Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 PM   #1  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default I don't get it...

Ok here's the deal... I have been eating OP all week and I've gone to the gym 3 days and done at least 30 min of cardio and swam laps every time. I got on the scale this am and I have gained 1.5 lbs since Monday! I am measuring my portions so I know I'm not over doing it there. I have switched from soda (all day) to water all day and one cup of herbal tea in the evening. TOM was done a week ago so it's not that. So what's the deal here? I feel so discouraged right now. I mean I have a very painful foot condition and a bad knee and I am working out despite the pain. I am doing so well with the eating plan. What do I have to do here to lose weight? I am at a new high weight (don't pay attention to my tracker I haven't changed it in a while). My clothes don't fit, my body aches, my self esteem is gone and now I've gained! ARRRRGGG!!! Please does anyone have any insight here? I need help!
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:56 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Did you just start the exercise? Beginning a new fitness regime can make you retain water weight.

I'd give it two weeks before panicking - then I'd re-evaluate the food plan. What plan are you following? A little more detail on your plan might help us to give more advice..
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Breathe....it is one week, less if you mean "since monday"

1. It takes time. Some bodies take a while to get started. I personally tend to settle at certain weights and its like being stuck on a ledge with a slight ridge all around it, takes a little more oomph to get off the ledge, and then things start moving. Do not panic in 4 days. Do not panic for 2 weeks (and even then dont PANIC, but then it might be time to reevaluate)

2. You went to the gym 3 days. From the sounds of if this might be a new or resumed behavior? When you workout more than your body is used to it retains water. Water is the stuff that the body uses to build and repair muscles and flush away toxins from the muscles.

3. Many people have weight fluctuations during the week that can not be explained. Me personally, regardless of what I eat or do always weigh more on Monday than I do on Saturday. Always. No. Matter. What. I am sure there is SOMETHING causing it but I cant figure out what, I always blamed my big sunday workout but even when I changed my schedule it stayed. But it is water and it goes away.

3. Sometimes the body gets confused and just holds on to extra water because it isnt sure WHAT you are doing and waits to see if you really really mean it before it gives up the water it would need to re-pack away that fat that you burned. (I am sure there is a more scientific explanation than that)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with Mandalinn and ennay. Sometimes the body doesn't wanna let go right away. Give it another week or so. And by all means share your plan with us, we can help you tweak it a bit if need be. Don't despair and don't give up, we're here to help you and get you through this.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #5  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Three suggestions:

Give it time.

Give it time.

Give it time.

I know that' probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's the truth. You've only just begun! - Your body has to get used to moving, used to different eating patterns, etc. Once you've stuck with it for a month, it then becomes "HABIT"... which is a beautiful word when we're talking eating healthy or exercise! THEN you should be seeing changes, and you'll be all smiles & we'll be all smiles for you!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 PM   #6  
Dream Big

S/C/G: 233.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I eat 1400-1600 calories a day. Whole grains, regular oatmeal not instant, brown rice, fruits, veggies, bread or pasta only 1ce a week at 1/2 of a serving, lean proteins (chicken, tuna, soy protein etc). I eat plain yogurt, drink skim milk.... Basically I'm counting calories and fat but I have also changed where my calories are coming from. Instead of fried foods and junkfoods it's healthy meals and snacks spaced 2 1/2 to 3 hours apart with no food after 6 pm.
timmyshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:18 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Isn't it wonderful to have so many folks with experience who can make suggestions?

Here are a couple--see what you think.

1. I was told at my gym that five days' exercising a week was necessary to support weight loss--no less than four days. I hear you about the foot and knee--maybe try a stationary bicycle so you don't have weight on them. The swimming is good, but see if you can get into a deep-water aerobics class.

2. 1400 to 1600 calories may be too many for your metabolism. Often overweight people burn less than average in the course of 24 hours. I had to adjust my FitDay program so that I am completely sedentary, and then I add any exercise I do. I have to stay between 1200 and 1300 calories to lose over a pound a week (around 1.2 lbs) while burning just under 1900 calories a day (baseline plus exercise).

You may be different--these are just some thing to consider.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #8  

I'm not sure I buy the idea that your first three workouts each week don't count without a fourth (or first four without a fifth?).

One more opinion-- Give it time.

Your eating sounds good. Have you checked your serving sizes?
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

MariaMaria--it's not that the three workouts "don't count." It's the amount your metabolism is being raised on average.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #10  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Good Afternoon;
Criminy! It seems as though I'm always on this website. People are going to start to think I don't actually do any work.

Anyways I just wanted to respond to Ennay's suggestions and ideas.
Thank You!!
These are things I just never thought of - (i.e. water retention)
Although I'd like to register a complaint with my body, in that it should maybe quit being confused and holding on to all that water. And fat for that matter.
I love learning about all this stuff.

Thx,
Tam
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote