Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 PM   #16  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Sorry to hear that...

Hey there! I do know exactly what you are talking about with Drs blaming weight for everything (I would assume it is just as bad if you smoke) Unfortunately, I don't have any insight into your own problem...I would just have to say do as much research as you can on your own of what the possible causes are and maybe check out some medical forums from people who are having the same symptoms as you and keep trying to find a Dr who will listen to you.

I know this because I had a similar problem a little over a year ago with Drs I have my cholesterol, blood sugar, thyroid, etc tested every year when I go in for my pap. I had a perfectly normal test the year before...then in Aug of that year I was put on birth control pills for fibroid/period problems... I was still exercising and watching my diet like always...nothing had changed...but when I went in for my test after being on the pill for about 7 mos my numbers were through the roof! Triglycerides were scary! I had them re test me several times...each worse than before...I went to a cholesterol class (which I could have taught) They wanted to put me on cholesterol lowering drugs!!! I was resistant to that and started thinking...the pill was the only factor that had changed in my life...then I went out to some forums asking the question if birth control pills had raised anyone elses levels...there were quite a few people that had noticed their levels were raised after starting on the pills... And if you read the pamphlets with your pills they recommend not taking them or talking to your Dr if you have high cholesterol or blood pressure etc etc...hmmmm wonder why? Could it be that it *might affect those levels!!!* Anyway, I talked to my Dr about it and he was resistant to the idea but was openminded enough to entertain the notion...I went off the pills and was tested after 6 weeks...my cholesterol had dropped significantly (still slightly high) but my triglycerides had went COMPLETELY back to normal!!! I am not saying that they effect everyone like this but it is at least something people should be aware of if they are trying to put you on CHOLESTEROL LOWERING DRUGS, don't you think!!! Anyway, I am off the pills...still dealing with the other issues but I am definitely aware that I need to be my own health advocate and I think everyone else should be too!

I hope you find the answer to your own problem very soon...hugs!!!
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 AM   #17  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Raven!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!! My point, exactly! They don't even BOTHER to look up the side effects, and when you experience them, they just want to give you MORE MEDS instead of taking the time to figure out what's going on. Sorry, but I don't know how to include quotes in my posts (computer-challenged, here...) but whoever it was (and other than this observation, I'm sure you're a very intelligent woman...after all, you're hanging out with US...
) but WHOEVER said that drs are, after all, more educated than WE are....well, m'dear, how do you know they didn't sleep through all their classes, for pity's sake? Just because someone has their license to PRACTICE medicine (keep in mind that the key word here is *practice*) doesn't neccessarily mean that they know more than WE do about our bodies, nor do they neccessarily know any more than someone who actually does some research for themselves. And when you think about the way most of them went through their residencies - working 20 hours out of 24, exhausted, making mistakes, mistreating, never even having the time to think straight, never mind LEARN ....well, all I can say is that most of us who are educated in other disciplines don't learn - or attempt to learn - under such adverse conditions. Is it any wonder that when they finish up their residencies and start *practicing* they feel entitled to make as much money as they can with as little effort as possible? NO...I KNOW they're not ALL like that. NO profession has 100% slouches in it...but I would really have to say that with the way medicine is practiced today, there are a disproportionate number of hacks in it. I DON'T blame them entirely. There may have been some idealism in the beginning...MAY have been....but the system really does discourage it. Doctors today are like assembly line workers...get 'em in, throw some pills at 'em, collect your money and get 'em out. (Or tell 'em to quit smoking and lose weight...and the ones who do that are actually doing LESS harm than the ones who throw you a pill not knowing what it may do to you).
Tsk.
More educated.
Tsk, tsk.
Ella the opinionated
ellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #18  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Narcolepsy?

I see a lot of older people who just do whatever the dr. tells them, without question. They don't bother to find out anything on their own. The dr. just must know. These people are usually put on medications--statins for cholesterol, anti-GERD medication, Lasix, beta-blockers, and of course Prozac.

The pharmaceutical companies teach in medical schools. What do people expect?

Then there is another group of people who want to MAKE the dr. DO THE RIGHT THING and FIND OUT WHAT'S WRONG and FIX IT. This can be a fool's quest. Once a dr. tells me there's "nothing wrong" from the tests, I start looking around on my own. I agree with other posters that one really does have to do some investigation this way. "Buyer beware" applies to everything.

That said, Rock Chalk Chick, I noticed that you mentioned narcolepsy. In my family we have a "mild" version of that. I, too, can easily fall asleep in a meeting. One thing that makes it worse is sugar or refined carbohydrates. I used to have a long commute, and I would have to stop halfway home and take a quick nap in my car or risk falling asleep at the wheel. But if I did not add sugar to the cup of coffee I drank before I left work, I did not have to stop.

Cheers!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
That said, Rock Chalk Chick, I noticed that you mentioned narcolepsy. In my family we have a "mild" version of that. I, too, can easily fall asleep in a meeting. One thing that makes it worse is sugar or refined carbohydrates. I used to have a long commute, and I would have to stop halfway home and take a quick nap in my car or risk falling asleep at the wheel. But if I did not add sugar to the cup of coffee I drank before I left work, I did not have to stop.
Hmmmm... I'm starting to wonder if that was my problem lo those many years.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:55 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

here's my recommendations...first try to eliminate a lot of extra carbs...some ppl have allergies to wheat, gluten etc. Second...get another opinion. See if you doc could referr you to an internal medicine specailist...not just a GP or sleep disorder clinic. It appears according to the results..you don't have a sleep disorder. An internist goes into more detail. Also i do think an holistic doctor may be in order. Maybe see both the internist and the holistic doc. Obviously what you have IS NOT NORMAL. Don't give up until you find an answer. Start doing some internet research (but realize not everything out there is good info). Start looking for ppl who have similar signs/symptoms. But get a referral. Obviously you need it. It sounds like what you have is a bit more advance that your gp (general practicnor) depth of knowledge or the sleep clinic's knowledge. So now its time to see someone more advance. If your doc won't do it...go see another gp with all your labs/test etc. Get opinions until your blue in the face...and for pet's sake..don't stop until you find an answer. If you are eating properly and doing moderate exercise..then you should feel energized not crashing every few mintues. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:56 PM   #21  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I can definitely feel for your situation. I call it the TDF or (too darn fat)diagnosis. I've had it many times myself. This TDF diagnosis was given to me for Congestive Heart Failure, Hypertension, Gout, Asthma, Liver Disease, Tachycardia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Prolapsed Uterus, Gallbladder Disease, Broken Ankle, Diabetes, Repeated Abdominal Hernias and Bowel Obstruction. As you can see, most EVERYTHING was TDF. Granted wt. loss did help most all of my medical problems. I got sick of hearing TDF.

Being tired all the time and falling asleep frequently can be symptomatic of many different medical problems. Ex. with my liver disease, the number one symptom is severe exhaustion. This is true for other medical issues as well. Keep looking and try to get to the bottom of what is the Real Issue. In the meantime, I would advise the healthy eating and exercise. It certainly can't hurt and most likely will help no matter what the problem is.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:23 PM   #22  

Height: 5'5"

Lilybelle is right, you should definitely do your best to rule out any medical issues, but I also wanted to second the person who said that you might be over-training. There was a period about two years ago when I was working out intensly and under-estimating my activity level (I was on WW at the time). I was so tired that I didn't know what to do with myself, and it got to the point that I couldn't stop yawning and falling asleep during my workouts. Make sure you're eating enough calories to fuel yourself, and make sure that they're as clean as possible.

That's all assuming you were working out when this problem started. Do you mind if I ask what a typical day is for you eating and activity-wise?
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I tend to think that "regular" doctors are really good with emergency situations, but they aren't very good with the non-life-threatening ones. I would try to seek out another Dr. Perhaps an ND (Naturopath) or maybe a DO (regular doc with chiropractic schooling added) as they tend to be more apt to look for the problem and not just treat the symptoms.

Personally, I used to have a big problem with my energy level. In fact, my old roommate used to always ask if I was pregnant because I was always sleeping. It turns out that I had a vitamin deficiency. I did not find this out through a doctor, but on my own. I can't take hard vitamins because they come right back up, so I had never bothered to take them. Once I found a liquid vitamin that I liked my energy level soared! Currently I'm taking an adult chewable that I found and my energy is great.

I also agree that 8 hours of sleep may not be enough. I don't feel rested until I've slept 9 hours. I've learned to except that my body just needs a little more than most people. My DH feels rested after only sleeping 7 hours. I think 8 hours is a general number and that you may need to customize your sleep habits for you own body.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:55 PM   #24  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

First, I'd like to thank everyone for all the replies - even the ones that I may not want to hear!

I realize that my weight may certainly be a contributing factor to this issue, and that losing weight may help. At the same time, I just can't believe that it's simply excess weight that's causing me to sleep 9 or 10 hours a night and still get drowsy any time I sit still. I don't feel tired or physically exhausted, I just get sleepy and doze when I'm sitting in meetings or any time I'm not on my feet. It's frustrating to feel like a slacker and know that my professors may not realize that I'm trying like crazy to pay attention.

As for my usual routine - I'm typically up at 6, grab a quick snack (a banana or protein bar) and a bottle of water on my way out the door to the pool (M,W,Th,Sat) or before a run (4 miles Tues, 3 on Fridays). I eat breakfast around 7 after my workout (1 or 2 hardboiled eggs/WW toast/fruit/milk, or a WW waffle/peanut butter/fruit/milk), pack my lunch, and bike or walk to work (under a mile). I have an apple with peanut butter or a oatmeal bar as a snack mid-morning. Lunch varies, but I usually try to get some sort of lean protein, whole grains, and as many veggies as I can (yesterday was salmon with 1/2 cup brown rice, a salad with viniagrette, and steamed frozen broc-and-cauliflower). I have another fruit and cottage cheese or yogurt mid-afternoon and try to head out for a bike workout 2 afternoons a week (before it gets dark) and then leave work around 6-7. I often eat something small before leaving work or as soon as I get home (fruit or raw veggies) before starting to cook dinner (similar to lunch - aim for lean protein, lots of veggies, and around 400 calories or less). I do some quick weights in my basement after dinner 2-3 nights a week, and now that it's getting warm out, I sometimes go for a walk or go rollerblading after dinner, but lately I'm ready for bed by 9 and out cold well before 9:30.

For the past year or so, I've been using a device called a bodybugg (not sure if posting the link would violate the "external link" rules), which uses a variety of sensors to estimate your calorie burn through the day (kind of like a pedometer on steroids - supposedly measures calorie burn within 95% accuracy). Along with a food log, it keeps a pretty close report on how much of a calorie deficit I accumulate through the day - I typically eat about 2200-2500 calories and burn 3000-3400 when in full training (like now). I know that when I fall short of my intake goal, I can feel more tired, but if I keep things within range I do pretty well, especially if I space things out through the day (I eat a lot of snacks and my "meals" are usually small).

Once I started realizing what a problem this sleepy issue is, I've become more frustrated. I'd noticed it off and on for the last few years, but assumed I was just not sleeping enough, etc; I finally decided to make an effort to get good quality sleep for 30 days straight and it didn't really remedy things. I started to check out what might be causing problems - I modified my diet one way and then another, I laid back on my training for a few weeks, I kicked my cats out of my bed, etc. Several things helped my energy levels slightly, but nothing really fixed the problem. That's when I figured it went beyond my own control, and started bringing the doctors into it. Blood tests, physicals, and now the sleep study - none of which have really given any information.

I know that my diet and exercise habits affect my energy levels - I feel 100% better when I'm eating lots of fresh produce and minimal processed junk and I'm staying active. But it still isn't really alleviating the fact that I fall asleep at the most inopportune moments.

Again, thanks for the thoughts - I'm not in denial about my weight and that it could affect my health. At the same time, telling me that I have weight-related sleep apnea when the tests say the opposite seems like handing me cholesterol-lowering drugs when my blood tests are perfect, just because I'm fat and fat people have high cholesterol.
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:29 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

okay...so let me get this straight?????? you are eating 2200-2500 cals a day and burning (according to your bodybugg) possible upt to 3500 cals a day. Well no wonder then you are tired...sounds like you are overworking your body and not giving your poor body fuel. Usually you need you don't want to burn more than you have taken in. This really could be your problem. It may very well be you aren't eating enough for all you are doing. And you may actually be starving your body. I would first try with eating a heck of a lot more calories. Let us know what happens. good luck
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:02 PM   #26  
New mom, aspiring DVM

S/C/G: 280/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Well, as I'm trying to lose weight, I need to maintain net loss of calories - that's how it works: you eat less than you burn in order to lose weight. Using the bodybugg has helped me see how much I actually burn, which explains why I was really suffering in previous diets when I thought I needed to stay below 1500 calories/day to see any outcome. As it is, I burn about 500-1000 calories more per day than I take in (I aim for an average of 750/day, while not obsessing over any given day), which allows me to lose about a pound and a half per week (500/dayx7=3500=1 pound) while still fueling my workouts. I cut back my workouts to burn under 2500 while maintaining 2000+ calories in for two weeks back in October to see if I was overdoing - if anything, I felt more sluggish because I lost the energy that working out gives me.

I make sure I eat enough to keep myself fueled and to (hopefully) avoid any nutrient deficiencies. I know that if I fall below 2000 calories a day, I tend to get lightheaded and feel less than optimal - as long as I stay about 2000 or a little more, and, more importantly, keep my food "clean" (minimal refined sugar and processed junk), I feel good and have plenty of energy for my day and my workouts.
Rock Chalk Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #27  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Your food list looks pretty good, and it sounds like you really know what is going on in your body, Rock Chalk. What if you lowered your workouts and food, though, so you were only burning, say, 2600-2700 calories a day, and eating 2000-2200 cals? That would mean slower weight loss, but might mean more energy.

I'd probably drop dead if I were working out that much! You must be a young thing.

BTW, have you been losing weight during the past 6 months, and your S/C/G just doesn't show it? Because if the number of calories are accurate, you should have lost many pounds during that time.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #28  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
I would try to seek out another Dr. Perhaps an ND (Naturopath) or maybe a DO (regular doc with chiropractic schooling added) as they tend to be more apt to look for the problem and not just treat the symptoms.

DO is a doctor of osteopathic medicine, and not all DOs have chiropathic background (it depends on their schooling), as I know one D.O. who functions like an MD anesthiosiologist.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

It seems like you're following the "model plan"; all the exercising, calorie deficits, nutritious foods. My question is, if this is how you normally eat, how did you become obese? In other words, how long have you been following this model healthy lifestyle and what was your lifestyle like before you started your weight loss plan? Years of eating non-nutritious foods and not exercising can take its toll on ones health I would guess. But then again that would be describing DH and he never gets sick..though he's naturally thin (body fat is 8%) so maybe its just really really hard on your body to carry extra weight.

I've never been more than 10 pounds overweight before this past year, and I can tell you the difference in my energy levels from an extra 30 pounds was astounding and so noticeable to me. Also, fat does affect hormone levels (especially some very dangerous ones from belly fat that cause havoc on the body), which can have a major impact on how we feel.

But I do agree, regardless of the fact that being obese is somewhat of a starting point when trying to guess the cause of a disease, there may be some sort of underlying factor at this point that would cause such abnormal symptoms (i.e. most overweight people do not report falling asleep at meetings etc).

With regard to doctors, I dont think they're miracle workers and in most cases they're not scientists either, just technicians to implement the latest tests and medications. They're just average folks who are performing a service and they should not be held up on a pedastal, either to trust and hang on their every word in lieu of your own judgment as to what is right for you, nor should they be expected to stay up nights researching your issue..they do not have laboratories and they are not scientists testing theories and that. Expect out of them what you're getting. Shop around in case someone else can get to the bottom of your problem. Hope you feel better.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #30  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Personally, I used to have a big problem with my energy level. In fact, my old roommate used to always ask if I was pregnant because I was always sleeping. It turns out that I had a vitamin deficiency. I did not find this out through a doctor, but on my own. I can't take hard vitamins because they come right back up, so I had never bothered to take them. Once I found a liquid vitamin that I liked my energy level soared! Currently I'm taking an adult chewable that I found and my energy is great.

I also agree that 8 hours of sleep may not be enough. I don't feel rested until I've slept 9 hours. I've learned to except that my body just needs a little more than most people. My DH feels rested after only sleeping 7 hours. I think 8 hours is a general number and that you may need to customize your sleep habits for you own body.
Ok, your old roomie thought you were preggies simply because you slept a lot??!! That's a new one on me! Seriously though, I'm in the same boat as you on this issue, because I frequently find myself having to sleep during the day before I can "refresh" myself for the rest of the day. Will look up some vitamins and see how that goes for myself. Thanks!
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote