Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #1  
Releasing the inner hiker

Default Fat Studies 101

There is an article in today's New York Times regarding the development of new courses in which the political and social ramifications of being fat are studied. Fat scholars liken the courses to those taught about women's studies or ethnic studies.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/fa...?ref=education
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:17 PM   #2  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

This is a very interesting article, thanks for sharing it. I don't really know what I think about it. Some very interesting points are brought up.

Being fat is not something I'm interested in being empowered by, personally. It's not something I ever want to embrace or celebrate. Plus, the idea of it being equated with issues of race, ethnicity, or gender isn't something I'm totally comfortable with. Is that only because I've been socialized to hate it? Maybe, maybe not. It's a very interesting controversy.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:55 PM   #3  
Releasing the inner hiker

I have quite a few issues with this article.

First, many professors lament the reading, writing, and math skills that high school students bring with them to college. I would hope these courses are not substituting for actual content-rich courses. Or are colleges only offering them to encourage kids to choose their universities (hence more money for them) and not about the more loftier goal of a more educated society?

Second (speaking of money), tuition keeps rising, making college less and less affordable to middle-class (or lower) families. This is what they are using their newly acquired income on? Paying salaries for these speciality teachers?

Third, there is a conspiracy by scientists to make obesity appear worse than it is? Really? What exactly is the pay-off for scientists to do this? Why wouldn't scientists and doctors want the populace to be healthier?

Finally, I have the same opinion as you, futuresurferchick. Having self-esteem at any size should be encouraged, as people shouldn't wait for their life to start once they are thin. However, I have a problem with encouraging obesity. I feel sorry for kids that are overweight, because I know the uphill battle and problems they face. I wouldn't endorse this behavior in kids, just like I wouldn't advocate for it in adults. And equating fat studies with women or ethnic studies is ludicrious.

Ahem. This article riled me up. I would love to hear other viewpoints on it.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 08:53 AM   #4  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Being fat is not something I'm interested in being empowered by, personally. It's not something I ever want to embrace or celebrate.
Ugh, same here. I'm not proud of being fat, the same way I am of being a woman or having of Scot-Irish heritage. I don't feel any heritage towards my fat and unhealthiness. I do know that I'll feel empowered as **** by being healthy and leading a long, productive life!

Last edited by KnitALisa; 12-15-2006 at 09:03 AM.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote