Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default What kind of diet?

I was just wondering what kind of diet most of you are using. I am cutting things out, eating smaller portions and I started drinking water again and I lost 6 pounds that first week. Now I am about the same. Some days I'm 2 pounds less somedays I'm the same. I did measure this morning and the huge part of my belly is an inch down though!

But, I need to see the scale move!

I know not every diet works great for everyone but I need some suggestions. So, what kind of diet are you on? What helped you lose the weight in the beginning and then once you plateued (sp?)?

I KNOW I can eat better at night. I eat about 400 calories from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm and then eat about 500-800 for just one meal at night. I don't think it's enough...but I feel full. Is my body using reserves and causing me to stay the same? I really need to get my food typed in at fitday but the only extra time I have in the day I come on here. (Like an hour at night if that!) Maybe I'll keep a journal with me at all times with what I eat and how many calories it is so I don't have to figure it out online. Anyone do that? Does it help?

Sorry for all the questions. (I was asked to keep all my questions in one post one day so I thought I better get it all out. LOL!)
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #2  

Does anyone count fat grams instead of calories? Is it easier or harder? Thanks!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/255/200 for now

Height: 5'3"

I have done both in the past calorie counting and fat gram counting. I found that if i kept my calorie intake between 1800-2000 a day and fat grams at about 30-36 i lost weight. I do know that if you do not take in enough your body will think you are starving and store everything.
My advice to you don't cut out to much to quickly one step at a time.

Good Luck if I hear anything else that might help you will let you know.
Tammy

Water is a good thing too!!
WamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:35 PM   #4  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi!

I have created my own plan based on things that I have read and trial and error with how those things work with my body. I eat 1500-1600 calories a day with three meals and two or three snacks. I try to eat something every three hours to keep my metabolism going. I exercise for an hour to an hour and a half a day, EVERY DAY, and drink lots of water. I try to eat as nutritious a diet of foods that I can with fresh vegetables and fruits as well as whole grains as the basis of my diet. I used to eat a lot of meat. Now I limit red meat and eat more fish, chicken, and turkey as well as create more vegetarian meals. Fat is something I have to be very aware of because I tend to love the foods that contain it! I also watch sodium. I love bread, so I must also watch that I don't overdo it on carbs. That's about it!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 PM   #5  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

You have to do something you can live with, even if it means it takes longer for the scale to move. Six pounds is awesome and a lot of weight.

I think it's just a lot of trial and error.

I eat a lot of veggies and fruit. If i want a snack between meals it's veggies and or fruit during the day and if I get hungry after dinner I eat non fat plain yogurt with frozen fruit and all bran buds. My meals are veggies, lean meat and maybe some brown rice, barilla pasta plus, or a baked potato. I keep it very simple. I count calories. I put them on fit day or write it down in a notebook. I stay between 1200-1600. I'm not really strict but I don't really go over 1600.

You just have to do what works for you.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm doing my own thing. I concentrate on eating whole foods, watching my portions, cutting out sugar, cutting out processed foods, eating fruits, veggies, complex carbs and lean proteins.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #7  

I don't think I'm getting ENOUGH calories then. My problem isn't what I'm I'm eating after all. Weird!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #8  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
I eat about 400 calories from 5:30 am to 5:30 pm and then eat about 500-800 for just one meal at night.
This might be a big part of your problem. Your body does need fuel all day long to keep going...and going on low calories all day then splurging at night can be murder on the metabolism. If I could make one recommendation to you, it would be to eat consistent amounts throughout the day...make your lunch and dinner balanced, throw in some snacks...yes, you won't get as much at night, but you've got some room to play (at your weight, you will probably be able to lose at 1400-1600 calories with a moderate bit of exercise), so you should still be able to find satisfying meals with a bit of trial and error.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #9  

I was just reading in a magazine that your body needs a minimum of 250 calories for BREAKFAST in order to get your metabolism up. Guess I wasn't doing myself a favor eating less calories in the day. Ooops! See, I needed this place and everyone's help or things I thought I was doing right would slow me the whole time!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I agree with Mandalinn, you should probably be eating the bulk of your calories during the day.

I am also on my own plan. I eat tons of veggies and low fat proteins. I eat every 2 -3 hours, to keep me energized, never hungry and my metabolisim moving.

Here's a rough breakdown of how my calorie look throughout the day

Breakfast - about 200 calories
Snack - under 100
Lunch - about 300
Snack - under 100
Dinner - under 500
Snack - under 100

Sometimes I switch up my dinner and lunch, eating the bigger meal at lunch time. This really works well for me. It does keep me more satisfied. I really have to work on doing that more often.

Play around with things till you find something that you can live with forever. You'll figure it out eventually. It does take some time getting used to and til you get things down pat. You seem to be a good path already.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote