Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #1  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Default University of California Official Obesity Study Results

I just watched this yesterday - twice. It is super informative. There is a paradigm shift occurring in the medical community regarding obesity and weight loss.

This one hour video explains in laymen's terms the latest University of California research on obesity and related health issues. It's seriously HUGE news; it challenges the prevailing nutritional dogma about fat and weight loss and makes new recommendations for how to lose weight.

It's long (about one hour) but it could save your life. Everyone everywhere should watch this.

University of California television: The Complete Skinny on Obesity

http://www.uctv.tv/shows/The-Complet...-Obesity-25717
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm so glad they're finally coming around. The energy balance arguments are really non-sequitur to the bigger issue of what is driving said imbalance and improper energy partitioning. The data set never actually indicated that dietary fat causes obesity and we all got subjected to a massive,uncontrolled experiment of that hypothesis - with only more obesity and disease to show for it.

I haven't seen that specific video but I'll watch it later today when I have time. I'm noticing it is Dr. Lustig - he has a habit of oversimplifying the data recommendations because of the type of practice he runs, but has done excellent clinical work and has many healthier children coming out of his department for his efforts

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 01-07-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #3  
diamondgeog

Thanks for the link. I thought about what was happening to me and everything revolved around carbs for me personally. I could eat endless carbs, they made me constantly hungry.

I have reduced them and cut out virtually all together bread and pasta. I even take croutons off now at restaurants.

After looking at a number of recent articles I added coconut oil to my diet. I personally like intense cheese and it is super flavor filled, more than any potato chip, and a little fills me up.

Clearly, to me at least, the fat is the problem hypothesis was a disaster in the U.S. Heart disease, diabetes, and obesity all went UP when Americans started doing this and cutting their fat.

It doesn't take a Ph.D. to say hey we need to reevaluate this. Just common sense. That being said, it is more than one thing but glad UC is on board now and thanks again for the link.

And a calorie is a calorie argument really frustrates me. If carbs were making me hungrier than..no it wasn't just that calorie, it was all the other calories that it led to. And if all the carb calories were messing up my metabolism and spiking my insulin and then having the bulk of those calories stored as fat then no they were not just like any other calories.

Doing the coconut for about a week and feel awesome. It is REALLY feeling and yummy and versatile. I hate to put too much in short term stuff but down 3-4 pounds this week.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-07-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #4  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
And a calorie is a calorie argument really frustrates me. If carbs were making me hungrier than..no it wasn't just that calorie, it was all the other calories that it led to. And if all the carb calories were messing up my metabolism and spiking my insulin and then having the bulk of those calories stored as fat then no they were not just like any other calories.
He specifically says at one point in the video, "A calorie is NOT a calorie."

We need more experts saying this. Make it go viral!
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I've used a low carb/higher (good) fat diet since finding out I was a diabetic in June. My fasting blood sugar is now around 90 and my bs after a meal doesn't rise above 140 most days. I also went wheat free and have seen a huge difference in my stomach fat.

My doctor was clueless about low carb diets, or eating to your meter, or in general anything beyond, "You should lose weight" (duh) and "test every once in a while." I pay for most of my own test strips because I was prescribed one a day.
I hope that doctors will take actually helping people to lose weight seriously but considering they don't seem to take chronic illness very seriously so I'm not convinced this study will make a difference. I have a friend who was told not eat so much sugar and that 180 is an alright number. She had a heart attack right before Christmas!
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Great video! I shared it on fb
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:37 PM   #7  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

Commenting to remind myself to watch this video when I have time. Looking forward to it.
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote