Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #1  

Default Just go away!!

hehe, not referring to all the lovely women here, that is.... no, I'm talking about CRAVINGS. Sorry, this will be long but theraputic, for me... a big thank you for anyone who reads or has support!

See, one day when I somehow got it into my head to make a proper go of this healthier lifestyle, I managed to start it cold turkey.

This is an amazing thing for me. When I was 13-17, I would eat 250g of chips a day. EVERY DAY. Nobody in my family ever knew that I ate like that and would wash it down with some fast food or lollies. When I went overseas for a year, I fooled myself into thinking I was 'healthier', I had kicked the habit of binging! Wooo! Well actually, all I did was replace the chips and KFC with chocolate (how good Germany is for that!), pizza, pastries and cheesey toast. I think I had the mentality, "calories from food other than the food I love most (ie. chips) don't really count... it's progress..."

Since I moved back home, I got back into my old bad binging way of life, although I swore to myself that I will NEVER get back into eating chips again. Because seriously, I will not stop at one, or one packet, or three packets. And I know if I fall into that binge cycle again, I will never get out of it. So basically for the past few months, I went cold turkey on the chips and ate more fast food and chocolate...

Which brings me up to a few weeks ago, when I had the urge to go cold turkey on those and make steps towards a healthier lifestyle. For someone who had not exercised for the last 3 years and had not had ONE day without a junk food binge in the past FIVE years, this was really impressive! I told myself, "give it three weeks to make some better lifestyle changes. No fast food. No lollies, chocolate or chips. Low fat, moderate portions, count calories and exercise for a minimum of half an hour a day... you owe your body that much! Just try it!"

The problem is, as day 21 approaches... I don't feel massively different. Sure, I am proud of how it's gone, that I haven't slipped up once - especially since it was over the Christmas period! But I feel like I'm gearing up for a binge at the end. Sometimes all I can think about is chocolate or pizza. I just don't want to have that even in moderation because it won't be enough and I will binge and slip into my old ways. And it would probably be months of binging before I even thought about starting again.

So basically... I wanted to know if anyone else had any similar experiences? Especially anyone who went cold turkey with something, how long before you -really- stopped having cravings? How long before you seriously enjoyed all the healthy food that you swapped over to and liked that even more than your old vices?
senorita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 260/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I gave up Dr. Pepper and all sweets basically cold turkey. After a while even though I would want one when I had any of it the drinks and the sweets were too sweet for me to even eat. I've never binged so I can't tell you about that but I can tell you that the cravings will get better and easier in time. Don't give up just keep on going.
wannabsexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #3  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm really not one to talk since I have made minimal progress, but I can report that I have (so far) given up my Sunchips craving!!!

my sis brings the one serving size pack from work and everytime she does (minimum 2) I would binge and eat almost all, saving just one for her. Then I decided "It's not WORTH those 200 calories" because for those same 200 calories, I could have 2 tbsp of PB, my favorite food, or 4 apples or a good sized salad! When I started putting it into perspective, it started to make to sense to drop the chips. They're still on the fridge - 2 weeks and counting! I can honestly say that yes, I do want to eat them when I come home from work and I'm starving. But now, I've channeled that hunger to either doing something (reading these boards), dancing to music or eating apples/bananas/1/2 cup raisins etc. I think substituting either activities or healthy, yummy foods will get you out of it and you won't feel the pull as much. Give yourself more time. 3 weeks is a GREAT start, but to expect 3 weeks to overcome a lifetime habit is a little much to expect of yourself. I don't mean to bring you down, I admire you for going the 3 week stretch...what I'm trying to say is be a little more patient with yourself. You've already crossed the hardest barrier (in my opinion), the first stages of withdrawal.

Good luck!
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote