Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2007, 04:48 AM   #16  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I can understand that we shouldn't MAKE our partners eat what we eat, but on the other hand, if *I* do the shopping and *I* do the cooking, unless DF absolutely hates something, he's going to eat what I eat. As for the kids - they eat what we eat, except breakfast (we usually all fend for ourselves) and what we eat is healthy and good for them too. That doesn't mean they are not allowed "treats" but then DF is the one who buys any junk that ends up in our house. Luckily I don't really like kids' chips/crispies so I don't eat them

We have a rule in our house, you can not say you don't like something if you've never tried it. Only once you've tried and you really hate it will I make exceptions to what we eat. I live with a bunch of foodies so it's usually not the case
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #17  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm glad this thread is here. I've posted several times about my frustration. My DH has chips and stuff in the cabinet. It doesn't bother me. If I want a chip, I'll have one. I seldom want one. We have some lovely Belgian chocolates. About once a week, we'll each pick out one. He cuts them in half and we share.

He's an evening eater. He'll pull out the bag of chips and munch on them. At first he thought it was going to bother me. I looked at him and asked why he thought that considering he's been doing it for over 20 years and I haven't said anything.

My problem is with his cooking. He just can't wrap his head around the fact that butter and heavy sauces ARE NOT on my plan. I count calories and he's getting tired of me taking all his ingredients and entering them on Fit Watch to get the calorie count. We menu plan for the week and have 1 night of "open fire". We each fix our own meal. I had shrimp louie and a shrimp cocktail on my night last week. He had lamb chops and potatoes. He's getting used to the idea. Wait till we start planning next week. I want 2 open fire nights.

I really like some of the ideas about keeping the food separate.

Good luck. You can do it.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #18  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default & Another thing!

I was watching Dr. Rozin (YOU On A Diet) on PBS the other day. boobalah kept talking over him and calling a lot of what he was saying "hogwash" and a few other choice words.

I'd had it with 15 interruptions in less than 10 minutes. I exploded! I told him that he didn't have to listen. I recorded it on the DVR in the back room and I was watching it there. He could go to another part of the house. I told him that in case he hasn't noticed, I'm serious and his bellyaching is getting me really po'd. He wasn't particularly thrilled when I told him he could reside elsewhere if he so desired.

At least he has stopped giving me grief over the fact that I've given up eating anything that moves on 4 legs for Lent.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #19  

Default BTDT!!! *m

I have SO been where you are and I have taken to calling my DH "The Pusher". When I started out in October 2004, my DH refused to give up all the horrid food that was keeping me fat. He was able to eat it without any problems but I was going up and up.

One day I woke up and realized that if I could learn to deal with and overcome his negativity then I would be successful in my quest to lose weight and stay at my goal weight. It occured to me that he was happy with me where I was weight-wise and didn't want me to change (due to his own insecurities) so I had to figure out how to deal with all of that. BUT I did not let that dissuade me from going forward. Yes, I cooked two meals a night and yes, I bought two different types of bread and cold cuts and bought 100-calorie snacks. I put myself in his place and thought about how I would feel if suddenly he decided to change my diet and realized that it wasn't fair to him. If he chose it for himself then that would be one thing but I couldn't change it for him.

I also put it in perspective and said if I can fight the temptations in my own home then the outside temptations would be nothing and I was right. You have to stay focused on your goal and realize that all those old habits are responsible for the current you so in order to be the new you, you have to change all those habits.

Good luck. You can do this. I lost 75 pounds by realizing that none of that food was worth ruining what I was working so hard for and really haven't missed it.

Mellissa
lisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote