Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/207.6/135

Default Weight GAIN linked to lack of sleep

Just thought I'd share this article I found on WebMD (sorry for the typo. the first time i typed the headline i put weight loss instead of weight gain.)
May 23, 2006 -- Skimping on sleep may mean greater weight gain for women.

That's the finding of a study presented in San Diego at the American Thoracic Society's International Conference.

Data came from 68,183 healthy women who took part in the Nurses' Health Study. The Nurses' Health study started in 1976, when women were 30-55 years old.

In 1986, the women reported how much sleep they usually got per night. They reported their weight every two years for the next 16 years.

Women who reported sleeping five or six hours per night gained more weight than those who got seven hours of nightly sleep, the study shows. The researchers included Sanjay Patel, MD, of Cleveland's Case Western Reserve University.

Other studies have also linked a good night's sleep to lighter bodies. But it's not always clear which comes first -- healthy sleep habits or weight gain -- or if people who get plenty of sleep at night have other factors that keep their weight lower.

Bumping Up Weight Gain

Over 16 years, women who reported sleeping five hours or less per night gained about 2.3 more pounds than those who slept seven hours per night. During the same period, women who got six hours of nightly sleep gained 1.5 more pounds than those who slept an extra hour per night.

Major weight gain -- about 33 pounds, in this case -- was most common among women who reported sleeping five hours per night. Next came the six-hours-per-night group.

What kept those women awake? Did their sleep habits change over time? How do sleep shortfalls affect women's weight? Do the results apply to men?

The study doesn't answer those questions. But the researchers adjusted for factors including the women's age, BMI (body mass index) in 1986, physical activity, and dietary behaviors.

"Short sleep duration is an independent predictor of future weight gain and incident obesity," write Patel and colleagues in their study's abstract. "Further research is needed to understand the mechanisms by which sleep duration may affect weight."

Last edited by Jordan1975; 05-25-2006 at 04:58 PM. Reason: type
Jordan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:04 PM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I read this article earlier this week..

I was thinking that getting plenty of sleep promotes healthy weight.. then I realized that I sleep better when I exercise... so maybe it is a lot more complex. Like exercise and healthy diet promote a healthy amount of sleep. Or a healthy amount of sleep allows one to exercise and thus eat better.

I get dizzy thinking about which comes first. It is like a cycle that has no beginning. I know one thing for sure.. I need these things for weight control:

plenty of sleep
plenty of exercise
plenty of healthy foods
plenty of water
plenty of pleasant stress free days
plenty of support
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:12 PM   #3  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

So-the title of the post should probably read Weight GAIN linked to lack of sleep . . .
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:11 PM   #4  
Hoping for Healthy

Healthy habits make for healthy weight loss! More reason for an extra minute or two of beauty sleep.
teatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 07:00 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
I know one thing for sure.. I need these things for weight control:

plenty of sleep
plenty of exercise
plenty of healthy foods
plenty of water
plenty of pleasant stress free days
plenty of support
Yes, that's me too!

Thanks for posting the article, Jordan. The Nurses' Health Study is such a good one, always producing interesting stuff.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 219/207.6/135

yep. i tried to fix it, but i ended up just saying "sorry" in the actual post.
Jordan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:46 AM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good article. I fixed the title for you. (I wonder if the old title got a lot of reading from insomniacs wondering why they weren't losing. )
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:07 PM   #8  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx
Good article. I fixed the title for you. (I wonder if the old title got a lot of reading from insomniacs wondering why they weren't losing. )
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:57 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

LOL I always HATE to see articles like this since I do NOT like to sleep and actually do very little of it. <GGG>
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #10  
Proud Army Mom!

S/C/G: 202/185/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
LOL I always HATE to see articles like this since I do NOT like to sleep and actually do very little of it. <GGG>

I am the exact same way! I don't like to sleep either, i always feel like there's other stuff i could be doing. almost like a baby who won't sleep because their afraid they'll miss something, and fight it. however, once i GO to sleep, then I dont want to get up when its time, but sometimes that's because i stayed up so late. even on weekends when I CAN sleep in, i'm up at 8:00am at the very latest. Any longer than that, and i feel like i waisted the day.
mel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

After I got my CPAP machine for sleep apnea (basicallly blows air into your nose), I lost my first 15 lbs with no effort whatsoever. I didn't notice any change in habits except better sleeping. Then when I had to leave my job, I lost another 15 (although I was getting even better and more sleep, I probably can attribute the loss just from not eating out of the snack machine). The next 15 lbs where alot harder because I had to work for them, but I can say that I have never before lost weight without trying, so it was a very awesome experience for me.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #12  
Rose

S/C/G: 156/150/135

Hi, this is so true for me, I notice if I am up a lot with the kids (sickness or whatever), I tend to eat more during the day to try and keep my energy level up and I tend to crave sweets more for that instant uplight. I envy people that can funtion on less than 8 hours of sleep.
Rose2 is offline   Reply With Quote