Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #31  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
OK, I sometimes eat Cool Whip,I admit it, please don't tell the Food Police.

I, for one, am shocked! To the dungeon with you!

Heck, I tip the cans of Reddi-Whip when no one is looking and spray a big shot of it into my mouth, lol!

shhhhhh! don't tell anyone!

I agree with the others that I don't really think people (whether it be here or anywhere) are meaning to offend when they offer advice. I mean, let's face it, when we're trying to lose weight, we're going to be very defensive and take things the wrong way. I know I did. Like now if someone would say to me perhaps one slice of cake instead of two would be better, I would probably say, "Yes, you're right, what was I thinking?"

2 years ago if someone had said that to me I would have gone on the defensive and would have taken it personally - "What, are you trying to say I'm FAT???? It's only 2 slices of cake! It's not like I'm eating the entire thing!"

See the difference?

Now, I HAVE seen a couple of posters here in the past that flat out said things like, "I can't believe you guys eat that junk! Do you know how bad that is for you? I wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole, but if you want to polute your bodies, that's your business."

And that's a given. Just about anywhere you go you're going to find that. But I haven't seen it in a long time and for the most part I believe people here are wanting to help each other. It's just sometimes we have days where we take it the wrong way. I know I sure have.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Lots of great responses here. I just want to clarify that I wasn't actually talking about 3FC posters when I wrote the original post. Someone asked which forum it was happening in, and it's not...I was referring more to real life. And of course I know that people sometimes have good intentions when they offer advice, but that's not the people I'm talking about. I'm talking about the people who CLEARLY feel superior to you if they eat strictly whole foods. Surely you guys know that such people exist. I'm not talking about helpful advice givers -- I think I'm intelligent enough to know the difference.

What I love about this site is that we usually DON'T get that kind of crap here. Sure, there's the occasional "Oh, I would NEVER eat that" response on a thread, which smells a little like whole foods snobbery, but for the most part we're all really supportive of everyone's efforts. That's why so many of us are seeing success, with all our different plans, and enjoying it along the way!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:12 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 245/207/150

Height: 5'8.5"

Thumbs up

I think anyime ANYONE thinks they can tell you what to eat they are full of it. We have enough internal judging going on we do not need it from anyone else. - Eileen
Learning2LuvMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

I don't know anyone who eats just whole foods. If it weren't for the frozen entree section in the grocery store, I would have had a more difficult time cutting out the fast food. As long as I watch my sodium intake, I have the Lean Cuisines, Healthy Choice, etc. and my M.D. said they were fine.

Also, when eating just 1200 to 1500 calories a day, like I do, I have to make sure that those calories are packed with enough nutrional power to sustain me until the next time I'm hungry to eat.

For me, if I substitute an order of french fries or a bag of chips for a salad or steamed veggies, that means I don't feel as energetic or as full later as I normally would. That's why the 100 calorie snack cookies wouldn't work for me.

I do occassionally enjoy the 100 calories 94% fat free microwave popcorn. I crave carbs more than I crave sugar.

Whatever works for you. I wouldn't tell someone else to deprive themselves if that's what works for them.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:15 AM   #35  

Height: 5'4"

I was just telling my husband that I can't, yeah that's right can't, stop eating everything I'm eating now. What I am going to do to begin with is start eating breakfast (I never do now), eat something good for me at lunch, and then eat whatever I normally would with my family at night but just eat less of it. It may not seem like the right thing to do but it's what's right for me right now.
ItsAboutTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #36  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

I think it's generally pretty annoying when someone in real life proselytizes about their food choices, whether it's whole foods or something else.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

My 2 cents...

For the most part, I don't think that there are that many true "clean eating" braggarts here at 3FC. I really don't. There are always going to be a few...but that is the case with anything, anywhere.

But-here are something as a mod that I run into:

~Someone who has lost a few pounds, but have plateaued-and are ranting and complaining and agonizing over it in various threads. Others want to help, and check into their FitDay account. The person IS eating lower calorie...but they are eating a lot of refined foods, sugary foods, etc. and have not ramped up their exercise in months. Others then offer advice...and sometimes the person doesn't really want to "hear" it.

There is a difference between having a fat free pudding, or a 100 calorie pack twice a week-or having a fat free pudding, a 100 calorie pack, and a beer all in the SAME day. That, to me, isn't moderation. If someone is on a 1200 calorie plan, they just had about 1/4 of their diet (300 calories) in "junk".

Moderation is okay...but with some dieters, it "isn't" moderation.

There are also personal choices that slowly happen over time-as nelie talked about. Different goals. These often change from the time that we start losing weight as we progress or start to maintain. Some have goals of simply being a certain weight or size...and that is it.

Many of us, though, have goals of continually getting fitter and healthier-and that also includes slowly omitting refined foods...quitting smoking...choosing to only drink wine on occasion if we drink alcohol because of its health benefits...choosing to only have a small piece of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, rather than milk, if we do choose to have some (for the antioxidant punch)...choosing maybe to become a vegetarian, or omitting beef from our diets...choosing to eat organics, not only because of our health-but for the environment as well...there are SOOOO many things that evolve for many of us here over time.

It isn't just with food-it is also with fitness. Some choose to only walk for exercise, or do Curves, and that is just fine. But, others get more motivated, and end up running marathons, or competing in bodybuilding competitions, or end up being aerobics instructors, personal trainers, or something similar. (When I was 21 and partying, I never thought that 10 years later I would be a dance teacher, and would only drink wine.)

It is a personal journey for all of us, and we are all in different places, and will all end up in different places.
I guess you just have to stop taking things personally. I don't get offended when I am at a dance conference and half of them are vegetarians (I am not)...they don't eat meat, are proud of it...and I can eat beef.

I just prefer it to be a brand that doesn't use antibiotics and growth hormones.

We are all different.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

LisaMarie, I think the fact that you are down SEVENTY WHOLE POUNDS (Yay!!), no one should be telling you a thing!

At the risk of getting everyone on here pissed at me (but please hear my point before getting upset), there are people out there in the world who CLEARLY need either some help, encouragement or a plain reality check about their weight and food choices (maybe this should be reserved for someone close to you). If someone who is close to you is on drugs, wouldnt we all chime in about them quitting? Well how is that different from a person who is *significantly* obese eating chips and fast food etc. Isn't there something to be said about people who try to offer encouragement or advice or to have the *you know whats* to risk that person getting mad at them to try to discuss their weight issues? Not sure why people are so offended by this. It is very hard on a person to carry all that weight, as many of you know and sometimes you want to just get someone to start fighting that weight. While many obese people know everything there is to know about healthy food, according to the posters on 3FC many arrived at that weight simply because they are in denial and/or know nothing about nutrition. These types could possibly use some advice. Just TRY to at least determine where the "advice-giver" is coming from when offering up their unsolicited advice Hey, they might actually tell you something worthwhile and to me it shows they care.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote