Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Unhappy ONE-derland and my mom.

First off, this morning I reached 199 lbs!!!! ONE-derland feels ONE-derful.

Now, even though I'm so excited and I'd like to scream it to the world.. I'm feeling a little bit down, too.

I feel guilty for losing weight when my mom is losing none. I am proud of myself, but, I'm sad for her. I don't want to make her feel bad about herself because I'm losing weight and she's not.

I mean, I'm sure that she wants to try, and she quit smoking 3 days ago so it's been hard for her... but, I don't know... I just feel bad for losing weight.

Bleh. Am I stupid for feeling this way?
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Oh, Melissa, I am sure your mom would be happy for you. You are doing so wonderful!!! Everyone loses at a different pace. Is your mom Trying to lose?? If she is maybe you can help each other. If not, then she has no cause to be upset.

congrats On getting to onederland AND for 35 pounds loss!!!!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #3  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Congrats to you! With your mom quitting smoking, maybe work on one goal at a time?
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #4  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi Melissa!

Congratulations for reaching ONEderland!

Don't let ANYTHING or ANYONE diminish this wonderful feeling for you!

I have been eight months trying to lose 10 stupid pounds so I can get to ONEderland, and I am VERY happy that yet another person has shown that it IS indeed possible!

YOU go, girl!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

First of all let me just say CONGRATULATIONS on making it to ONEderland!!!!

Second of all, I can't imagine that any mother in the world would not be absolutely THRILLED BEYOND BELIEF that there child was becoming healthier. I am sure she is sooooo very happy for you. Hopefully she'll take a cue from you and start some weightloss soon. That's totally for her to decide. All you can do is be there for her when she needs you and your support.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:14 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Look at it this way--you and your Mom are both trying really hard to do more healthy things. Quitting smoking is really, really hard, and may take about all the will power that she's got! Been there, had to quit twice, no fun either time. And as for you, you have finally gotten to ONE derland. So you're both moving in the right direction. Try to see it like that, and be happy for what you each are doing.

Above all, don't feel guilty. That is a pure waste of time.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:05 PM   #7  

How about finding a way to celebrate your mom's achievement in quiting smoking? Send her a card telling her how proud you are of her! Treat her to a manicure when she reaches a month with out one. (or facial or massage or whatever) If you can't afford to take her to a professional.. you can do it for her. She doesn't have the scale to show her progress, but how about a pretty calendar with stickers for marking successful days without smoking. (And just as we forgive our slips during dieting, be sure she knows that just because she slips once doesn't mean she has to go back to full time smoking. Progress not perfection for quiting smoking too! )
healthytoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #8  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about it. In fact, I'd be elated. Not only have you succeeded in losing weight, but you're setting an example that your mom may gain strength from for the future.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think the card idea for your mom is wonderful. She is doing something wonderful for her health, just as you are-only different things. They are both to be celebrated.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #10  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

First, Congratulations!!! Second, if nothing else, you are setting a positive example for weightloss and being supportive or her quitting smoking, you should be happy for both you and your mom and in no way should you feel guilty!
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote