3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Loss News and Current Events

Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Catalyst documentary on saturated fat

Old 03-24-2014, 10:22 PM   #1

Default Catalyst documentary on saturated fat

This was recommended to me by Dr. Ann Childers who works in Oregon. She uses it to educate her patients on saturated fat. Very well done.

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/3876219.htm

Restart: May 1, 2013 at 285. HW 340
diamondgeog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #2

S/C/G: 168/158/125

Height: 5'2"

Interesting - this article is a good discussion on the subject, but took me a bit to get through it, because of the format. (I generally absorb info better in bullets but then, I'm kinda lazy with my reading)

If you don't mine me sharing, while we're on the subject, there have been several new articles about saturated fat this week, for example:

http://bretcontreras.com/saturated-fat-good-or-bad/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle17540227/

Last edited by Defining : 03-24-2014 at 10:44 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the links. This link I am going to share deserves its own thread. It is making a big stir in Britain.

In 2010 a meta study of 348,000 people showed no link between satuarted fat and heart disease. Now a study a couple of weeks old of over 600,000 people showed the same results.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...foods-is-wrong

This kind of summarizes the 'sea change' I see happening in dietary advice. Too many media sources, too many doctors, like the ones in the first link in this thread, willing to speak out. These doctors and peer to peer sources are concerned with health not maximizing food profits, or benefiting frankly from hospital visits and expensive medicines.

That is why the sea change is happening. And thank goodness. I hope millions regain their health and vitality.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Nice article from the Guardian/Observer. Joanna Blythman, the author, has been writing about real food for years.

ETA that Zoe Harcombe who Joanna quotes in the article has a less good pedigree. Some people say she is another "Dr Gillian McKeith PhD", widely thought to be a charlatan.

Last edited by silverbirch : 03-25-2014 at 09:09 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I don't believe the science.

My life has been transformed from switching from saturated fats to omega 3s.

They are comparing the wrong fats. Put saturated fats head-to-head against omega 3s, not just all polyunsaturated.

Running because of Diana
Believing because of Sue
Elvis lives!
Getting fashion advice from Sum
ReillyJ and Carpediem saved my knees!
Don't believe the hype. EAT MORE FISH.

Last edited by IanG : 03-25-2014 at 10:53 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #6

I don't know your entire eating and exercise Ian but I would be very cautious about atribtuing any previous conditions to saturated fat as a main culprit. At least depending upon sources.

Yes omega 3s are good, omegas 6s are bad. At least for how many people have nowadays. Coconut oil is 92% saturated fat, 2% omega 6. I started using it in January. Jan 2nd I was 232 I am 201 now. Even better rate than previous 50 pound lost. And I am getting stronger and fitter. They have been spectacular for my health and well being.

I am also using much more grass fed butter. Butterfat is 3% omega 6. Butter has a TON of fantastic health qualities. Now if my source of saturated fats were poor quality processed meats, processed foods, then yes it is the processing that will know you.

But organic virgin coconut oil and grass fed butter are not only good foods, they are super foods in my book. And study after study shows no linkage between saturated fat and heart attacks.

Of interest to me is people starting to look at grass fed butter or in other words high quality saturated fats and heart disease. Heart attacks are going down in Sweden and they were a little ahead of the curve in ditching margarine for butter. I think we are going to find that good quality saturated fats are very protective of heart health and health overall.

I also eat fish and use flax seed oil for dressing, it is awesome. So I am on board with omega 3s and being very aware of not too much omega 6s.

Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.