3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Loss News and Current Events

Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

You might never eat corn again.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #16

S/C/G: 163/131/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Actually it isn't bacterias/viruses that are spliced, at least not harmful bacteria but they are used due to their simple form of DNA and DNA replication. It is a bit complicated to explain but prokaryotic cells are used (and bacteria are a form of prokaryotes, not viruses). Eukaryotes (most non-microscopic life forms) have a lot of junk in their DNA, a large part of which does absolutely nothing. Prokaryotes are much simple and don't have this junk so they are used in gene splicing. Using prokaryotes, scientists are able to insert DNA and have that DNA replicated due to the simplicity of their DNA. The only DNA that is spliced into food products is the specific section created, none of the host DNA is spliced in.
Quote" Layla Parker-Katiraee holds a PhD in Molecular Genetics from the University of Toronto and a Bachelors degree in biochemistry from the University of Western Ontario. She is currently a Senior Scientist in Product Development at a California biotech company. All views and opinions expressed are her own. "

Her article explaining how E. Coli is used for gene splicing - she works for a biotech co. so I'd probably take her word for the fact that bacteria IS used to splice genes.
http://www.biofortified.org/2014/03/e-coli-in-gmos/

I think it's funny that just because we don't know what certain protein chains in the DNA are used for we think it's junk; you know, like tonsils were junk not very many years ago...

At goal or below since March 5, 2014
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #17

S/C/G: 415/346/160

Height: 5'9"

GMO corn in the U.S. goes to ethanol and animal feed. It's really hard to find sweet corn that has tested positive for GMO proteins. I don't eat cheap processed foods regularly which are the real sources of GMO proteins in the human diet (and of course meat). So I won't be giving up eat fresh sweet corn this summer- yet.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #18

S/C/G: 245/signature/135

Height: 5'5"

I've been trying to avoid GMOs all together, which wipes out pretty much all processed food, unless listed organic. I also follow the organic list on the dirty dozen vs. the clean 15. Other than that I sign every petition out there on labeling gmo foods. If they want to grow it, and use it, that's their business, but I have a right to know what's put in my body.
Donna34747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #19
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
Quote" Layla Parker-Katiraee holds a PhD in Molecular Genetics from the University of Toronto and a Bachelors degree in biochemistry from the University of Western Ontario. She is currently a Senior Scientist in Product Development at a California biotech company. All views and opinions expressed are her own. "

Her article explaining how E. Coli is used for gene splicing - she works for a biotech co. so I'd probably take her word for the fact that bacteria IS used to splice genes.
http://www.biofortified.org/2014/03/e-coli-in-gmos/

I think it's funny that just because we don't know what certain protein chains in the DNA are used for we think it's junk; you know, like tonsils were junk not very many years ago...
E. Coil is used but it isn't the same E. coli that can harm humans. In terms of eukaryotic DNA, research has shown that DNA replication skips over genes and they aren't used. The skipping of genes is why splicing eukaryotic DNA is difficult.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.