Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #16  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl14 View Post
I am not affected by caffeine like other people seem to be. It will perk me up a bit, but I can make a vanilla latte with the Starbucks Espresso pods, low-fat milk, vanilla and Splenda and go to sleep shortly after drinking it.
That's because there's very little caffeine in a latte; a shot of espresso has about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of green tea. People think that espresso has more caffeine than coffee, but this isn't true. It tastes stronger because it is made with pressure, not because it has more caffeine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
He ordered a coffee - looked like ~ 16 oz cup. And put in 7, (SEVEN) sugars and 4 creamers. Holy sugar rush batman!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowGirl View Post
Try a non fat latte, they are very satisifying too.
A Starbuck's tall (the smallest size), non-fat latte with no sugar or syrup still has 120 calories! That's a lot of calories for me for a beverage, even if the milk is good for me. It's almost 10% of my daily calorie allotment. So non-fat lattes are a once or twice a year treat; any latte other than non-fat is totally out of the question, despite the fact that I can definitely taste the difference.

I have to say that since I started counting calories, my drink order at Starbucks has gotten really complicated. I practically have to write it down. Tall, decaf, non-fat, sugar-free, extra hot, cinnamon dolce latte (usually in my own cup).
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:29 PM   #17  
believing

S/C/G: 184/156/124

Height: 5'0

This is a test...my first post...but I drink 4 cups of coffee a day...
realkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #18  
believing

Ok so my sig doesn't work.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #19  
believing

Thank you for letting me post first in your thread.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:47 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I love coffee. I drink tons of it. I think I would be a half-zombie without it.

I used to drink it with milk and sugar, and several years ago, before I started to try to deal with my weight, I added it all up and found that I was consuming about 300 calories a day, just in the milk and sugar I added to coffee! I switched to black, which took some getting used to, and lost 10 pounds over the next few months. Now I can't even bear a latte. Even with an extra shot of espresso, it still tastes like a cup of hot milk.

If I want a treat, and not just drip coffee or espresso, I get a double short americano. Hardly any calories, tons of caffeine and tons of coffee flavor. Perfect!
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 05:30 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 158/155/120

Maybe you can try tea instead of coffee. Its very healthy, containts a lot of anti-oxidants and there are many delicious flavours out there. Or what do you think about herb/fruit infusions? I simple adore them! And 0 cals!!
jacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 182/154/135

Height: 5'4

Hi there,

Well caffine doesn't have much effect on me and I always take hot drinks without milk, cream or sugar (I gave all that stuff up for lent once when I was a kid and never looked back), so I have to admit I drinks lots and lots of coffee. I have been known to sit down with a huge pot and the Sunday papers and drink cup after cup.

I found that coffee is the one thing that can get rid of my chocolate urges. Really strong black coffee has that same 'beany' richness so I use it for that as I have really sweet tooth.

If it's not something you need for a specific reason in your diet I wouldn't aim to start drinking loads of coffee. But if you like it and it gets you through the day, don't worry about it. There are much worst things you could be putting into your body!
doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #23  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Ok.. so... you can take away my chocolate, and you can take away my cookies.. but I have to draw the line somewhere.

I am going to drink my coffee, and I am going to have my 2 tsp of raw sugar and my tbls of hersheys chocolate creamer (45 cals) and I am going to love it and I may even have 2 cups
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

If any diet completely takes away my coffee, that's my last day on that diet.

Of course, I have deliberately weaned myself down to one or two cups a week as really needed. I have a hard time drinking it without half & half. I'd rather go without than have less than perfect coffee. Besides, makes the coffee work even better on days you do drink it. lol

I find that approximately 100 calories for a skim latte is a great once a week treat not once a year. Not a big skim milk fan, so unless you combine it with a shot of coffee and sugar free syrup, I'm not drinking it anyways. Nutritionally, I'd assume it's better for you than eating a 100 calorie pack. Which are forbidden on South Beach anyways.

After thinking about coffee, now I need to go out and get a cup.
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:27 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 190/152.8/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2ShedLBS View Post
Ok.. so... you can take away my chocolate, and you can take away my cookies.. but I have to draw the line somewhere.
I am going to drink my coffee, and I am going to have my 2 tsp of raw sugar and my tbls of hersheys chocolate creamer (45 cals) and I am going to love it and I may even have 2 cups
I am so with you on that! I cannot function without coffee. On my second cup of the day....

I just noticed that we are at similar current weight and height and have almost the same goal! Yay!
AllyCat30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #26  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post

It is worth mentioning that a tall (12 oz) Starbucks coffee has anywhere from 2 to 6 times the amount of caffeine in normal brewed coffee. They make their coffee ridiculously strong.
Haha, I don't even want to imagine the caffeine multiplier with Peet's brewed coffee (tastes like a cup full 'o espresso! )

And my standard drink of choice now is Americano (espresso + water) or red eye (espresso + coffee) with a shot of peppermint syrup, and I add in my own whole milk. I guesstimate about 75-100 calories, but the minty smell & taste plus all that caffeine is very invigorating!
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i love coffee..use to be a big starbucks fan until 1. cost, 2. calories, 3. found great coffee at home. Every morning i make my espresso (using a wonderful francis X5 machine) and steam 1 cup of skim milk (90 cals) and 1 tsp of raw sugar (30 cals). Worth it for me...and the milk is an important source of calcium that has been scientifically proven to help boost weight loss. So i think caffine in moderation is ok.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:47 PM   #28  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyCat30 View Post
I am so with you on that! I cannot function without coffee. On my second cup of the day....

I just noticed that we are at similar current weight and height and have almost the same goal! Yay!

I never even noticed that.. Yay us! lol.. now since I have started my 39 day challenge.. I might get somewhere lol
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:27 PM   #29  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Self-confessed Espresso Head here

I work at SB HQ here in Europe. Coffee "drinks" are made with espresso and not coffee (for the most part) It's not true that SB uses MORE beans than regular drip coffee, they are using espresso roast (which is different from beans roasted for drip coffee purposes). It's an acquired taste, the roasts that SB makes, but one I LOVED long before I started working for them.

Coffee shouldn't undermine your weight loss efforts. Because I have easy access to coffee/espresso drinks any time I want, I have to watch myself. I now have normally two "drinks" per day and if I want coffee, I'll get the drip brew, black. Normally though I have tea in between latte's. I also drink AT LEAST 2 litres of water per day or more - the more coffee you drink the more water you need as it can dehydrate you.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote