Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default Strange Bad Eating Pattern

OK. I have been doing just fine with my SouthBeach diet & my slow but progressing exercise program. Lost 13 pounds total thus far.

But Monday, I had a bad turn with my 'pinched nerve' in the back of my neck. I saw the doc on Tuesday & she suspects a bulging disc (oh that's joyus!) and I've been out of work all week & on steroids, muscle relaxers & pain meds. I'm just now getting to the point that I can sit upright at the computer for a few minutes! E-gads...

But here's the STRANGE part. I've been eating REALLY BAD since the pain hit me. Instead of the yummy SouthBeach diet dinners & the many pieces of lucious fruit in the kitchen & so forth, I've been eating Quizno's toasted Chicken Carbanara subs & chocolate covered cherries. Still having a good brekkie, tho, like Kashi Go Lean Cereal with skim milk.... well, except yesterday... when I had.... POPCORN... I mean for crying out loud! What is it that makes a person go completely off their diet/eating plan when they're sick/in pain??? I feel like an idiot! Duh.

I am having an MRI on Tuesday & see the doc again on Wednesday, & start Physcial Therapy on Wednesday. Doc says if the phys.therapy doesn't work, we may have to send me to a surgeon...

I just want to feel good enough to exercise & try to lose at least another 20 pounds before end of summer!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Gosh, Beach Patrol, I'm so sorry about your neck! (That hug is not around your neck.)

I just have some speculation...

1. You may unconsciously associate "being sick" with getting to eat anything you want. Might be a pattern from childhood that you're just not consciously aware of. You may feel you "deserve" treats.

2. Taking pain pills, like drinking alcohol, can lower inhibitions so that you are more likely to be unable to fight those desires.

3. Steroids are notorious for increasing weight. Very complex stuff goes on with steroids, but if your scale goes up, that might be why also.

Here is something that is just my opinion. I'm not a doctor or a health professional. Don't listen to the doctor when he says words like "surgery" right off the bat like that. I have never personally known anyone who was better off after back/neck surgery than before, except for a short period of time. And once the surgery is done, there is no undoing it.

Have you considered, or are you using, chiropractic care? Some MD's pitch a fit if you even say the words, but I have always had good results from chiropractic care, including after injuries like whiplash. Just something to consider. You do not usually need a doctor's referral to see a chiropractor, and most insurance covers some visits (but check with your insurance first about both of those).

Are you using ice packs on your neck? I assume so. Ice is a real friend for pinched nerve problems.

I hope you feel better soon and don't go hog wild with the food! Stay away from places like Quiznos. I mean, you had to get there somehow, right?

Don't even think about exercise until this problem is resolved. Physical therapy exercises will be quite enough for you. It would be a mistake to try to exercise with a pinched nerve.

Just my opinion...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If it is a bulging disc, I would not reccommend a chiropractor. I herniated a disc about ten years ago. I had a doctor that was very supportive of chiropractic care (when it addressed the spine, but not things like allergies), and had even referred my mother to a chiropractor. However, he advised me not to see a chiropractor for the herniated disc, because the spinal manipulations can worsen bulging and herniated discs.

I always do a lot of research when I have an illness or injury, and in my readings I read the same recommendations. If it does turn out to be an impinged nerve NOT caused by spinal fluid pressure, then chiropracty could help, but if it is a damaged disc, it could do more harm than good.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Good point, kaplods.

Most chiropractors know better than to treat dangerous conditions.

Also, although MD's do have opinions worth considering, I myself would see what a chiropractor says about it. Most good chiropractors would want to see the X-rays, MRI results, and so forth before even considering doing an adjustment. If one didn't, I wouldn't let them touch me, and I'd find a different chiro.

MD's often don't know much about chiropractic, acupuncture, or other alternative health care methods, except the "party line" from med school. That doesn't stop them from having opinions, though! Your doctor sounds like an exception, kaplods. I'd keep that one.

Jay
Old 03-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Beach Patrol~so sorry to hear about your neck!

I agree with what JayEll said about subconsciously thinking you deserve it. Hopefully your problem will clear up and your diet will follow. You can do it!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

Humph. Maybe I DO have a "subconscious" thing about eating treats when I'm sick/in pain. Makes sense!

As for the chiropractor - I've seen one on/off since 2003. He's the one who discovered my pinched nerve & has treated me during flare ups for years now. He's a very good doctor. When I called him about my pain last Monday, he's the one who suggested I see my PC physician first. He said it sounded like a "bulging disc" from what I described. My doctor agreed with that diagnosis. My chiro said I shouldn't have chiro-care until the pain & swelling has diminished.

For now, I am taking my steroids & pain killers & muscle relaxers as prescribed, and I am NOT trying to do ANY exercising. I am using ice packs for the swelling, but that does nothing for the pain. Heat makes the pain feel better, but does nothing for the swelling. So it's ice....heat....ice....heat.... boring, Ha!

I had a good healthy brekkie this morning (Kashi w/skim milk) & a cup of popcorn as a mid-morning snack (should have had a banana, but they are looking a bit too "ripe" for me... I like a good FIRM nanner!) - anyway, for lunch I plan to have a SouthBeach lunch & having fish & steamed veggies for dinner.

Hopefully I'll get thru this phase without doing too much damage to my diet. BTW, my husband was the SWEETHEART that brought my Quizno's subs and all that chocolate to me.... he's good to me! - but that comes under the category of BAD. I'll have to put him in charge of my cravings, I guess!

I'll be sure to let you all know how things progress as they..... progress.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #7  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Beach Patrol, Sorry to hear of the pain you've been going through. I don't know why, but when we're not feeling good it is harder to stay on plan. I hope today is better for you all around. Yeah, my DH does that too. They just want us to feel better, and we might, temporarily.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Beach, sounds like you're doing all the right things! The ice-heat routine is good. One Quiznos doesn't ruin a program, so I hope you enjoyed it and that you feel better soon!

Jay
Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Jay, I wish I could have kept that doctor but he retired about five years ago at the age of 78. He always kept up on the newest treatments and medications, and was just the sweetest man. When I was 25, I was in a car accident, and although I wasn't hurt, no one was at home (I was living with my parents) to come get me from the emergecy room. Dr. Sellett drove me home (I was in such a daze from it all, I didn't even think to remind him where we lived, but he remembered from the two home visits he'd made in the five years prior).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

What a great doctor! We need more like him.

Jay
Old 03-04-2007, 12:46 PM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

UPDATE:

I am doing a bit better. I am trying to NOT lay down today, & I plan to try to go back to work tomorrow. I'm eating better (except for the chocolate covered cherries... ahhhhh, the most delightful sin!) - I had two eggs for brekkie & two slices whole grain toast with a small glass of skim milk. It's almost lunch time - well, really, past lunch time - and I'm not hungry yet. But I will eat SOMETHING by 2:00, & I'll make it healthy (right now I'm thinking salad....)

I look forward to the MRI on Tuesday so we can see exactly what the problem is. In the meantime, I won't try to exercise & I will try to sit up, stand & walk as much as possible, because laying down is JUST TOO EASY!

I sure am glad I have you guys to rant to when the ranting comes along! This really is a wonderful place for support.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Good for you, Beach Patrol! Take it easy--my experience with back and neck things is that they take only a second to go bad, but days and days to get better. Can't rush it.

You're doing great! Good luck with the MRI--I hope it shows nothing out of normal.

Jay
Old 03-04-2007, 05:41 PM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Good for you, Beach Patrol! Take it easy--my experience with back and neck things is that they take only a second to go bad, but days and days to get better. Can't rush it.

You're doing great! Good luck with the MRI--I hope it shows nothing out of normal.

Jay
Well....as long as they don't get too close to me-head, I reckon I'll be alright
Old 03-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Beach Patrol,

Jay