Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Lilybelle I feel the same exact way as you (which doesn't surprise me). I am so proud of my food choices, I have come a loooong way and I wouldn't change one little thing that I am doing now. Of course I always reserve the right to change it up a bit if I find it is no longer working for me. Do I think that the artificial stuff should be kept to a minimum? Yup. Am I perfect? Of course not. But I don't HAVE to be.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:08 PM   #17  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

I agree that the bashing of anyone's food choices is inappropriate and just plain rude. And hey - I drink evil tap water!! I sometimes have a hard time with a friend whom I consider a "water snob!" I do drink bottled water when I buy some to take with me somewhere but not to keep in the house when there is a faucet right there.
If I were to bash something, it would not be the eater but something much bigger than that, a socio-economic precedent that I often wonder about: how did white bread and white rice get to be the "default" settings for food choices when you go to a restaurant or convenience store... how did chicken nuggets and french fries and corn dogs become the "default" selections on kids menus.... that kind of thing. It just baffles me. But I have no right to bash anyone for their individual choices as to what to consume.
jo

Last edited by Spinymouse; 02-18-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #18  

I think that whatever works for you is the thing you should do. I tried Atkins and couldn't lose weight on it, and I had a hard time sticking to it. I've tried WW and The Zone... You name it. I finally found something that's working, and it just happens to be a vegan diet. But I would never make comments to anyone about their choices. We all have to find the program that works for us. And anyone who's lost 70 pounds obviously knows what she's doing!!!

My best friend has eaten an Atkins-style diet for many years, and it works for her. It's pretty funny when we go out to eat together now. :-)

My biggest concern is the excessive history of heart disease in my family, and that's why I chose a diet that avoids meat and dairy and focuses on whole grains and legumes. But that's just my family. My husband's family, for instance, has no history of heart disease on either side, and they all live into their 90s. So he doesn't have the same concerns I do.

The biggest thing, I think, is finding something you can stick with. No matter what type of diet it is, what good is it if you can't stay on it? You shouldn't have to defend the way you eat, epecially when you're so successful. You're to be congratulated!! I'm in awe of you, LisaMarie. I hope the day comes when *I* can say I've lost 71 pounds!
JukieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #19  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
This is reallly a great thread to think about. I'm guilty of the following sins/pleasures.
1. I eat regular peanut butter
2. I use Splenda in my coffee
3. I buy regular fruits and veggies, not the more expensive organic ones
4. I occasionally have baked cheetos or baked doritos with my tuna sandwich on whole wheat bread for lunch.
5. I drink a diet soda if I want one

But, compared to the fact that before changing my life, these were my sins/pleasures I am doing great:
1. I had 2 sausage,egg, cheese biscuits with hashbrowns and a super-size regular coke most every morning for breakfast
2. Lunch was almost always Pizza (3-4) slices with breadsticks and full-fat ranch dressing, Or Taco Bell Quesadilla with an extra beef and cheese burrito
3. Dinner was usually KFC, a 3 piece fried chicken dinner with Large coke or a whole Family size bucket of chicken nuggets with 2 orders mashed potatoes and gravy.
4. I used to drink a 6 pack per day of Mountain Dew in the 24 oz. bottles
5. I used to eat 2 or 3 candy bars a day.
6. Often had a large ice cream butterfinger blizzard from Sonic as a late night snack.

I've come a long way and I'm proud of how I eat now. It's a far cry from how I used to eat. So even though my eating isn't perfect, it is pretty darn good now.
Wow, what wonderful changes! And reading your post was like looking into a mirror. I used to eat like that too. I never ate breakfast (I still rarely do, I'm just not hungry in the morning) but for lunch I'd have a Big Mac, a large fry and chicken nuggets. If we ordered pizza, I wanted a medium to myself and would usually eat all or most of it. My biggest addiction was big bowls of pasta covered in some type of cream sauce. And fried foods. Batter it and fry it and I'd eat it.

As for the original topic, I wouldn't be bothered by what others say. Just do what's best for you and to heck with the rest of it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #20  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

Angry

I don't think anyone is trying to bash someone else...I think it is just how it comes out and being passionate about something can color intent.

There have been a number of time I have seen someone post

I ate <xyz> and I feel horrible. Please help me get over this and keep going.
or

As part of my plan which work fine for me I am eating <xyz>.

People may reply with

OH MY GOODness you can never eat <xyz> again...did you know it has <abc> in it? They have done a billion studies on <abc> and it can lead to <insert horrible thing here> I never eat anything with <abc> in it. I have lost (insert lbs here) and I perfectly fine never eating <xyz> and you should be too.

When really they mean.

Have you thought about trying an alternative to <xyz>? I know it tastes good, but it has <abc> in it which isn't so great for you. I try and stay away from <xyz> and that has helped me in my journey. Either way, good luck with your journey and remember to do what works for you.

Also it bothers me when someone posts about something and people reply with unsolicited advice about what they are doing wrong? Did I ask you that? When in my post about basket weaving did I mention I wanted advice about how horrible I am eating?

Ok, I am being a little extreme here, but you get the idea.

-Obie, sometimes feeling like sometimes there is nothing but space and opportunity.
Obsidianbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Like Lily, Nelie, Linda and others, my food choices have really improved since I started this personal journey (great way to see it, Nelie). I don't always make great choices. In fact, many of my daily choices aren't really ideal. But compared to before... such a difference!

I also see how these better choices translates not only into weight loss, but also into better health and energy for me. Not only that, but I also love the food I'm eating. Sometimes wish I made more of these better choices. Maybe I will over time, maybe not.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:44 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Obie -- I had to laugh at your description and think you're so right that people often mean something different than they say. And this medium of communication isn't the easiest to really get the intent of sometimes. Smilies can help interpret a person's intentions but there's still a lot of miscommunication!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Yeah, it is really rude and annoying.

Looking at this from the other side of the fence, though... for some people it's the "all or nothing" mentality. While they have no right to tell you what you should and what you shouldn't be eating (way to go on 71 lbs, btw!!) I think it may just be easier for them to put bad foods on the same "level" as drugs, kind of. They're bad, and them as well as everyone need to just stay away from them!

Last edited by FreeSpirit; 02-18-2007 at 03:45 PM.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #24  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think it has finally truly sunk in that the "all or nothing" mentality has largely contributed to my obesity. When I couldn't be "good," I would either stop trying or worse, decide to be "really bad" one "last" time before trying to be "good" again.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:26 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianbbw View Post
Also it bothers me when someone posts about something and people reply with unsolicited advice about what they are doing wrong? Did I ask you that? When in my post about basket weaving did I mention I wanted advice about how horrible I am eating?
I dont think its the posts about basket weaving that get that response, its the ones that complain (and in some cases whine) about being overweight, having a "slow metabolism", being addicted to sugar and binging, or not being able to keep the weight off. In those instances, IMHO its perfectly appropriate for people to comment on things they glean from the post that the poster may be doing to sabotage their weightloss goals. I think people are just trying to be helpful, and we certainly dont have to agree with everything every single respondent comes back with. I just think people should consider seeing a response to a post in a positive rather than negative light when it could just as easily be viewed from the opposite viewpoint (e.g. criticizing vs. wanting to help). IMO, people on 3FC generally mean well.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #26  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

kaplods, I agree completely. The "all or nothing" attitude made me even fatter. I even had Dr.'s that made me feel that the only way to lose weight was to live on baked chicken breast, salad, fruit and brocolli every day. I have to feel like my food choices are ones that I can live with everyday to continue my journey.

I agree also with the posters that say "I don't think anyone is trying to be rude or hurtful". I think every one of us is passionate about this journey and we try to help each other out. No two of us eat the exact same. We all have personal preferences and can respect each others journey.

wyllen, exactly. At least now I look at the food labels and see what I put in my mouth. Before, I was oblivious. Even on my very worst day, I eat much better than I did before. If I have a severe craving for a cookie, I read the label and decide I'd rather have a 90 calorie Rice Krispie treat bar compared to a 200 calorie chocolate chip cookie. Even small changes like this really add up over time.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #27  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

There is so much conflicting information if you really get looking into it, that we wouldn't be able to eat anything if we tried to follow it all. No red meat! Oh no no no! And not too much fish because of mercury... and not too much carbohydrate... unless it's whole wheat pasta, which frankly tastes like cardboard to me ... And absolutely no margarine, but no butter, either... and never any refined sugar... heavens, no... and watch out for spinach and salads in bags... And don't eat soy because it might have estrogen-like effects... eggs have cholesterol... and mustn't have too much salt... and caffeine is bad for you, except when it isn't... And don't eat frozen dinners, they aren't good... heavens, no fast foods ever! and no olives, good grief!!! and only free-range chicken... Well, you get the idea. (and probably got it long ago!)

Let's all try to do the best we can, and not judge what others are doing. Wouldn't that be lovely?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

OK, I sometimes eat Cool Whip,I admit it, please don't tell the Food Police.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:20 PM   #29  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

JayEll - I really liked your post!
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #30  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

JayE, I like your post too. I don't have the desire to stress out over every little thing. I'm happy enough to know how much calories and fat I am getting. Besides, I am blind as a bat and couldn't possibly read all that tiny info. on the food packages. It takes me long enough to grocery shop as it is.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote