Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 / 180/ 160

Height: 5'8"

Default size: 00 clothing - yes, that's a double zero...

this is an EXTREMELY interesting article on clothing sizes and how many designers are going to start going into the NEGATIVES for clothing sizes for women such as Nicole Richey (well, she's more like a lollypop with a head)...Eva Longoria, Victoria Beckham (again, another lollypop)...

but asides from the 00 clothing, it also mentions vanity sizing and how a normal size "6" woman today is really a "14"...

very interesting. i mean, i've been using vanity sizing now for the longest time and i'm in a 12. so - does that HONESTLY mean i'm REALLY in an 18 or a 20?

that scares the crap out of me - even though our size honestly SHOULDN'T "determine" anything about us - c'mon - admit it - if ya'll knew what "size" you REALLY "were"...ya'll would be angry too...course, part of me wishes - honestly that we had sizes like mens. for example - my waist is 35" around. why can't i wear a size 35? ya know?

anyways - here's the link. i'd like to hear your guys' opinions...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15319430/site/newsweek/
Indychick829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

I wish sizing was more "real" I do admit I like being in a 10 instead of 14 or 16 but really then the size 00s would be bigger too so it would all even out. It is sad when tey are going to start making 'negative' clothing just to suit egos. Why can't sizes be uviversal so no matter what or where you buy you do not have to take 5 pants or shirts with you just to find a size.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 130/103/107

Height: 5'3"

I wish they would put accurate sizes on clothes. I have seen a size 2 that really should of been marked a size 8. Size 4 that should of been marked a size 12. Very common.
LittlePaperStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

It may just be me, but I notice the vanity sizing much more in pants than in shirts or dresses. I don't have to worry about ever needing those negative sizes and that is fine by me. I can go to most any store and get jeans that are a size 4 or 5 that fit just fine. But, my 2 most recent dresses were a size 10 and 12 and that is most likely a true size for me.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'5"

I know that in my closet I have one pair of two pants that fit, three pairs of fours, and two pairs of sixes that fit. What I love, is one pair of twos, a pair of fours, and a pair of sixes are the same brand! Can't even go in to a store and buy a pair of pants that are a brand you have!
I have a hard time with dressed because my breasts are very large compared to the rest of me (32-34DDD...yes they make bras that size, and yes they are hard to find), so I usually have to buy a dress for them and get the waist and length altered.
bride2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:12 PM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I bought 2 pr. Levis capris identical style just different colors and one is tighter than the other. Same with American Eagle, 2 pr. of same size and style of jeans, one darker blue than the other, and one is tighter than the other.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:58 AM   #7  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride2bethin View Post
I know that in my closet I have one pair of two pants that fit, three pairs of fours, and two pairs of sixes that fit. What I love, is one pair of twos, a pair of fours, and a pair of sixes are the same brand! Can't even go in to a store and buy a pair of pants that are a brand you have!
I have a hard time with dressed because my breasts are very large compared to the rest of me (32-34DDD...yes they make bras that size, and yes they are hard to find), so I usually have to buy a dress for them and get the waist and length altered.
*sigh* try finding a dress that fits right off the rack with a 36F (which, btw is even harder to find, and costs 2-3 times as much) It seems like north american companies, and north american women don't embrace their bodies like european women/companies do, and as soon as you get past D here, you have to resort to awful granny bras most of the time. No offence to my grandma, but I'm young, and while I don't have the goods, on display I like a bit of a V-neck, but I will not steal the thread with a bra rant

Clothes sizing is so frustrating.... Especially where I am now, just getting to that nasty border between plus sizes and regular.... and this is a similar complaint, regular sized clothes for young women tend to be sized smaller, and be made for the "young" figure, which means small hips, small chest. Inevitably, I will hit a point where plus sizes will be too big on me, but regular sized clothes for someone of my age will be too small (particularly for certain body parts). I don't really care what size I am (although, I must admit, being able to say I wear a size that is a single digit would be super cool), I really just want clothes that fit, and as much as I like shopping, I do not want to try 50 things on to get 3 items out of the deal. I think we place a little to much importance on sizes, and would love to have standardized sizes.
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:11 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'5"

You really would think someone would take the larger-cup pretty bra market by storm! I don't think I've even seen an F except in maybe one store, and I know that there are plenty of women out there who have larger breasts (at least in my family ). I think it is all part of America not always being about big or small but about being the norm and anything outside the norm is not going to be easy to find. My best friend is 6'1" tall and wears a size 14 shoe. She can't find pants for her height that aren't to big, and typically has to spend a fortune custom ordering shoes or wearing men's.
Also there is the thing that wearing a smaller size means that you are pretty lean. I have a pretty high body fat composition, though I can't remember the exact number, even though I am pretty small, size wise, and clothes are designed for that. Don't get me wrong, I actually really like my body but am pretty much trying to be healthier. I have hips, I have thighs, and I have boobs. You are right, these things often are not accomedated for. Larger falls off, but I don't always find stuff that actually fits me to be flattering.
Congratulations on your loss and I hope that you are able to find luck in the clothing department with clothes that make you feel sexy and beautiful and your age!!!!!!
Standardized size would be awesome. As would pants like they make for men with invisible extendable waists. Women bloat for pete's sake!
bride2bethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/162/120

Height: 5'7"

I don't like the female sizes either. I'm the Jr's dept i'm a size 11 (jeans) but in the womens dept i can fit into ALOT smaller sizes. I think the Jr's dept is more true when it comes to sizes.
AmberNichole1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #10  

I think Jr. clothes are smaller because they pretty much meant for preteens and teens, so if we have a more "adult woman" body type, we would need to go up in size in those clothes -- at least i do
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/162/120

Height: 5'7"

but jrs only go to size 13 i think. I always refused to go over the womens dept though, it all looks like clothes my mom would wear lol
AmberNichole1983 is offline   Reply With Quote