Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #1  
mary

S/C/G: 306

Default HELP please

I admit I haven't been on line in forever, but I have a question, how overweight is too "fat" to fly????? I haven't flown in two years and I am afraid I am too huge now, I weigh 286....I think I weighed about 20 lbs less two years ago, any one with some help would be great....THANKS
marree38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #2  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I still fit in the seats at 264, it might depend on the type of plane and how you are built. I would ask the airline you are flying with. Keep in mind if the plane isn't full the armrests can fold up.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #3  
Meg

Marree - I moved your question to its own thread so it wouldn't get lost.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:01 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've flown at my top weight of 360 lbs and it wasn't comfortable but it was doable. Last time I flew, I weighed around 270 and was a huge change from when I flew at 360 and a lot more comfortable so you should be fine.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:41 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I agree that it really depends on how you're built. I've flown at about 300 pounds, and it's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but I survived (and they didn't make me buy an additional seat or anything, and the seatbelt fit across my lap). However, I've also heard from women of similar weight that it was a pretty horrendous experience, so I think build has a lot to do with it.

Oh, and I've only really flown on Southwest, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I've also heard that you can request a seat belt extension if necessary.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I flew many times at my top weight. It wasn't comfortable and I had to have the armrest raised, but I was never charged for two seats. From 280 and down, I no longer had to have the seat belt extension and the arm rest would lower comfortably. I am pear shaped with a lot of my weight in my lower tummy, if that helps.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I've flown at my top weight too (300 pounds) and it is not the most comfortable thing but it is doable. I have never been told that I need to buy another seat. I carry a lot of weight in my abdomine so the seat belt would either not fit me (so they have seat belt extenders) or it would be very tight. I flew for the first time in like 6 months in December and I was so happy that I could fit in the seats much better and the seatbelt actually fit right.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #8  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

i have flown in the 260-270 range and it wasn't really comfortable and i did have to ask for an extender (which was, i'll admit, embarrassing a bit). but, that being said, it was certainly doable and nobody was rude to me or anything......
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:26 PM   #9  
Just Do It!

OK you guys have totally touched on my biggest fear!!! I flew one and a half years ago and it was the most horriffic experience- sitting all sqwunched up in those tiny-arse seats, at one stage it was so painful I slept a couple hours in the fold out stewardesses chair. I have to again this june for 25 hrs hence the super-diet!!! Dam those airlines- those seats are too small for small people!!!!

Just a note: My wide arse is probably a special case you'll probably be fine.
chimichanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I have a big butt...and that's no lie. At over 250 pounds, I've flown Northeast Delta, American and Continental (including extremely small comuter and prop flights). I've never had trouble buckling the belt, but some of the flights (most of them) were uncomfortable. The armrests are the biggest problem and would dig into my rear. But I got through fine. I always wanted to be able to spring for first class and try those luxury liner seats. But then I lost weight and I think those bozos at the airlines widened all the seats.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I agree that it depends on how you're built, but I think you'll be okay. I seem to have been large for someone at 295 (I wore a 28/32). I flew to Asia and back 4 times weighing between 250 and 285 pounds, as well as taking numerous shorter trips. I wasn't comfortable, especially on those LOOOONG overseas trips, but did it. You may want a seatbelt extender, and keeping the armrest up can be beneficial if you have the opportunity.

If the flight is long (overseas) try to get up and move around every couple of hours to avoid getting any blood clots! And drink plenty of water.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 AM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I will say that the size of the seat varies GREATLY from plane to plane and airline to airline. The bigger planes have bigger seats. Generally even in the teeny tiny cigar puddle jumpers they will squeeze 3 or 4 seats in a row.

I have put my daughter's car seat in a lot of different planes. In small planes it is so tight that generally I lose half my seat to her carseat. In the biggest plane I was actually able to put down the armrest. Most planes are somewhere in the middle.

If you have a choice of how you fly pick bigger planes for the trip. Like when we go home to indiana we could take a big plane to chicago and a teeny tiny plane to indiana. Or we can take a big plane to cinci and a medium size plane to indiana.

Avoid puddle jumpers.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I will say smaller Chinese planes were the most uncomfortable for me most recent, the leg room was crazy small but the seats weren't too bad. I also have a big belly so at my highest weight, I did need a seat belt extender but I flew to Europe and back twice using seat belt extenders.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #14  
Bekka

S/C/G: 200/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

A link from a fabulous blog, talking about airplane widths - http://www.chubbygirlbrigade.com/200...e_cgb_air.html

Also a chart with comparative seat widths for different airlines/makes of plane - wasn't sure where you were flying, but there are other charts for international flights:
http://www.seatguru.com/charts/domestic_economy.php
improbable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:39 AM   #15  
Nursing Momma

S/C/G: 312/247/212

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I flew in November (I was anywhere between 270ish - maybe pushing 280). I have large hips. The seats were very uncomfortable. I was definitely squeezing into them. I didn't need a seatbelt extender, even with my 3 months post partum belly. This was on Continental. I'll be flying Contintental next week and wonder how the seats will feel this time. My flight out was entirely full and I was holding my 3 month old, no one was flying with me. In addition to trying to stay in my seat and not slop into the seat next to me, I was also trying to nurse my daughter descreetly, in a middle seat, not fun! I had great passengers around me though (the guy originally slated to sit next to me did trade seats though). On the way back, there was one empty seat and it ended up being next to me. I was thrilled. Arm rest went up!

I have flown at 13 weeks pregnant and about 285, didn't need seat belt extender - flew Southwest.

I have also flown at 8 and 9 weeks pregnant (around 275) on Delta and Northwest. Uncomfortable, but DH was next to me so we snuggle. We got bumped to first class and those seats are NICE - unfortunately, the plane had engine trouble and we never took off and we got sent back to Coach on another airline.

Flying smaller is definitely easier, but although uncomfy, I've not had to ask for a seatbelt extender OR pay more.
jennylou is offline   Reply With Quote