3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Loss News and Current Events

Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

TED Talk about obesity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Wannabeskinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,494

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default TED Talk about obesity

Stunning talk about obesity by Dr. Peter Attia.

http://www.ted.com/talks/peter_attia...aign=ios-share
__________________


Fat isn't a feeling

"Food is not the enemy. Hunger is a sign of life and vitality." - Caroline Haagen from The F- it Diet
Wannabeskinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jacqui_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,907

S/C/G: 211/168/145

Height: 5'8"

Default

Wow! I am very impressed with this video. Thank you for posting it!
__________________
Current Attempt (Slow Carb Diet, started July 19, 2013) <> Previous Attempt (Calorie-Counting, 2009)

= 10 lbs lost; = 5 lbs lost:
MINI GOALS:
1. 196 lbs = "Overweight" BMI of 29.8 MET GOAL!!
2. 178 lbs = Lowest Weight in 13 years, BMI of 27.1 MET GOAL!!
3. 164 lbs = "Normal Weight" BMI of 24.9
4. 145 lbs = Goal Weight BMI of 22.0
MAINTENANCE GOAL:
Stay between 145 lbs and 155 lbs
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
diamondgeog
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Thanks. That was a great talk. This has been my most successful weight loss and I had come to the same conclusions. Carbs were my problem and I was getting very insulin resistant.

Where I differ is for me whole grains are still a big problem. We were eating whole grain bread and pasta for years. Cutting those out make a big difference. Eating carbs was making me more hungry, lethargic, on the way to very sick.

The obesity was a result of insulin resistance in many ways. But that insulin resistance was happening because of my diet choices. So you get to the same starting point in many ways. But still VERY important because we can focus on what diets lead to insulin resistance. I think clearly then high carbs, even unrefined, should and hopefully will become the focus.

Thankfully your body's very metabolism CAN change. You can go from carb storage to carb usage. Carb counters is great here. I posted about it. Mark's Daily Apple is a wonderful site. He markets it as plaeo but really the heart of it is all about carbs.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 11-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
diamondgeog
 
Posts: n/a

Default

I started this weight loss journey by googling info. I remember putting in why am I so hungry after fast food. Tired in the afternoon. So lethargic. Well does were three separate searches.

But they all triangulated to carbs. ALL. My body, bloodwork, diet, huge gut, lethargy, all carbs. For me. Might be different for others. So why so many Americans are insulin resistant is huge. And I am squarely on high carb diets as a big or the biggest culprit.

Last edited by diamondgeog : 11-19-2013 at 10:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #5
One day at a time!
 
time2lose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The deep south
Posts: 4,368

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default

Interesting lecture. Thanks for posting!
__________________
Cheryl



Persistence is more important than Perfection

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jacqui_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,907

S/C/G: 211/168/145

Height: 5'8"

Default

I found his blog site. I like it a lot too. http://eatingacademy.com/start-here
__________________
Current Attempt (Slow Carb Diet, started July 19, 2013) <> Previous Attempt (Calorie-Counting, 2009)

= 10 lbs lost; = 5 lbs lost:
MINI GOALS:
1. 196 lbs = "Overweight" BMI of 29.8 MET GOAL!!
2. 178 lbs = Lowest Weight in 13 years, BMI of 27.1 MET GOAL!!
3. 164 lbs = "Normal Weight" BMI of 24.9
4. 145 lbs = Goal Weight BMI of 22.0
MAINTENANCE GOAL:
Stay between 145 lbs and 155 lbs
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Member
 
Jamiemae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34

S/C/G: 212.6/ticker!/119

Height: 4'11''

Default

Thanks for the great resources
Jamiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
diamondgeog
 
Posts: n/a

Default

Found this awesome talk by Jamie Oliver while there.

http://www.ted.com/talks/jamie_oliver.html

Mark Bittman has great one also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
marigrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 811

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Default

Kudos! Thanks for posting. This for me is the heart of the matter.
__________________


My etsy shop :
www.etsy.com/shop/moxiealleysoaps?ref=si_shop
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
yoyoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 1,724

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Thanks for posting the fantastic TED talk. What a powerful, touching ending!
__________________
Hoping to earn the user name NoYoyoMa...


yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
Melissa
 
berryblondeboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,899

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
I started this weight loss journey by googling info. I remember putting in why am I so hungry after fast food. Tired in the afternoon. So lethargic. Well does were three separate searches.

But they all triangulated to carbs. ALL. My body, bloodwork, diet, huge gut, lethargy, all carbs. For me. Might be different for others. So why so many Americans are insulin resistant is huge. And I am squarely on high carb diets as a big or the biggest culprit.
Same for me... and it was eating them again that led to the regain.
__________________
My journey to a healthier lifestyle blog: http://melissaslife42.blogspot.com/



berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:12 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
marigrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 811

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Default

I let myself go from thanksgiving till spring and managed to gain back 20 lbs that I had worked really hard to drop. I did that with brandy and carbs....a really deadly combo. I have been back on track now for about 4 weeks. I feel so much better. I don't know how I can forget how much easier it is when I manage the carbs.
__________________


My etsy shop :
www.etsy.com/shop/moxiealleysoaps?ref=si_shop
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:03 PM   #13
Melissa
 
berryblondeboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,899

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigrace View Post
I let myself go from thanksgiving till spring and managed to gain back 20 lbs that I had worked really hard to drop. I did that with brandy and carbs....a really deadly combo. I have been back on track now for about 4 weeks. I feel so much better. I don't know how I can forget how much easier it is when I manage the carbs.
Things "went to he$$ in a hand-basket" for me when we went to Croatia two summers ago... that was the beginning of the trouble. I was DOING GREAT around that time. But... while there, we walked, hiked, swam daily. BUT... avoiding carbs along the coast especially? IMPOSSIBLE. I had so much bread a that is a staple. When we came back I had gained 20 pounds in a month. Five were water, the rest was actual weight. Now... I hadn't gone totally crazy... a bit crazy, but not CRAZY... and we weren't sitting around all day. We were active!!! and 15 true pounds in a MONTH???

Then, I started to whittle away at that weight... gained during the holidays... whittled away again, but it was going much, much, much slower and I had some injuries keeping me from the gym eventually... By summer, I just "gave up".

I knew it wasn't a permanent "give up" but it was much more than I EVER thought it would be... and so much of that feeling of "ugh" was from eating carbs.

They taste sooooooooo good (the taste for them never went away), but they make me feel so bad! I have got to stay away from them - for good.
__________________
My journey to a healthier lifestyle blog: http://melissaslife42.blogspot.com/



berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #14
Melissa
 
berryblondeboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,899

Height: 5'6.5"

Default

Blogged about it today Wannabeskinny. Thanks for finding it. I've been thinking on this for a couple days.

http://melissaslife42.blogspot.com/2...hts-on-it.html
__________________
My journey to a healthier lifestyle blog: http://melissaslife42.blogspot.com/



berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
pixelllate's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Park Slope, NYC
Posts: 1,141

Height: 5'3.25''

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Things "went to he$$ in a hand-basket" for me when we went to Croatia two summers ago... that was the beginning of the trouble. I was DOING GREAT around that time. But... while there, we walked, hiked, swam daily. BUT... avoiding carbs along the coast especially? IMPOSSIBLE. I had so much bread a that is a staple. When we came back I had gained 20 pounds in a month. Five were water, the rest was actual weight. Now... I hadn't gone totally crazy... a bit crazy, but not CRAZY... and we weren't sitting around all day. We were active!!! and 15 true pounds in a MONTH???

Then, I started to whittle away at that weight... gained during the holidays... whittled away again, but it was going much, much, much slower and I had some injuries keeping me from the gym eventually... By summer, I just "gave up".

I knew it wasn't a permanent "give up" but it was much more than I EVER thought it would be... and so much of that feeling of "ugh" was from eating carbs.

They taste sooooooooo good (the taste for them never went away), but they make me feel so bad! I have got to stay away from them - for good.
Yes. I can have all the knowledge in the world but sometimes, I couldn't care less and my innate desires for feeding take over whatever health/weight goals I have. Lack of knowledge/awareness certainly isn't the issue for most of us lol - Google reveals all. Its just points on life when ya just don't care - even if they are occasional and most of the time I do care, those moments can be frequent enough to derail any progress.
__________________


I listened to my gut and it said "You could do with less of me."

B00ty-Underwear pic as of March 2014 NSFW
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Politics' of weight loss diamondgeog General chatter 25 06-25-2013 05:17 PM
Prevention of Obesity in Children Act beachgal South Beach Diet 17 05-27-2005 01:52 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2