Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Default Another example of the food industry trying to kill us! Now with pancakes!

There have been times in my life where I loved nothing more than going to Bob Evans for pancakes. I used to love their pancakes and thought they were out of this world. I recently saw their new commercials for their "stacked and stuffed" pancakes, and I just wondered what the nutritional info on something like that might be. There are three types, one of which is called "roasted caramel apple cream stacked and stuffed hotcakes." They all are stuffed with cream cheese, and others include ingredients such as bananas, pecans, chocolate chips, etc.

Well, Bob Evans has taken a completely reasonable meal of 3 pancakes for about 525 calories, and changed it to 2 pancakes with around 1500 calories, 50-70 grams of fat, and some grams of trans fats, too....And you know some people are ordering bacon and sausage with that!

Their pancakes have always been good! Why are they trying to kill us? Now even relatively non-fast food restaurants are getting into the bigger food battle...and it's killing us slowly. Now they've even done it with pancakes.

I know it's about money, but it just seems sooo unnecessary.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:11 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I think people have to be responsible for what they choose to eat--but most people don't know just how much they are eating with things like that.

Maybe restaurants ought to be required to put the calories and fat grams *right on the menu* along with the price for each item!

Jay
Old 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #3  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

I've actually thought that for years now; after all, it's just another illustration of the "price" you'll be paying, isn't it?
Old 01-26-2007, 07:31 PM   #4  
Meg

I never thought of it that way, but you're absolutely right!!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm glad I don't like pancakes.

I'm also glad we don't have Bob Evans out here.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:43 PM   #6  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

I have seen that commercial with those new hotcakes! Do you know that a few years ago I would have been one of the first to try BOTH kinds! I NEVER gave a thought to eating healthy, how many calories something has, whether the food had whatever kinds of fat or how much etc.

I think the mindset that I had was TOTAL DENIAL that any restaurant or company would offer a product that would have any defects of any kind!

Sometimes I think that when food was mentioned I would go into some kind of trance that would cause my brain to disengage as my mouth savored each bite!

I'm an educated person, but I was NOT educated about eating in a healthy way. I think a lot of people are in that same boat!

I was distressed to hear that our children's generation has a lower life expectancy than WE do due to all of the fats, sugars etc. in all the foods. Who needs war to kill people? Our food is doing the job very well!

Cheryl
Old 01-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It is just amazing how much food places serve. dh and I if we do go to ihop (rarely - and usually only after I have just done a race) split an omelet with the grain and nut pancakes and still have leftovers.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:41 PM   #8  
Baby steps

S/C/G: 280/270/160

Height: 5'8"

1500 calories? TWO PANCAKES?!

Sweet llamas, that is insane. And just imagine how many people are ordering that with sausage, bacon, and eggs on the side. With extra whipped cream and drowning it in syrup. Ugh, my arteries are clogging just thinking about it.

On the rare occasion that I go anywhere like that, it's IHOP and I get a half omelet and eat it for 2 or 3 meals.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/250/160

Height: 5ft.5"

It is so true, I just joined fat chicks and really started looking at fat grams in some of the foods we eat and boy if your not careful you can add hundreds of calories wihout even knowing it, espeacily in take out food!!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:46 PM   #10  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Maybe restaurants ought to be required to put the calories and fat grams *right on the menu* along with the price for each item!
I dream of the day when this is required!

It is shocking how many calories are in restaurant food. Unless I know otherwise, I just any entre, no matter how healthy it sounds, is 1000 to 1200 calories (which is close to my entire calorie budget for the day). Even salads are often times this high in calories. Given that most meals that I make are under 400 calories a serving, sometimes I wonder how they get the calories so high.

The food section in my local paper has run a couple of recipes lately that were 1200 calories per serving (at least they included the nutritional info). It just seems inexcusable, especially since it's the beginning of the year and a lot of people are trying to lose weight and eat healthier.

I also hate it when restaurants have one small section of "diet" entres that they try to make sound as unappealing as possible and only provide nutritional info for those dishes. Come on, 'fess up and give me the nutritional info for everything. And just because I'm trying to eat lower calorie/fat/sugar foods, doesn't mean I want my food to sound unappealling.

We don't eat out much anymore and this is definitely one of the reasons why.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

I make homemade buttermilk pancakes using pumpkin instead of oil, ww pastry flour instead of white flour, and nonfat buttermilk. Super-healthy and my DH and DDs love them and refuse to eat pancakes anywhere but at home.

Honestly, the world is FULL of things that might feel good for a moment, but not for a lifetime. Recently I wrote myself a note and taped it to the mirror in my closet that says, "Nobody promised you EASY." It's to remind me when that inner voice is whining about how hard it is to give up a goody I'd like to eat or how tough it is to get up at 5am to work out, that it's not any easier overeating and gaining weight. Hey, nobody promised me 'easy' in this lifetime. Life IS HARD. We just get to pick which difficult route we want to take. For me, I'm choosing the fit, healthy, slim route. It's hard, but it's worth it. Screw the Bob Evans pancakes.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:38 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Honestly, we are trying to kill ourselves and restaurants and food products are just trying to make money off of that desire. If those pancakes don't sell, then Bob Evans won't sell them. If oreos and twinkies didn't sell, then their manufacturers wouldn't make them. I really believe we need to be personally responsible for our nutrition.

I like pancakes but only without syrup. I think syrup makes them sickeningly sweet. I've always been like that though, as young as I can remember. I was always thought the strange kid/person for not wanting syrup with pancakes, waffles or french toast. I couldn't imagine these stuffed pancakes and how sweet they must be. I'm also glad that I don't like Bob Evans so it isn't some place I'd be going anyway.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I have really had to change my thinking in order to lose weight and to continue to lose weight. I no longer look at it as what I am giving up, the high-calorie, high fat and sugar content foods. I HAD to look at it as what I will be GAINING - a healthier, better, happier, hopefully longer, more active and productive life. It is amazing how quickly one can change their views on food and in turn change their lives around.

I haven't seen the commercial, but I assume in the past it would have intrigued me and made me want to eat it and now from the sound of it, it repulses me. I could honestly say that I have ZERO interest in eating that. It's like I've found a new religion and eating that would be a major sin. Totally unacceptable and not in the realm of possibility.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I guess the one positive thing is that Bob Evans made it very easy to find the nutritional information on their website...even if it showed 1500 calories per serving!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #15  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

"It's like I've found a new religion and eating that would be a major sin."
-Robin

Wow, Robin! That's SOOOOOOO true! This weight loss thing IS like adopting a NEW RELIGION! A person's religion IS a series of beliefs and rules so to speak. Yeah, weight loss IS just like that!

Thanks for the interesting new way to think about the process!

Cheryl
Closed Thread