Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-26-2007, 12:33 PM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Self-Support

Hi everyone! I had a revelation this weekend, & just wanted to share!

As some of you know, my 'avatar' was taken in August 2005. I was 138 pounds at time of snapshot; 3 lbs from my goal of 135. It was the 6th time I have dieted/exercised my way to a healthy weight....

...and then rebounded back up ....this time to 178. (My highest ever weight, but my 2nd time hitting that weight!) I am currently 163, and finding it difficult to lose weight by diet alone (I'm an avid exerciser...) but unfortunately, I have no choice at the moment - I have a herniated disc in my back & my PT told me not to do ANYTHING strenuous for now. I have always maintained that "I can't lose weight by dieting alone! I have to exercise!!!" - BUT... I am down 15 lbs now - by dieting alone... proving to myself that YES I CAN. My goal is, once again, 135. I'd REALLY like to GET THERE & STAY THERE (my new mantra! ) ... because, as I have proven to myself many times, I CAN LOSE THE WEIGHT, I just haven't hit that "maintaining level" for more than 8 months. I know what I must do... I must not EVER go back to my old eating habits; I have to realize (by using my ENTIRE brain, LOL) that this isn't "a diet". It's a LIFESTYLE CHANGE OF HABITUAL EATING (or LCHE) and that's JUST THE WAY IT IS.

I think I'm almost there.

So here's my revelation: This weekend was the first "beach weekend" of the season for me & my best friend. We are constantly downing ourselves for gaining back the weight we've lost. We are constantly whining about wrinkles, sun spots, laugh lines, gray hairs, saggy boobs, chubby thighs, double chins, knock-knees, droopy buttocks & you name it! But she is FOREVER complimenting me & I do the same to her... suddenly, it dawned on me.... IT'S TRUE! - WE REALLY ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITICS!!! -

So from now on, I am seriously going to try to love my body even if it doesn't look like it did 20 years ago, and even if it is aging UNgracefully, and even if it doesn't react the way I want it to... after all, it's the only one I've got! - and after wearing a 2-piece swimsuit this weekend will all the chub & the cellulite & the pasty-whiteness of untanned me... you know what? I DIDN'T CARE! - I was with my BEST FRIEND, and we were having A BLAST!!!!

And... isn't THAT what life is all about?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #2  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

Great attitude!
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:38 PM   #3  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

"And... isn't THAT what life is all about?"

Yes ma'am.
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

great additude! I think all of us need to start not worring so much about all the minor things that we think "make us look bad". I always laugh at ppl when they "gasp" at my horrible scar on my wrist from a bad car accident..i've had many ppl tell me that they wouldn't be able to live with a scar like that. I tell ppl..it builds character. Its a scar to remind me daily that i'm alive and not dismembered..i could have been killed or lost my arm...but instead i have a huge scar..that's all. I do have a few minor problems...no feeling in my thumb..but otherwise i'm a live and able to do my routine job. oh yeah and btw..i wasn't driving..it wasn't my fault just a passenger LOL. But it really is just a minor thing after the bad accident i was in and luckily the doctors fixed me so i got most of my mobility back in my thumb (important thing for a veterinarian who has to do surgery). SO we all need to embrace our silly little things that we instead harp about.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #5  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
="Red"]

So here's my revelation: This weekend was the first "beach weekend" of the season for me & my best friend. We are constantly downing ourselves for gaining back the weight we've lost. We are constantly whining about wrinkles, sun spots, laugh lines, gray hairs, saggy boobs, chubby thighs, double chins, knock-knees, droopy buttocks & you name it! But she is FOREVER complimenting me & I do the same to her... suddenly, it dawned on me.... IT'S TRUE! - WE REALLY ARE OUR OWN WORST CRITICS!!! -

So from now on, I am seriously going to try to love my body even if it doesn't look like it did 20 years ago, and even if it is aging UNgracefully, and even if it doesn't react the way I want it to... after all, it's the only one I've got! - and after wearing a 2-piece swimsuit this weekend will all the chub & the cellulite & the pasty-whiteness of untanned me... you know what? I DIDN'T CARE! - I was with my BEST FRIEND, and we were having A BLAST!!!!

And... isn't THAT what life is all about?
Do you mind me asking how old you are cos your picture looks fabulous and it's less than 2 years old.
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut View Post
Do you mind me asking how old you are cos your picture looks fabulous and it's less than 2 years old.
I'll be 44 in August. That pic was taken just a couple weeks after my 42nd b'day. Everytime I look at it, I realize that "138 pounds" is really a good weight for me! - and it keeps me motivated!
Old 03-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I am loving your revelation. Simply lovin' it. Good for you. By the way, we're the same age. I'll be 44 in November. After what I've done to my body it will NEVER, EVER look like it did when I was 19 and 130 something pounds. Oh well. But I'll tell you this much, it's already looking a heck of a lot better then it did back in September 06', and you know what, this 43 year old formerly morbidly obese person is pleased as punch with it. Flaws and all. Your revelation made me just stop and think about it.

Anyway, I could see where your avatar would be good motivation for you. You look amazing. Heck, it's good motivation for me as well. Glad that you enjoyed yourself with your best bud, cause that IS what it's all about. Thanks for sharing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Boy, if you could bottle and sell that positive attitude... It's so true - we need to treat OURSELVES with as much kindness and love as we treat our most cherished friends and family members.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:00 PM   #9  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie Canuck View Post
Boy, if you could bottle and sell that positive attitude... It's so true - we need to treat OURSELVES with as much kindness and love as we treat our most cherished friends and family members.

yeah! - why is it that we treat ourselves with such disregard & disrespect? Are we not as important as those we love? Are we not as worthy? Are we not as special? I say it's time we definitely treat ourselves with the kindness & love we give our family & friends! After all.... we deserve it!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:09 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 205.5/158.50/132

Height: 5'7"

Beach GREAT ATTITUDE! I love my bestest friends too! We all went to a dinner/party last weekend and when I relaxed it was so much fun not caring what others thought. I'm 43 too and I am getting more comfortable with my body. Not enough to stop dieting tho! haha! But it should feel good all the way down. If you haven't done these things you should
Get a pedicure
Drive around in a convertable
Buy a cute Spring top and wear it during the week for no special occasion.
Wear Makeup!

I'll think of more later. p.s. you look fantastic in the motivational picture. i have one too...I should post mine. Mine is 6 years old tho (how long it's been since I was at goal....and goal is 132. I'm 187.75

Tina
onmyown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I am thrilled for your revelation!!!

My friends, the body grows old. We cannot base our opinion of our worth on what our bodies look like, because that will change. Things happen. Why set ourselves up to be continually dissatisfied when we could appreciate how wonderful it is just to be alive.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/241/170

Height: 5'6

Thanks for posting that Beach. I am brand new to this site and I just happenend to click on this thread.(as I was sitting here thinking negative thoughts) You really put a new spin on things for me. I REALLY appreciate that.
I also was thinking how much and far my goal is.....and then I saw Rockinrobin and was totally impressed. Wow!!! Thanks for being here at the right time!!
Karen68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

That IS a good motivational tool. A good idea so I added a pic to my signature of me about 3 1/2 years ago at my goal weight. I had to work to maintain that weight, which wasn't even that thin but I was happy, but I managed to do it for years. I basically did exactly what I'm doing now to lose, except I got to eat in larger quantities when I was maintaining. I would zig zag calories by a difference of 800 calories (usually eat a lot for a few days and then eat way less to get things under control for the next few days). I'd work out around 3 times per week as well. That seemed to be key to maintaining weight.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:10 PM   #14  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
I am thrilled for your revelation!!!

My friends, the body grows old. We cannot base our opinion of our worth on what our bodies look like, because that will change. Things happen. Why set ourselves up to be continually dissatisfied when we could appreciate how wonderful it is just to be alive.

Jay
THAT, Jay, is one of the TRUEST things I've ever read. Thanks for adding your thoughts!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #15  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen68 View Post
Thanks for posting that Beach. I am brand new to this site and I just happenend to click on this thread.(as I was sitting here thinking negative thoughts) You really put a new spin on things for me. I REALLY appreciate that.
I also was thinking how much and far my goal is.....and then I saw Rockinrobin and was totally impressed. Wow!!! Thanks for being here at the right time!!
Welcome karen68! - it's GREAT to have you on board! And YES! - Rockinrobin IS very impressive, isn't she?!?!?!? To be "5 foot nuthin" .... she sure is "somethin"!!!!

Stick around Karen! - we are all about support here & if you're struggling as the rest of us, then sooner or later you'll support & be supported.

Gosh, I sure am feelin' the love!!!!