Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #16  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

LLV, I did talk to her and now to the school both about her lunch account. It seems that even if she gets some salad or a piece of fruit off the salad bar, that she is charged for a full meal. It's a very small school and the lunch ladies did say that all she ever gets is some salad to go with the food that I have sent. So, this made me feel better. I pack her favorite fruits everyday, but she told me she often saves it and eats it on the bus coming home. I was relieved to learn she isn't eating 2 whole meals everyday. Her school has really unhealthy meals. Their typical menu for the week is : hotdogs, hamburgers, fried corn dogs with tater tots, pizza and sloppy joes. This is why she doesn't want their food. They get away with this because there is always a salad bar. I've been to her school many times and have never in my life seen that many obese kids in one school.

I sure wish things were like it was when I was growing up. You had to take either sports (basketball) or P.E. It wasn't optional and it was a full hour every school day. We had very few over-weight or obese kids then.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #17  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
Their typical menu for the week is : hotdogs, hamburgers, fried corn dogs with tater tots, pizza and sloppy joes.
This is the typical menu at my son's school as well. Some days he packs, some days he buys. It depends on what they're having. He loves his pizza and his hot dogs and always wants to buy on those days. Which I'm not too crazy about, but oh well. At least at home I know he's eating lower-fat versions of his favorite things, whether he knows he is or not.

And I'm glad you found out about what your daughter was eating. That really stinks they charge for a whole meal for just one or two pieces of food. Somehow that just doesn't seem right.

Thanks again to everyone that commented in this thread. And I'll do my best to make sure he doesn't become obsessed with this. Like I said, I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I'm really glad he's conscious of certain foods, but he definitely doesn't eat healthy ALL of the time.

You know what irritates me - those frozen kids meals. If they can make "lean" frozen entrees for adults, why can't they do that for the kids as well? I'm sure they probably assume the products wouldn't sell. Because let's face it, most kids don't care about eating healthy. But those kids meals are horrendous with the fat and calories. Unfortunately my son likes them. But I don't buy them all that often.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
You know what irritates me - those frozen kids meals. If they can make "lean" frozen entrees for adults, why can't they do that for the kids as well? I'm sure they probably assume the products wouldn't sell. Because let's face it, most kids don't care about eating healthy. But those kids meals are horrendous with the fat and calories. Unfortunately my son likes them. But I don't buy them all that often.
What I don't understand is why they can't just make them lean in the first place? They'd make them more appealing to all parents, and without the "lean" on the packaging, it wouldn't scare children off. People who care about calories and fat content... can look and see that it's a good option, and it'll be all the better for those who don't care. It might be more expensive, but I would think they could make it up by how many other people they'd be reaching. Heck... if they made those healthier, I might even eat one for a treat as lunch!

I dunno... us healthies need to write to the company and give them some marketing advice!
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #19  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

good lord - this totally unrelated thread hijacking. my dd (3) is one of those toddlers that many days eats next to nothing, and then somedays hold on tight!

today for lunch she had 1/2 apple, 8 oz plain yogurt with cinnamon & tiny bit of sugar, cucumber & pepper slices,(still hungry!) slice of bread, macadamia nuts, (still hungry!) small piece of birthday ice cream-cake (still hungry!) hummus and crackers.

that is more than she eats most full days

I am kind of glad that I wont have to deal with the school lunch issue until 4th grade - she will be going to a pack-only school til then. and most of the parents are organic hippies so even if she trades it will probably be something healthy
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:12 PM   #20  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelypurple View Post
What I don't understand is why they can't just make them lean in the first place? They'd make them more appealing to all parents, and without the "lean" on the packaging, it wouldn't scare children off. People who care about calories and fat content... can look and see that it's a good option, and it'll be all the better for those who don't care. It might be more expensive, but I would think they could make it up by how many other people they'd be reaching. Heck... if they made those healthier, I might even eat one for a treat as lunch!

I dunno... us healthies need to write to the company and give them some marketing advice!
I totally agree with everything you've said here!

lol
Old 02-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #21  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
good lord - this totally unrelated thread hijacking.
Honey, you guys talk about whatever you WANT to talk about, I enjoy reading everyone's stories and thoughts
Old 02-18-2007, 08:17 PM   #22  
On A Mission

S/C/G: 250/ticker/140

Height: 5ft 3in

sounds like you're teaching him the right things, concern about nutrition, not about numbers on a scale.
mkat321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:29 PM   #23  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Hey Linda ~ I know you have this in control and are obviously paying attention to your boy. Coming from a male perspective though, I suggest that somehow gently, you explain to him that other little boys don't really care about CALORIES...and they may WANT to go to MC-D's...I guess what I am trying to say is you know how boys can be and you sure don't want him getting smacked in the mouth for saying something that may stop the "fun"...am I making any sense here?
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #24  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Hey Linda ~ I know you have this in control and are obviously paying attention to your boy. Coming from a male perspective though, I suggest that somehow gently, you explain to him that other little boys don't really care about CALORIES...and they may WANT to go to MC-D's...I guess what I am trying to say is you know how boys can be and you sure don't want him getting smacked in the mouth for saying something that may stop the "fun"...am I making any sense here?
Yes, I've told him that

I don't want him preaching to all of his friends about how McDonald's uses bad fats, lol.

But then again, maybe somebody needs to. Childhood obesity is getting worse.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #25  

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post

I did get a call from her school yesterday saying she owes $26.00 on her lunch account. I am figuring that since I pack her lunch every day that she is eating not only what I fix for her but what the school is serving too. So, maybe my "help" is in fact making the situation worse. She refuses to weigh, but I do notice she is trying to exercise a little bit more. I have noticed that all her size 3 jeans are too small and she keeps "borrowing" my clothes.
That isn't always the case. I'm in school, so I'd know a little about it. But she could be buying her friends some lunch on her account. Just a suggestion.
Gamerchick is offline   Reply With Quote