Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #16  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I dilute the soda with club soda as well, I agree...if you dont have a diet soda habit, dont start one. Better off switching to plain. Another thing I love is ~10 oz club soda, 2 oz cranberry juice (not cocktail) and a squeeze of lime.

For the fitday thing...in your profile make sure you only enter your username, not the whole public link. 3FC automatically adds the rest of the string so just JessicaBT should be in that box.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #17  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I use Mazola Pure cooking spray. I forgot pam comes in flavors, I may need to try that one day.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:37 PM   #18  
Heather

S/C/G: 203/180/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angihas2 View Post
Wal-Mart is notorius for marking the family packages 20 cents off per pound, but as I reconfirmed again yesterday, the family package of chicken legs was 2.67 per pound, - 20 cents, the smaller packs were 2.24 per pound, clearly more than a 20 cent saving per poud.

Good God! Your chickens must be made of gold!!! I live in South Louisiana, and I just bought leg quarters at $.45 lb., and bone in chicken thighs for $.99 lb. just last night at our Wal-Mart... If chicken legs were $2.69 lb here, Wal-Mart would definately be keeping their chicken... even boneless skinless chicken breasts are under $2 lb. here...

Why is your chicken so expensive?
cajungal328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #19  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungal328 View Post
Good God! Your chickens must be made of gold!!! I live in South Louisiana, and I just bought leg quarters at $.45 lb., and bone in chicken thighs for $.99 lb. just last night at our Wal-Mart... If chicken legs were $2.69 lb here, Wal-Mart would definately be keeping their chicken... even boneless skinless chicken breasts are under $2 lb. here...

Now, that I don't know? It's slightly lower than the price I paid for chicken in Los Angeles, where I expect prices to be high. I paid about what you pay now when I lived in Alabama and Arkansas, but here, it can be pretty high. I used to get the entire fryer chicken, uncut for less than 2 bucks, here, they're usually 4 or more. The leg quarters are cheaper, but noone in my house, besides me will eat them, even the kids think they taste funny, why, I don't know, but they do. And noone here likes thighs. I like breasts, kids and Matt like legs, so I buy the packages of those.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:45 PM   #20  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

My chicken drumsticks are 99 cents to 1.29 per pound for the store brand. I think the most I've paid for brand name pack is 1.79/pound or so. I skin them myself at home.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #21  
Heather

I love chicken. I was raised in a not so rich family, and we were raised on alot of chicken, chicken gumbo, chicken and rice, baked chicken, fried chicken, chicken spaghetti, cheesy chicken, etc... We ate that alot becuase it was cheap and went far. Today, I could live on chicken. I could eat chicken every day, there are so many ways to prepare it, I could never get bored. But if I had to pay an arm and 2 legs for chicken, I would be one miserable person...

Remind me never to leave Louisiana.....
Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #22  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungal328 View Post

OMG that is the cheapest chicken I have ever heard of.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #23  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Here's why your link in your profile might not be working -

To share a link to your FitDay journal, enter your FitDay username below. Hint: Do not copy and paste the whole link to your fitday account here, only enter the USERNAME portion from the link.

Oh and welcome!

I just saw ennay's post.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:52 PM   #24  
Heather

Thats what I am saying.... I couldn't imagine paying over $2 lb for leg quarters... Here they are like .50 lb, normally, and sometimes they go on sale... I have seen myself go to Piggly Wiggly or Super 1 and pay like .29 lb - .39 lb., during a good sale. That's when we buy alot and stock the freezer, or have a big bar-b-que, when chicken is dirt cheap... Now you see why we cajuns eat alot of chicken....

Now, beef is another story, usually $2-$3 lb., depending on the cut.... pork usually $1 -$2 lb. depending on the cut...

But, our minimum wage is still $5.65 hr.... maybe that's why food is cheaper here, just like gasoline is like a little over $2 a gallon...

I'm glad I wait tables. I am able to make like $10 -$15 hr. on weekdays, $18 - $20 hr. on weekends.... I make decent money... not a great living, but it beats $5.65 hr.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:54 PM   #25  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

haha, you'd have a heart attack if I told you how much I pay for my boneless skinless chicken breasts here if you're paying less than $2/lb (and I do buy the store brand)

I can't comment on beef or pork prices since I don't buy either--I eat only chicken or ground turkey, not just because I'm trying to be healthy or snobby, but because I just don't really like beef or pork at all (aside from bacon--I don't like turkey bacon).

The minimum wage in the state of VA is probably pretty low, but Northen VA is very different from most of the state in that the cost of living here is insanely expensive (I'm about 15 minutes outside of DC). I make roughly almost $30/hour at my full-time job (I'm slaried, so that's an estimate), but I'm still keeping my eyes open for a flexible part-time job to have on the side. We're looking for a townhouse (not even a real stand-alone house...an attached townhouse) to move into next fall, and even though the market has come down a bit in recent months, we can't find much for less than $300k, so I guess the price of chicken is about equal to the price of everything else

Last edited by jillybean720; 02-24-2007 at 10:01 PM.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #26  
Claiming my perfect life.

S/C/G: 235/229/125

Height: 5'5

Lightbulb

Thanks! My Fitday link is now working. If you all weren't telling me how to work all of this stuff, I'd be totally lost. (No computer skills.) Thanks, thanks, thanks.
I walked my dog today, and went to the park and climbed through the kids castle thing for a while, and did a lot of shoveling to plant daffodills. It makes me want to go out and burn calories when I can see the graphs and it's all laid out for me and obvious. This online dieting thing is brilliant. Genius, I say!
I am now officially excited.
Could someone who knows more about nutrition than I do look at what I ate today, and tell me if anything was wrong with it? I do want to do a low carb thing... and I'm not sure if my fat intake is still too high. Math was never my strong subject.
It will be so nice when I know you all better, and have people I know there for accountability.
By the way, I take a handfull of vitamins twice every day. Should this be entered somehow into the nutrition records?

Last edited by JessicaBT; 02-24-2007 at 10:28 PM.
JessicaBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #27  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaBT View Post
Thanks! My Fitday link is now working. If you all weren't telling me how to work all of this stuff, I'd be totally lost. (No computer skills.) Thanks, thanks, thanks.
I walked my dog today, and went to the park and climbed through the kids castle thing for a while, and did a lot of shoveling to plant daffodills. It makes me want to go out and burn calories when I can see the graphs and it's all laid out for me and obvious. This online dieting thing is brilliant. Genius, I say!
I am now officially excited.
Could someone who knows more about nutrition than I do look at what I ate today, and tell me if anything was wrong with it? I do want to do a low carb thing... and I'm not sure if my fat intake is still too high. Math was never my strong subject.
It will be so nice when I know you all better, and have people I know there for accountability.
By the way, I take a handfull of vitamins twice every day. Should this be entered somehow into the nutrition records?
Was that really all you ate today? WAY WAY too low in calories. You shouldnt go below 1200 and even that is low to START a diet plan on.

Too much fat, not enough fruits and veggies, too much saturated fats.

Instead of LOW CARB, try healthy carbs---whole grains in reasonable portions, fruits and veggies
Old 02-25-2007, 12:19 AM   #28  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Don't mince words, ennay

Joking aside, I agree that your calories are too low. You'll just set yourself up for some ugly bingeing or a jacked up metabolism (the technical term). Add more veggies, salads, healthy whole grains...

I do wanna say for asking questions and making a big effort! You ARE doing this the right way, you just need to give yourself time to learn your way. Please know that the advice you are given is because we care about you!!

I'm excited you are excited - that's I also say good on you going for a walk!! Exercise is key - for mood as well as physical health. Keep up the good work.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:19 AM   #29  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

I weigh a bit less than you and am taller, but I still try not to go below 1400 a day. Upper limit is 1800. I try to have 2 high days a week, and stick between 1500-1600 if I can, I don't always succeed. 1200 is the LOWEST anyone should go, unless they have a specific reason, besides weight loss. I don't know what that reason is, but I'm sure someone might. Having said that, it's not a bad place to START and you'll probably see some initial weight loss, but you'll likely stall out and get frustrated. This is where tweaking the plan to your individual needs comes in, you begin to increase calorie increments in 100-200 amounts per week, so that weight loss beings to become steady, 1-2 lbs per week. Once you find your upper and higher ranges, you've found your spot, so to speak, until you again, lose enough weight that those earlier caloric needs have become smaller, via weight loss without working out, or larger, via weight loss with increased muscle mass. Muscle burns more calories doing absolutely nothing, than fat does, running the fatman triathalon. I agree with introducing healthy carbs, I think most people need them for minor brain function. Veggies are usually considered carbs by our body, but pack a small calorie size vs the huge nutritional punch they give you. They usually help alleviate hunger, I find. As do whole grains, brown and wild rices, whole wheat pasta's, whole grain breads, oatmeal, barley etc. If you do low-carb, that's fine. People often find success with it, but even Atkins, the most carb restrictive plan I know of, allows veggies. So, please, don't skimp on those, your body needs them. I see you have 2 fruits on there, but no veggies, add them. Bagged spinach/frozen spinach is a nutritional powerhouse and has very few calories. It goes great in everything from salad, to sandwiches, omelets, soups, casseroles and stir-fries.

You'll get the hang of the techie part of fitday soon enough and be rolling along in no time!
Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 AM   #30  
Claiming my perfect life.

S/C/G: 235/229/125

Height: 5'5

Aaaaargh! Ok, thanks again. I ate three meals and a snack...
I WAS still hungry though, so after reading that, I ate another serving of Turkeyburger with cheese and stirfry. I haven't entered that yet.

The reason I'm skimping on vegetables at the moment is because I'm broke. I do have canned spinach in my cabinets though, so I added that for tomorrow. I know canned isn't the best way, but it's what I've got.
I'm just having trouble getting the calories up and the fat down at the same time. I worked on tomorrows menu for an hour, adding things and deleting things on Fitday. (I already entered my food for tomorrow.) I got it up to 1591 calories for tomorrow, but I'm afraid the fat is still high. I kept it down as low as it is by leaving butter off the bisquits and out of the spinach, which are two things I usually would have done automattically.

I found out, because I'm broke, that tuna doesn't have a lot of fat in it. My chicken for lunch was the highest fat I have on there.
I'll definitely up the veggies as soon as I can. See, we have a food budjet. We put our food money for the month in an envelope at the beginning of every month... (Dave Ramseys envelope system.) and my envelope got away from me this month, so I'm having to use some of the unhealthy things that I have in the house already until I have a new envelope.

Next time, I will probably do better with my money as well, because I'm going to have to plan everything out, in order to stay on a diet. I usually go in Wal Mart and get whatever looks easy and fast. (I'm talking about FOOD! Get yer mind out of the gutter!) The planning of the menu will probably end up saving me money.

I really appreciate all of the help, encouragement, and advice. It's occuring to me that nobody ever taught me how to eat right. And it may require a 4 year college degree to understand all of the nuances. The food pyramid thingy in my health class definitely didn't cut it.
JessicaBT is offline   Reply With Quote