Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #31  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Something I continually remind myself about: STEREOTYPES - they exist "for a reason." I try not to be pre-judgmental of anyone for any reason, but I have found that sometimes I just AM. I think that's human nature.

I've looked at pictures of me in both fat & thin times, & WOW - what a difference! - Not just my weight, obviously! - but the way I dressed, the way I wore my hair, everything. Even quite a few pics of "chunky me" where I am literally HIDING behind someone else in the picture (sad). Otherwise, when thin, I am wearing something cool, funky, modern, stylish. So there's "chunky me" VS "funky me".

I prefer FUNKY ME. So why wouldn't anyone else?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #32  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

There are many discriminating people out there. The only difference between being discriminated against because of weight is that we can do something about that. You can't change the color of your skin or a disability. I think people who have never had weight issues look at overweight people as letting themselves go and not taking care of themselves, never knowing that there are sometimes many underlying issues involved. Food can be a comfort, people who have been sexually abused, for example, sometimes subconsciously gain weight as a cover up so they won't be attractive to the opposite sex, etc., etc., etc.

Denise
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #33  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I just have to admit ...

I dont think i have fat fascism towards adults, but I most definitely make negative judgments towards the parents of fat kids. It pisses me off when I see obese 7 year olds and I just want to slap the parent silly.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #34  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamerchick View Post
My boyfriend said to me, "Well...you shouldn't be angry over anyone being rude to you. Their opinion doesn't matter. And since you're doing something about it, you shouldn't even be considered fat."

I take it as a compliment...and really, I guess I am weird about it, but why are we on this site if we weren't trying to lose weight for our own reasons? If you're on here to fit in to society's standards, I feel sorry for you.

I want it for me, so *@&* What everyone else thinks.

(Of course, I get upset when people say rude things...but eventually, you got to get over it. EVERYONE is made fun of for something, and I don't care WHO you are!)
I do think there is a difference between people who wallow in their fat and if they can do something about they make excuses and don't- and the people who are fat and actively working hard to lose the weight that harms their mental and physical health. So if you are here, and working for something beautiful like health- tell people to mind their business, and their ignorance and insensitivity isn't appreciated. We should keep our chins up- smile (even if it is a wicked smile). Not only does that help acceptance by speaking up- but it also says you know being unhealthy isn't okay- and that is why you work so damn hard. ^-~ [to everyone>
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:13 PM   #35  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
I just have to admit ...

I dont think i have fat fascism towards adults, but I most definitely make negative judgments towards the parents of fat kids. It pisses me off when I see obese 7 year olds and I just want to slap the parent silly.
Ok, I'm the same way! If I, as an adult, choose to remain fat and unhealthy that is my choice, but when I see a kid, who is seriously overweight, not just kid chubby, but overweight, and I see the child acting out in public and mom or dad slipping them a candy bar, bubble gum, promising mcdonalds etc, I get infuriated! My kids don't even know what fast food is. We eat at restraunts, real ones, when we eat out, even if it's a buffet style. We always make sure we serve there what we would serve at home, 50% of plate to fresh fruits n veggies, 25 to meat 25 to grains. They get dessert, usually jello or frozen yogurt if its available. I would HATE to see my kids struggle with these exact same issues I struggle with. My parents always told me they worked hard to make my life better than theirs, in all ways not just financially or via education. I want the same for my kids. I want them to think of low fat yogurt as a dessert, not a punishment.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote