3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Before Diet - Talk to Doctor - Do you have to? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/102260-before-diet-talk-doctor-do-you-have.html)

Tabby Cat 01-16-2007 03:18 PM

Before Diet - Talk to Doctor - Do you have to?

Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie here, and I have some questions for those who are more experienced in the weight loss/dietting - than I am - right now.

Almost everything you read says : "Before beginning a new diet/exercise plan - Talk to your Doctor".

How many people honestly do this?

The reason I ask is, I am currently in between family doctors right now, and my appointment to get in with the one here near where I live (moved) isn't until March 5 - and I really don't see any reason to wait and ask him, before I begin.

Despite my weight, I am in decent health. I do not have asthma, diabetes, or heart disease - atleast not to my knowledge - and I would guess I'd know :dizzy:

Anyway - Just looking for different opinions on this!

Thank you so much for more than this post - Thank you for the Inspirational Stories - You guys are GREAT! :carrot:

Tabby

nelie 01-16-2007 03:33 PM

The reason they say that is to cover their butts. If something happens to you while you undertake a diet, they can say "well did you consult your doctor? We advised you to do so".

Unless you are doing something dangerous such as taking pills, eating less than 1000 calories/day or following some wacky plan that where you aren't eating a balanced diet, then you should be fine.

NotTheCheat 01-16-2007 03:50 PM

I agree with Nelie, although I was forced to by my gym. They wouldn't let me start without my doctor's clearance, but it is a small family run place and I don't blame them for covering themselves.

simone1ca 01-16-2007 03:56 PM

I agree with what was said. Most of the time it's just a disclaimer for legal purposes. There are diets that I've been on where I WISH I talked to my doc before starting them. I joined WW and he didn't know about it. He's recommended plans, but always leaves it up to me to decide what I want to do.

Tabby Cat 01-16-2007 04:42 PM

Hi :)

Okay Thank you for answering that for me. I can be a bit paranoid - to say the least :stress: lol

I agree with you all, I won't be doing any pills or weird wacko diets! :D

I'll of course bring it up when I go in, in march - Hopefully I'll shed a few more by then, and make it look like I'm honest - when I say I started in January!

Thanks again :hug:

JayEll 01-16-2007 07:05 PM

Hey, Tabby Cat,

Oh, let's see, when my dr. noticed my weight, he told me I had to do something, but he didn't really make any suggestions other than what we have all heard--no weird fad diets, eat healthy foods, start exercising, watch calories. If it would make you feel safer to talk to a dr. first, good--and maybe you'll get a referral to a dietitian or nutritionist, which might be a good thing. The main thing is to make sure you're in good health to begin with.

One thing you might want to do is keep track of what you're doing with FitDay or some other tool, and then print out the summary and take with you when you go to your appointment. Drs. love seeing data like that, and it gives them an idea of what you've been doing.

Jay

KnitALisa 01-17-2007 07:48 AM

I went to my doc before I started my lifestyle change and had some tests (Blood pressure, cholesterol, etc) just to have a base line. After 50 lbs or so, I'll go back and see how I'm doing.

boaterswife 01-17-2007 08:03 AM

I think the other reason some people check with their doctors is because they go from being couch potatos to fanatics.....everything in moderation....and that includes beginning a workout regime! Start slow and build yourself up, don't start with a 10K run!

Tabby Cat 01-17-2007 04:52 PM

Hi There!

Jay you brought up a good idea with printing out the data from Fitday, and showing it to my doctor - that is true - they do love to see stuff like that! :cool:

I checked my Blood pressure last night at the local grocery store's Pharmacy as they have a machine there - and all was right on - normal. I just had a complete blood work done, last time I went in - and all was OK. So I guess I am okay to continue this. I'm doing good as I am one with no willpower whatsoever - Having a little teeny bit of difficulty today, Im wanting to run down to the store and get a Regular Coke - as Im dying for one, but Thankfully there are none in the house - so I'll suffer through it. LOL

Boaters good idea with starting slow and working up too - As, I went at this, this time with a vengeance. Ive not been over-doing it though, but Im being much more strict with myself than ever before - and I can see where some would go overboard.

Thanks again for all your help!