some improvements in strength and muscle development. I am confident I have added muscle mass. If you're doing only very light weights you might not see this kind of development.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

You would definitely look different at 142 with muscle than without. For example, if you gained 5 pounds of muscle, then at 142 you would really look as you would have at your old pre-weights 137, only you'd actually look better at the 142 but with weights because you'd see the muscles and look more toned.

I agree with wyllen that lifting heavy generally gets you much better and quicker results. First you must have your form down before you can go heavier so if you're not ready for that then don't rush adding weight. I started out years ago (14 years to be exact) doing the usual 3 sets of 12 repetitions. After about 3 years I switched to doing 2 sets of 10-15 reps as heavy as possible. I had read the last set is a waste of time because your muscles have already torn and I have found that to be absolutely true for my results.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:22 AM   #5  

You would definitely look different at 142 with muscle than without. For example, if you gained 5 pounds of muscle, then at 142 you would really look as you would have at your old pre-weights 137, only you'd actually look better at the 142 but with weights because you'd see the muscles and look more toned.

I agree with wyllen that lifting heavy generally gets you much better and quicker results. First you must have your form down before you can go heavier so if you're not ready for that then don't rush adding weight. I started out years ago (14 years to be exact) doing the usual 3 sets of 12 repetitions. After about 3 years I switched to doing 2 sets of 10-15 reps as heavy as possible. I had read the last set is a waste of time because your muscles have already torn and I have found that to be absolutely true for my results.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #6