Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #1  

Exclamation Dress size questions

Yesterday - Saturday - was my usual measuring day.

To my horror, I hadn't lost any weight - still tipping the scales at 164 lbs. In the evening, I went to the local mall and walked into Macy's.

Saw some cute blouses on sale and foung out that I was able to squeeze into size 10/12. It's not an easy fit and it contours my body tightly, but my current size is 12/14. So what does this mean?

I'm not saying that I'm now size 10/12. I hate the way it hugs my body and shows up my figure - big tummy, big *** and enormous arms - but it's a start, isn't it? I mean, I can squeeze into it and wear it - even if VERY, VERY TIGHTLY... isn't this an improvement?

Please, ladies, what would you think? The scales still haven't changed, remember.

TIA.
dhvaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

It often happens that we change size without the scale moving. I haven't lost weight in over 3 months but have dropped a size. In my case, I credit weightlifting.

You're right to look beyond the scale for changes. The scale is only a tool, remember, and not always a good one at that!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

wyllenn is right - your body can change without the scales changing.

I went on a quest to find sweat pants a few months ago and found a cute pair and was NOT going to try them on.. as they were a size 8. But they looked bigger than that and my bf suggested I try them anyways. They fit, but I am definitely NOT a size 8 (still at 16). Basically what I found out is that sizes change from store to store, and from fabric to fabric.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #4  
ebe
noob

it is true that there is a huge variation in sizes and fabrics...I don't weigh myself actually, the last time I was weighed was in November and I weighed 165 at the doctor's and I've been working on losing some so I was basing my size on jeans that I know are sized fairly consistently...I bought some size 6's today only because they fit so well and then looked at the label and they have lycra in them.
I'm still counting it though! But in non-stretch jeans would take an 8 or 10 I think if they ran small and in stores where the sizes are ridiculously big like banana republic and j. crew I wear a 6.
ebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Of course I'm not saying that you havn't made any improvement, but, I think you should measure your weight loss in inches by the way your current clothes fit... not the way new ones fit. You know how your current clothes are supposed to fit you, so you can better gauge whether you're getting smaller or not.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote