Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 PM   #16  
Heather

S/C/G: 203/180/130

Height: 5'3"

Dear Starburst,
I'm am so sorry about you losing your mother. You have my complete sympathy...

Your move to job corps will be a great thing for you. Not only will it give you the opportunity to get away from your troubles, and the people surrounding your troubles, but it is also an awesome opportunity to make a good life for yourself for your future. You have made a positive step in bettering yourself.

As for your weight, it's as simple as this. Make better food choices. Take what you know, and alter it until it becomes a healthier choice. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies. Try to avoid fatty meats or fried foods. No junk food. No sugary sodas. Water or iced tea would be better. Allow yourself a treat every few days or so, but not every single day. If you don't deprive yourself completely, it will be easier to stick to your healthier eating plan.

But most of all, find happiness whereever you are. Once you feel better about yourself, you will begin to care more about your health and well being. And when that happens, you will find it easier to stay on track and commit to this. And remember, we are always here to help you through the rough spots. Take time to talk with us sometimes, and let us know how you are progressing.

Good Luck,
Heather
cajungal328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:01 AM   #17  

Funniegrrl (I didn't see your real name.), your way of living is pretty much what I'm going to do. I know the last time I tried to diet, I just ate smaller portions, but pretty much whatever I wanted and lost weight ..I just wasn't happy with myself and I'd make up excuses and quit. This time I want to eat much smaller portions, only one portion, and make healthier choices, instead of going for everything that I know.

I also don't think I can be bothered with counting calories. I applaud everyone on here that does, but knowing me, if I forget one day of doing it, or anything to that affect, I'll more than likely want to forget it all together and get very discouraged.

I know about how much I weigh right now, and I don't plan on weighing myself for some time. That doesn't mean I'm going to go light on any other part of this ...I just need to feel like I've made some progress before I can actually look.

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

Heather, Thank you for your sympathy, sometimes I really need that, even though I'd never ask for it.

I think Job Corp will help me with a lot of things in my life, and I think I just really need to get away and be able to do it. It just really seems like a really great opportunity and I don't plan to waste it.

I absolutely love fruits, and me being a picky eater, there's actually tons of fruit that I enjoy. So, that's the upside to this. The one thing I have trouble with is veggies. As I've mentioned a ton before I'm very picky, and there's not so many veggies that I like. I like carrots but only raw. I like broccoli raw, and cooked. I like corn ..but that's as far as my love for vegetables will take me. Although I may never be bold to eat another pea in my life, I'm hoping to expand my horizons and try other veggies that I say I don't like, but have never tried.

Thank you for the advice. I completely agree with it. I think that no junk food is a good rule, but allowing for a treat every couple days, would work for me. It's not canceling it out all together, but it is disciplining me in it. I love it, and will try it!

I really want to be happy. And I need this boost in both aspects of my life. Losing my mom ...really spiraled me into a life of depression. She always wanted the best for me, and to be happy, and I want to be that for myself and for her. She was the best mother I could ever have, and she did everything she possibly could for me, I know she wants better for me than I'm doing.

I will check in frequently to let everyone know how I'm doing ...I will definitely tell you how my progress is going, you will be hearing from me. No matter what.
Starburst1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst1987 View Post
I will check in frequently to let everyone know how I'm doing ...I will definitely tell you how my progress is going, you will be hearing from me. No matter what.
Be sure to check in with us even if you end up going completely off plan. We wont hold it against you and maybe we can offer some help if things dont work out as easily as you envision. We get lots of people on 3FC who come on here all gung ho and then after a week you never hear from them again. Presumedly they've gone back to their old fattening eating habits and dont want to show up around here and have to deal with it. But that's actually the best time to come around as we've all been there!

The very best of luck to you dear. Sounds like you're on the right track and your mother would be very proud.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:13 AM   #19  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Wow Starburst! - you're really diving head-first into life! I think that's WONDERFUL! Good luck with the Job Corps! - My best friend's son did that (twice, 2 different fields!) and he really enjoyed it.

As for the weight loss thing - I think it's good to have the long-term goal, but breaking it up into several short-term goals has been easier for me. Of course, the more weight you have to lose, the quicker it will come off (I wonder why that is? hmmmm.....) And I didn't see where you indicated exactly how much you weigh & your height & all that good stuff, but I'd say 1.5 - 2.5 pounds per week should be doable (just based on what you've said thus far.) Generally, any weight loss per week is celebrated here!

What, exactly is your plan to lose the weight? Do you have a particular diet you want to try? A specific exercise program? In my experience, you need a plan, because it's hard to stick to anything when it's all willy-nilly & nothing to gauge yourself by.

At any rate - welcome to 3FC! - we're all here to help.... come & post whenever you can! And good luck in your "New Life Adventure"! I think your mother would be very proud!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #20  

Beach Patrol, I'm really excited for Job Corp, and I think I'll like it! I'm just sitting here waiting patiently for them to tell me when I'm leaving.

I want to cut out junk food. It hasn't been very good to me weight wise, but I do have a sweet tooth, so I want to allow myself a treat every so often. I'm lowering my portions to a half a cup/a whole cup of whatever I'm eating. Healthier portions, which WILL be a challenge for me, but I'm ready for it. I want to eat healthier and cut down my soda intake. I drink way too much soda, I'm going to go back to drinking diet soda, but have it every other day.

They only serve three meals a day at Job Corp, so that's what I'll be used to, but I'm still going to incorporate what I've said into that.

I actually ate way less yesterday than I have in awhile, and I'm proud of myself. I'm going to excersize, and I've already started walking, so hopefully things continue to look up for me.

Oh, and I weigh 318, and I want to lose 160-180 lbs. I hate saying my weight out loud or telling it to other people.
Starburst1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #21  
Heather

S/C/G: 203/180/130

Height: 5'3"

Starburst,
I agree, it is hard to say your weight out loud to other people sometimes. It can be embarassing, I know. I used to think the same way. But to me, acknoledgeing your weight is a positive step towards improving it. I say this becuase, IMO, denying your weight is the same as hiding from it or being ashamed of it. Sticking your head in the sand gets you nowhere. Time to own up to it and conquer it. Does that make sense? Remember, no matter how heavy you are, and you are beautiful, inside and out. Don't be ashamed of who you are. Don't ever forget that...

Another thing, I am glad that you trusted us enough to tell us, even though I know you didn't want to, becuase there is not a person here who would judge you for it. Also, we could offer you better advice to you if we know your situation. We all have the same problem here, no matter how much each individual has to lose(20, 50, 100, 200 lbs... whatever), we all have excess weight that makes us feel uncomfortable and embarassed, and we are all fighting the same fight... together.

And also, I agree with breaking down your ultimate goal into smaller mini goals. It's much less frustrating this way, especially for impatient people like me. Every time you meet a mini-goal, it boosts your self esteem so much, and keeps you on the right track.... But, I do think you should try to count the calories on fitday or whatever program you choose. The reason I say this is becuase, not only does it help you know your limits on your food / calorie intake, but it also educates you in what foods are healthy to eat, and which are not. It helps you know the difference. You would be surprised how many food we "think" are healthy, are really not healthy at all... I have learned alot in these 6 1/2 weeks since I started...

Good Luck, Honey,
Heather
cajungal328 is offline   Reply With Quote