Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #1  
kris

S/C/G: 199/185/140

Height: 5'6

Default im so depressed at how i look i don't think i will ever lose it

hi all, its been a very long time since i posted here. im at my all time high/low right now, i weigh 190 pounds! i am very upset with myself for getting this big. im afraid the weight is never going to come off. i have gained over 25 pounds in the last 2 years and i have absolutly no will power or motivation to do anything about it. i know im whining, sorry about that. i have been trying to get motivated for the last month and nothing seems to work. today i have made a "plan", i am going to try to start getting up early everyday and work out for 30 minutes and then another 30 minutes every evening, cut back on my calories and see how that goes. i know as soon as i make a "plan" that it might last 3-5 days then its over for me, but i guess as long as im trying its better then just giving up. any words of incouragement would be appreicieated, thanks
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/125/125

Height: 5'4

Oh Kris, I'm sorry you feel this way. But good for you for making steps to acheive your goal. Look at my story, I was 230 lbs and I've lost 102 pounds. It wasn't easy and it didn't happen overnight. It's very hard to get the motivation to do it. But if you can, funnel the energy you're using to be depressed into being healthy. It's one day at a time, and you can do it.

Good Luck,

Carrie
Cheercoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

IMHO, one problem some people have is that they try to COMPLETELY change EVERYTHING in ONE day and when it becomes difficult to keep up so many new habits, they give up. How about you forget about losing weight right now and just work on changing a FEW things. Forget the "all or nothing" attitude. This is what I would do for the next 2 weeks:

1. I would cut back your planned exercise program to either 30 minutes in the morning or 30 minutes in the evening; I wouldn't do both at first because you may get burned out; get sore; get bored; run out of energy..and then give up for good. START SLOW. You're already burning more than usual with just 30 minutes.

2. Log EVERY thing you eat and drink in fitday.com.

3. Substitute 3 fattening things you eat regularly for a healthier alternative.

4. Decrease your portion sizes a bit.

You can step it up from there. For example, add more exercise and cut the calories by 10% (if you're averaging 2800 calories per day, cut down to 2500 per day). The following week cut another 10%. Soon you can go a lot further than this, but maybe baby steps are what you need.

I'm no expert, but this is how I would go about it.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:08 PM   #4  
kris

thanks for the advice, i think i will try the one 30 minute workout to start with and start cutting back on all the junk food and cola for now. one day at a time and hopefully i will stick with it.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #5  

25 pounds over 2 years is a gain of one pound a month or around 100 too many calories a day. Getting healthier is always good but you don't need drastic lifestyle changes to fix this one.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:22 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Oh Krisk... I know those exact feelings!

But really - don't try to do everything at once. I've read that the surest way to incorporate new, good habits into your life is to do them s....l....o....w....l....y. Start with one habit... such as replacing a 3pm sugar craving with a citrus fruit. Do that for a few days. Then incorporate another habit. Such as drinking only one soda instead of 3. Then a few days later, conquer another habit... & so forth.

As for exercise, try to commit to just 15 minutes. Then the next day, add another five. Or lift 30 pounds & the next day add 2 more pounds. And just keep right on going.

Little steps are somehow easier than big ones. And once something becomes a habit, you're good to go!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #7  
mmm nutella

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 5 1/2"

If I waited for motivation to do something I would never do get anything done!

Oddly enough, I usually get motivation AFTER I've done something. For instance, it's not motivation that gets me out of the bed in the morning to go to the gym. I just know I'll feel better afterwards and that'll give me a REASON to do it again.

And I know it's hard because when you're warm and cozy in bed, it'll feel good to just stay put too!
hotnewspirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #8  
I can do it !!!!

Height: 5'6"

Everyone has given you good advice. I haven't posted myself either recently. But wanted to support you and tell you that I know how you feel. I was silly to start before the holidays, but I did. I haven't lost much, but I feel good about myself and the changes I made. I used to feel the way you do now, but don't give up on yourself. If you want to do it, you can and you will. Goodluck!
2Bthinagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #9  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Quote:
If I waited for motivation to do something I would never do get anything done!
Same here! Motivation is an emotion, and just like happiness and sadness, it comes and goes. You might try making lists about why you want to lose the weight, why you've put it on, changes that you can make, etc. Reasons for exercising. Read them over when you feel lazy and unmotivated. Or come to us for a kick in the pants
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:59 PM   #10  

Motivation is sometimes hard to conjure up out of thin air. A few ideas that might help you...

Think about how long it might take for you to reach your goal. I'd say 50 pounds in 6 months is probably a good goal...you can do it quicker, but probably not by much. You can plan on a trip to visit some friends or to a beach vacation, something that gets you excited and focused about what you're about to do.

Understand that you can't lose all 50 pounds in a month, so the key is consistency. Don't go overboard one day on exercise and eating too few calories, and then the next 2 days eat too much...the more consistent you can be eating good every day and exercising, the more sustainable the pace, and the better you'll be able to adopt a new lifestyle.

Find a friend or family member who wants to do it with you. Enter a contest like Body for Life or another weight loss contest...just to keep you a little bit more focused and motivated.

You just need a little push to get the momentum you need to really get back into the zone. As some of the others said, stick to an easy to manage level of exercise (30 min a day is good), and don't overly restrict your food right away. Find a good target amount of calories and see how it works for you. This is a learning process, and you can adapt each week depending on your progress.

Visualize your success each day. Strive for a perfect week, one day at a time.

Get excited about getting into the best shape of your life, THIS YEAR, just in time for the summer!

Good luck!

-Steve
SteveYu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #11  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

I wanted to add a little something after further reflection. You have to be ready mentally. Losing weight is as much a mental battle as it is a physical one.

I think it was Charles (who has lost 300+ lbs!) who says, it's not about willpower. It's about willingness. Are you willing to give up the junk? Willing to exercise? What do you want more, the cookie or the [insert goal size here] pair of jeans? I ask that question (sometimes outloud!) everytime I feel tempted.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 AM   #12  
Cruisin' for a Losin'

S/C/G: 278/249/170

Height: 5'9"

Trying to find the motivation is really really hard. If you can't find it within yourself offer yourself rewards or even "bribes" right now I am working toward a pedicure. 15 lbs (I am already down 3) Than a massage will cost me 20 more for a total of 35.

I have heard of people "investing" in thier weightloss. Put a quarter in a jar everytime you drink a glass of water, a dollar everytime you work out or lose a lb. Eat right all day is 50 cents. You can watch the money go up, and you have some saving for that "svelt new you wardrobe."

Mari
Chestnutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/166/135

Height: 5'7"

I want to echo all of the ideas that have already been mentioned. I think you will be amazed at what 30 minutes of exercise will do for how you feel. Cutting out soda will also make a big difference. And of course, good luck! You can do it.
LittleElectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #14  
kris

i appreciate all the advice, i am going to start walking today (30 mintues, i hope) and i have cut out the soda. im hoping to lose around 50 pounds in the next 6 months. i hardly have anytime to do much else, so im hoping the treadmill will help. maybe after the first 10 pounds or so i can change a few more things in my lifestyle that will help too.