Dr. Phil and 700 Pound Woman

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • oo! Thanks for the reminder! Just switched the channel!
  • I thought it was very good. Argh those kids of hers and the mother of that 14 year old girl!

I hope Dee Dee makes it! I didn't feel it was exploitative but she seemed to me to be desperate enough that she was willing to do anything to get the help she needs; sure hope so!!

And I wanted to SLUG the mother of that poor kid whose mother feeds her nothing but fast food and won't say no to her.
  • I was worried that Dr. Phil would just be bashing her but it turned out okay.
    I can understand the spider bite and the swelling of her leg but she did admit that she had a weight problem before that. It just seemed a vicious cycle of her accepting that she was house bound and getting everyone to wait hand and foot on her, her kids resenting her but enabling her at the same time. But Dee Dee did seem to want to take responsibility and action.

I'm glad Dr. Phil is getting counseling and help from nutrionists and fitness experts to help all three of them. I really hope she gets healthy for her sake and for her family's. When he talked about her decrease in life expectancy and her daughter talked about her mom not being around that was very sad and a good wake up call for people.

I think the mom of the 14 year old has a hard time because she works 60-70 hrs per week - that is a lot of time away from the house and sometimes you don't have a choice if you are struggling to make ends meet. I suspect that the girl is lonely too being at home by herself and is an emotional eater. Poor thing - you just wanted to give her a hug. They both need to learn to eat healthier make better choices.
  • I finally finished watching it this morning! I was actually impressed with how it was all handled!

I think that this woman truly was reaching out for help and trying to better her problems. I felt so poorly for her kids, because they are headed in the same direction if they didn't get help SOON! But I am glad that they are getting help that they really need.

As for the 14 year old. I think her mom was so busy trying to provide for her daughter and make her life as easy and pleasent as possible that she didn't truly realize how much damage she was doing!
  • As someone who LOVES Dr Phil, I gotta say...he doesnt "bash" anyone really. He's had some real (how do I say this nicely?) jerks on the show and he still talks to them in an intelligent way and yes sometimes he's gotta put them in their place (for instance the guy who treated his wife like dirt). but its always always about getting them help, his number one rule however is that they've gotta want help. And he doesnt take excuses at all. Thats what I love about him, he tells it like he sees it. Cant fix things if you cant get real. That comes off harsh to some people but thats what it takes sometimes. Coddling isnt going to get people to see the error of their ways.

As far as any weightloss shows he's done he has always approached it from a total package...mental and physical. His book is based on that. The people always get full medical workovers and counselling.

Anyway just my two cents on Dr. Phil
  • Hi all.

I like Dr. Phil, but I don't always agree with everything he says. I purchased his book about weightloss and read it, it really didn't "knock me over" so to speak, but it was okay.

I also wanted to see this about the lady. I missed it though.

I just hope the lady gets the helps she needs without a lot of ridicule.
  • Melissa - I agree, Dr. Phil always helps with mental, physical and emotional plans when helping with weight loss.
  • I think it's important to remember that the primary point of Dr. Phil's show is entertainment. Many therapists would consider what he is doing unethical, because the needs of the person cannot be taken into account in such a short time. But it's on the air, because the American public eats it up, and people are willing to expose themselves (more intimately than taking their clothes off) for the chance to be on television.

If the people really wanted help, they would have had an easier time finding it in their home communities than on the chance of getting on Dr. Phil.

As pointed out, some people need a kick in the pants, and others need a compassionate listener, in order to help them get their lives together. But it is a big assumption to think that Dr. Phil can determine what the person needs within a few minutes, or even hours of meeting them. Also, these people sign releases, so that Dr. Phil and the show are not held responsible for any negative consequences of the show. I'm not sure that people going on the show realize how exposing their lives on television will affect their lives. Can you imagine the reactions of friends and neighbors after seeing the show? The mail and phone calls the family will get because of their appearance? I understand they're willing participants, but what about their family members who didn't ask to be put in the spotlight, but nevertheless will be affected by it.

Although I do sometimes watch these shows too, it is kind of sick that we have such morbid curiosity about other people's lives.
  • Quote: If the people really wanted help, they would have had an easier time finding it in their home communities than on the chance of getting on Dr. Phil.
    Unfortunately I am not sure that is necessarily the case, though it certainly should be. Especially in situations with morbidly obese, etc. I've never been anywhere close to 700 pounds... but I HAVE been (still am) fat, and I have been skinny... and there is a HUGE difference in the way I am treated socially between the two. There are really only two groups that it is still acceptable to discriminate against in America... fat people being one of them. Curious as to what help you think would be available for a 700 pound woman in her own community...??? Personally I doubt if she would receive much compassion or help.
  • I know its not the case with all shows but I find alot of content on Dr. Phil to be educational and helpful in dealing with my own life. Especially in marriage and raising children. Thats why these stories and people are put on the show. There are tons of times when I think "why on earth would these people be on the show" but theres always something that can come out of it.

I totally agree with Misti on this. I think asking Dr. Phil for help was courageous of this woman and what may just get her healthy. Yes it puts her story out there but also shows other 700 lb people that life is not hopeless. I cant wait to see the followup on DeeDee, I hope she's doing great!
  • Quote: I think it's important to remember that the primary point of Dr. Phil's show is entertainment. Many therapists would consider what he is doing unethical, because the needs of the person cannot be taken into account in such a short time. But it's on the air, because the American public eats it up, and people are willing to expose themselves (more intimately than taking their clothes off) for the chance to be on television.

If the people really wanted help, they would have had an easier time finding it in their home communities than on the chance of getting on Dr. Phil.
    I totally agree. Someone who reaches such a high weight needs more help than she can get on a TV program. She would definitely be better off getting counseling in her home town.

It's a shame people like her are exploited for the sake of people's curiosity - kind of like the old days when they had circus sideshows - except these days it's done with the dubious claim that they want to help these poor souls.
  • 700 lb Woman
    I watched the show last week and there might have been a spider invloved but she weighted 700 lbs because her life revolved around food. It was so sad. Her bed was actually the dining room table where she ate with her kids. She manipulated them into bringing her food all day long.

There's so much good advise and support on these boards......maybe she'll find them on day.