Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #1  
Skinny Chick in Training

S/C/G: 191/178-182???/145

Height: 5' 9"

Unhappy Still having trouble :( Really discouraged here!

Hi everyone, I have been seeing other forums but still am not getting anywhere. I went over to calorie count to see if they could help and they are all at a loss.

I feel like I am beating this to death but I am STILL not losing!

I am eating healthy. Eating more fruits and veggies. Nothing refined or sugary.

Here is yet another run down of what I have been trying:

I am 27, 5'9'' and weigh 180. I get 1881 on calorie count as a sedentary state and exercise 6 days a week with Power 90. They estimate the calories burned at 300 according to the Beachbody BB post here. I started exercising on 2/27 (note that this is after starting to calorie count).

Started calorie counting with my spreadsheet on 1/27 but started low calories on or before 1/25.

1/27 - 2/8 I average 1184 calories a day.
2/9 - 3/3 I averaged 1322.

Still not losing I decided to take others advice and up the calories but just a little.

3/4 to 3/12 I averaged 1577.

STILL not losing I am now calorie cycling at 1500 and 1800 and this is day 13 of that.

By all means I should have lost something like 14 lbs by now. I have lost a whopping 5 (and that is giving room since really I started at about 183-185 but was on tom so its hard to say with the bloat). and mind you those 5 was in the fist week and a half.

I also have already had my thyroid checked.

My tsh was: .799 (range .25 - 5) normal and .96 the next.
t4:12.7 (range 4.5 - 12) HIGH
Free T4: 1.1 (range .8 - 1.8) normal

I am at my WITS END. I am by no means giving up EVER but it sure would be nice to see some results. And yes I am measuring waist and hips. NOTHING is changing!! (not to mention I measure to the gram on my food!!)

Am I to low still on calories? The workouts are pretty intense but not very long. Just today I went up to the next level which is alot harder with more calories burned. The maker of the product estimates 300 for the lower level and 400 for the higher, but like I said this is only the first day at the higher one for me.

I have tried atkins before and I didnt lose. My body is SERIOUSLY resisting me. And the weird thing is I can EAT more and still not lose or gain. For example last week we went out to chinese for the first time in ages. My stomach DID not like that and cramped for like an hour (I have an aversion to throwing up but if I didnt I probably would have). Nothing. Not one ounce more, not one ounce less.

Anyway there is my long whiny complaint!!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #2  
Skinny Chick in Training

please note that my ticker is my all time high weight NOT my start weight LOL
Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227/219.5/150

Height: 5'5

I would try keeping consistent at a higher calorie range for awhile. Your body may still be rebounding from the lower calorie range (I really believe that anything below 1500 for somone that is over 150 is pretty low).

And don't underestimate the amount of water muscles can hold when they are sore. I would just make sure you are resting (and sleeping enough) and drinking enough water and weight should start coming off a little more rapidly. And if it makes you feel any better slow weight loss tends to be more permanent weight loss. Please don't get discouraged and keep going!

*Hugs*

Mirth
Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sumisan! Hello!

Well, estimates can be wrong. Your sedentary calories burned sounds OK, but are you sure that you are burning 300 with Power 90? Their estimates may be off. How long is the workout--I don't know what Power 90 involves.

I lose pretty slowly, but not that slowly. I disagree with the poster who thinks you should stay above 1500, since that hasn't worked. (In my case, I would be gaining on that amount.) I'd go back around 1300, and I would add some additional exercise so that your are being active twice a day. Try taking a walk in the morning, if you can. 20 minutes to 30 minutes would be good. Then do the workout later in the day. That way you keep your muscles more active throughout the day.

Also, how are you tracking your calories? Do you look them up in a book, or do you have some sort of computerized list of foods and calories? Sometimes one can be far off on calories and not know it. You might see, just as a test, whether you get the same number in FitDay as you do from your spreadsheet for a few of your past days. Just enter everything into FitDay and see how it comes out.

Jay
Old 03-26-2007, 09:00 PM   #5  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Ah, Sumi. I sure wish I could wave the magic wand and disappear that weight for you. Heck! I wish I could do it for me! I've been losing right around a pound a week and been very disappointed with that. This isn't the first time I've needed to lose weight...isn't even the tenth time, probably. In the past, I've always lost quicker than this. Of course I've always gained it back eventually, too, so that's no great accomplishment. I just can't imagine - with all the exercise you're getting - why you wouldn't be losing, if not weight, then inches at least. I DO think that you're now a bit high on calories for weight loss, but it actually might be a GOOD thing. Maybe NOW if you drop back down, you'll see a good loss. I think if I were you, I'd jump back to 1200-1400 calories a day again for a week and see if that doesn't jolt that stubborn body of yours back on track. There you have my twenty-five cent's worth. Good luck!

TTFN,

Ella
Old 03-26-2007, 10:04 PM   #6  

There's no mention of water in your post, I don't have evidence but my own body and I'm sure others too but water makes a HUGE difference in dropping the weight for me. If you're not already getting it, go for 8 cups/2L or more.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:18 PM   #7  
Skinny Chick in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
but are you sure that you are burning 300 with Power 90? Their estimates may be off. How long is the workout--I don't know what Power 90 involves.
It's a 90 day boot camp type workout, they state that this is an underestimate. The workout is 35 minutes for cardio with 5 minutes more on abs. and is 30 minuted long for strength (circuit type with resistance bands).

Quote:
I lose pretty slowly, but not that slowly. I disagree with the poster who thinks you should stay above 1500, since that hasn't worked. (In my case, I would be gaining on that amount.) I'd go back around 1300, and I would add some additional exercise so that your are being active twice a day. Try taking a walk in the morning, if you can. 20 minutes to 30 minutes would be good. Then do the workout later in the day. That way you keep your muscles more active throughout the day.
I am so confused at this point, half the people say be careful of starvation mode and the other half say its a myth, and here I am and I dont lose high or low LOL I would really hate to go back down to find out that I mess myself up again. I just up's my workouts so maybe that will help, they are now 45 minutes with about 10 minutes on abs. Not sure about the strength one yet, a bit scared after today LOL

Quote:
Also, how are you tracking your calories? Do you look them up in a book, or do you have some sort of computerized list of foods and calories? Sometimes one can be far off on calories and not know it. You might see, just as a test, whether you get the same number in FitDay as you do from your spreadsheet for a few of your past days. Just enter everything into FitDay and see how it comes out.
I use calorie count right now, but my spreadsheet used the actual labels from the items I ate unless it was something like fruits and veggies, which in that case I looked it up online, usually with calorie count LOL Anyway not using the spreadsheet for that anymore now its strickly calorie count. And I always double check with the labels and weigh to the gram LOL
Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 PM   #8  
Skinny Chick in Training

Your right, my week spot is water, I drink tea, LOTS of tea, I will try to drink more plain water and see if that helps, try and get a little exercise in the morning, to start off with. The I will drop back down on calories if all else fails?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

If 1300 seems too low, try a little more, like 1350 average.

The rule of thumb is, don't go below 1200. But if you are at 1140 or so at the end of the day now and then, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Something about exercise--the "old school" way of looking at it was that for "fat burning" your heart rate should be lower than for "cardio." Do you track your heart rate during your workout? The reason this can be important is that maximum fat burning takes place at a lower heart rate than cardio training. At least, that was the theory. If you exercise too hard, your muscles don't get enough oxygen to burn fat efficiently.

Anyway, decide on a path to try for the next two weeks and stick to it, see what happens this time.

Are you taking any medications, BTW?

Jay
Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

That must be really hard for you! We can see you're really trying.

Maybe you can get your resting metabolic rate tested to see what your base daily calorie amount should be. I got this recently and my insurance covered it as it was given by a registered dietician. Tells you exactly how many calories you're burning per day (based on breathing into the machine for 10 minutes), a range for lifestyle activities, and calories burned during 30 minutes of moderate cardio.

Also, if you really are living a sedentary life, just adding a small amount of exercise may not be enough. I live in NYC, where I walk 3/4 of a mile to get to work (this includes up and down stairs in the train); plus a few blocks to get something to eat at lunch; and another 3/4 of a mile to get home. Then I live on the 4th floor of my WALK UP building and I have to walk my dog in the morning and sometimes at night so up and down ALL THOSE STEPS. Whenever we get home DH drops me and the baby off while he looks for parking. So I have to carry little DD up the 4 flights!

With all that I still need plenty of exercise (though I do eat a lot more than you on average, but then the RMR test said I had a higher than normal metabolism so I need that extra I think). I've been exercising to burn around 2000 calories per week since I got my new elliptical.

Point is, sometimes you have to really step it up (and mix it up) with the exercise if your lifestyle is really sedentary.

Last edited by Mami; 03-27-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #11  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Hopefully not adding to the confusion, but I'd keep the calories at around the 1,600 level -- which is where I'm at and I'm still consistently losing (I know everyone's different, but if your resting metabolism is 1,800 calories AND you're exercising, you should still lose @ 1,600).

If you or a friend have a body fat scale - maybe check to see if your body fat % dropped over next few weeks? You maybe building some metabolism-boosting lean muscle.

But yea, I'm generally at wit's end @ your scenario too. But keep up the good work and try not to get too discouraged and not fall off the wagon.

Finally, a 14 pound drop expectation over 8 weeks is a bit high (usually .5 to 1.5/wk is more realistic and less frustrating) ~ and a 5 pound drop so far is not bad at all. You mentioned losing those over the first 1.5 weeks, which could've been water weight (and water your body is now retaining may be flushing out fat - a GOOD THING.)
Old 03-27-2007, 07:16 AM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't lose if I'm eating 1600 calories, in fact I gain. Sorry Warlock, of course we're all different. And lets face it men lose MUCH differently then women. I would keep the calories where you are, 1200 -1300, adding the water and just adding some plain old activity, just moving more. It DOES burn calories. Walk more. Take stairs instead of elevators, partk further away. Or perhaps an intentional extra 30 minute walk. Even 20 mins, 2X a day perhaps.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:38 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Something about exercise--the "old school" way of looking at it was that for "fat burning" your heart rate should be lower than for "cardio." Do you track your heart rate during your workout? The reason this can be important is that maximum fat burning takes place at a lower heart rate than cardio training. At least, that was the theory. If you exercise too hard, your muscles don't get enough oxygen to burn fat efficiently.
I've also heard this theory for many years. But..I'm no scientist BTW..if you notice its always the really slim in-shape types that are doing the hardcore cardio, rather than the slow supposedly fat burning level of exercise. And I would venture a guess that most of these types are not focused on their heart's cardio health, but on keeping their weight down (ya know..good ole fashioned vanity).

I think there's another theory that the body may not use fat right then and there when you're doing cardio at a higher level, but I think it REVS up your metabolism and your body will attack that fat later on for fuel so in the end you will have burned more total calories and will lose more fat as a consequence. I would definitely kick up the exercising to the highest level that you are capable of. Given how it has worked for the slim people, who again do not seem to be doing the really easy low-heart rate workouts but rather you see them sweating and going crazy on the cardio equipment or in an aerobics class, I'd give that a try.

It just seems your eating has been REALLY good and strict and I do NOT think the body will suddenly start losing or acting totally different because you go from say 1300 to 1350 calories. So I would look at the activity level. Also, your metabolism burns higher (more calories per hour) for I believe about 20 minutes after a good work out, so the more work out periods you have throughout the day (of at least a 20 to 30 minute duration) the more calories you're burning at rest (yet you get to eat more which also keeps your metabolism going).
Old 03-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Mami and I disagree about exercise. I always watch my heart rate when I exercise because I want to be in the aerobic range.

Max heart rate for females = (210 - 1/2 your age - 1% total wt) + 4
("Heart Zones" method.)

The aerobic range is 70% to 80% of the max heart rate.

There are other calculations one can do as well--check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_rate

The slim types can do cardio full-on because they are slim. I would drop dead if I tried to do that at my weight (and age).

Jay
Old 03-27-2007, 09:21 AM   #15  
Skinny Chick in Training

Quote:
The slim types can do cardio full-on because they are slim. I would drop dead if I tried to do that at my weight (and age).
LOL I would have to agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post
It just seems your eating has been REALLY good and strict and I do NOT think the body will suddenly start losing or acting totally different because you go from say 1300 to 1350 calories. So I would look at the activity level. Also, your metabolism burns higher (more calories per hour) for I believe about 20 minutes after a good work out, so the more work out periods you have throughout the day (of at least a 20 to 30 minute duration) the more calories you're burning at rest (yet you get to eat more which also keeps your metabolism going).
Well I am at 1628 averaged over 7 days with my alternations of 1500/1800. ([(4*1500)+(3*1800)]/7), I think I did go to low in the beggining though and I dont want to fall into that again. I am being more active now that my anemia is FINALLY getting better, getting up and cleaning and organizing, a little gardening and what not, plus the workouts, all of which I wasnt doing when I started due to lack of energy, as I only started feeling better at the end of Feb.

Quote:
The rule of thumb is, don't go below 1200. But if you are at 1140 or so at the end of the day now and then, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Anyway, decide on a path to try for the next two weeks and stick to it, see what happens this time.

Are you taking any medications, BTW?
Well everyone scared me to death about how I put myself in starvation mode so now I dont know what to do LOL Over on calorie-count they say dont have to big a deficit and dont go under 1200 net. Something like calories eaten minus calories burned through exercise is your net and then calories burned total minus calories eaten is your deficit. They said the deficit shouldnt be bigger than 500-750 AND your net should never be under 1200. Which puts me at no less than 1500. Maybe I will try and drop down to 1500 first just to be safe LOL

Yes, I take 1300 grams of iron. It's a major dose as they are flooding my system. I started that about a month and a half ago (I was at a much lower presciption dose before that, which wasnt working). Within 4 weeks my hemoglobin was up to normal But i still have to take it to get my ferriten up. There was a reason for my sed. lifestyle LOL But no one has told me that iron would effect anything.

I also had a minor (very minor but put under) surgery on Feb 6th. Its been so long now I dont see how that could be effecting me anymore LOL

Do you all not agree with the formula from calorie-count? They are very adiment about conservation mode over there.

I up'd the workout to the hard one, which is really intense. I couldnt get through it without nearly falling over by the end. Which is not horrible, that was how the easier one was in the beggining 30 days ago. I am hoping that will kick it up and as far as doing a little more, we still dont have a place to walk out here. Seems weird but I feel less safe on dirt roads in the country than on paved sidewalks in the city LOL And walking around in the field like a nut job will only bring me back hitch hicking ticks LOL But I am trying to work on the garden, and today is finally dry enough to get out there, that should count for something right And other than that I can try and do some dancin while cleaning the house LOL
Closed Thread