Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default How often do you

weigh yourself? I have a bad habit of doing it everyday. Sometimes more than once. I think I'll start just doing it once a week. I think I'll make Thursdays my day.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I weigh myself once a week, on Sundays. Always the same - get up, pee, get naked, weigh.

In my many previous weight loss attempts, I was addicted to the scale, jumping on multiple times a day. My emotions were completely tied to the scale, it was a roller coaster. If the weight was down, I was euphoric, committed, motivated, convinced I was going to "DO IT THIS TIME." When the scale was up, I was depressed, unmotivated, convinced I would always be overweight.

There are many perfectly normal reasons for the scale to fluctuate on a daily basis and some people find it interesting - I couldn't handle it. Only weighing myself once a week allowed me to see progress and evened out the emotional ups and downs of weight loss for me.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:01 PM   #3  
Ilerjo

S/C/G: 268/191/146

I use to weigh myself everyday.If I happened to gain 1/2 pounds of water weight I could just cry.So,I took my scale to the dump and throwed it in.I didnt let it control how I was going to feel everyday.I go to curves now and they weigh you once a month.I get soooooooo excited when its time to weigh.Thats just me,everyone is different.Good Luck on what you decide.
IlerJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:35 PM   #4  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I'm an everyday weigher. First thing in the morning, after I pee, and before I get dressed. I watch it, mainly because I'm checking a pattern I've noticed. If you look at a few of my more recent posts, I've been bemoaning stalls, however, in my own journal, I'm starting to notice a pattern and am testing a theory. The only weigh in I count though, is Monday morning. I find it helps me control those weekend binges I use to do.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:19 AM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I weigh almost everyday, but I only record new lows - the rest is just water fluctuation. If I see a low weight I haven't seen before then some real weight must have come off cause there is a limit to how dehydrated I could be when I am doing all the right things.

Some weeks I'll have 4 lows in a week, sometime 8-10 days before I get a new one.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I weigh everyday except when I'm on my period.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

I also weigh everyday, but don't count it unless it's Thursday.. which is my "weigh in" day. I also don't count a lower weight until I see it more than once.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 AM   #8  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I weigh everyday but only count Saturday's.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 AM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Every morning, but also only "count" Monday's weigh in. The Monday weigh in has worked the best, because it encourages me not to splurge on the weekends. I record the daily weight in a pocket calendar, and the Monday weight on a chart.

I've been addicted to the scale in the past, especially with digital scales, because I'm always paranoid that they're not accurate (I had one that would give me any weight I wanted it to, if I got on it enough times).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:14 AM   #10  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Almost every day, since I do after my morning shower (only skip when I overslept and about late for work, haha! OR if I know I'm doing a morning workout, then I shower later in the day and usually skip the scales.)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:45 AM   #11  

Height: 5' 7''

Generally I weigh twice a day...once before bed and then first thing in the morning. It helps me keep track....e.g. I know that I weigh 2lbs heavier at night than the next morning and that the scale will shoot up when I eat salty foods. It helps keep me focused.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

I weigh every day because I view this as a reality check that I need to have each day. Hey, if the scale went down every day no one would complain or recommend weighing less often. While we should expect upward fluctuations and not get upset if/when they occur, if that "fluctuation" is not moving down after a few days or is in fact increasing, then you've just gotten a reality check. That your not doing something right and your weight is going up. Why hide from the truth by not weighing? Avoiding the scale seems to be easier to do the less we are likely to see the number when we step on it, but that is when its most important to find out.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Every morning as soon as I get up. I keep a record, too. I have a year's worth of that record now. The only days I do not weigh are when I am on vacation.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #14  
Meg

There's nothing wrong with daily weighing so long as you can keep it in perspective (like the posters above ). Studies have shown that daily weighing is associated with better long-term weight loss and maintenance. Why? A lot of us have a problem with denial but it's very hard to kid yourself about what you're doing when the evidence is in front of you every day. And it's a lot easier to deal with a little gain right away than a big gain later on.

If you're going to weigh every day, think of it as learning how your body reacts to hormones, weather, sodium, carbs, exercise etc. It never should be a measure of self-worth.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

I even weighed every day when I was pregnant. And the scale literally climbed almost every other day that I was pregnant. I would just snort and plan on losing the second I gave birth. But for some reason I still had to get on that scale LOL.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote