3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Loss News and Current Events

Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Aspartame: Recommended by Nutritionists But It Piles on the Pounds

Old 12-21-2013, 10:12 PM   #16

Height: 5/4

I avoid aspartame,but sometimes I drink orange stevia pop.I was talking to a great aunt and she said she used to constantly drink diet pop,but stopped and switched to regular because it just made her crave sweet stuff.I read in a magazine a few months ago that some studies linking obesity to artificial sweetners are flawed because they only study people who were overweight before they started drinking diet soda,or the people drinking it reward themselves with sweets afterwards.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
Back in the game for good

S/C/G: 283/255/246

My personal experience: artificial sweeteners make me crave real sugar. I can eat one stick of sugar free gum and will have to literally fight the urge to eat a cake. Yes. I don't like them.

LuvMyMr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #18

S/C/G: 180/ticker/139

Height: 5'6.5"

I have heard speculation along the lines that artificial sweeteners jump start the insulin response but that there is no glucose in the blood from the artificial sweeteners and as a result it somehow backfires and results in insulin resistance. I have changed from aspartame and splenda to stevia, but presumably even stevia would have this same drawback. I have tried at various times to cut back on my sweetener, but this is one habit I have not been able to kick. I may need to make it a higher priority, but I can certainly succeed in weight loss using 0-cal sweeteners as a crutch.

yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #19

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

The "sweet tooth" is hardwired into us and all other frugivorous (fruit eating) creatures, which makes it very difficult to quell or modify our preference for sweets.

Eliminating sweets can eliminate or reduce cravings, but they'll usually rebound the moment you break your sweet fast. One bite of cake, or sometimes even sweet fruit, and you're right back were you started or worse.

That's my personal dilemma. I do great until that "one bite won't hurt me," moment. And it's not even cake that does me in, I'm too vigilant for that.

What pulls me back into the sugar trap is the sugar hidden in savory foods, sometimes even in foods that are low-carb overall, but have a sweet component, such as meat with a thin glaze or marinade. Barbecued ribs, for example are a major trigger food for me, even if the sauce is served on the side and I use it sparingly.

David Kessler's book, The End of Overeating, helped me understand my physiological addiction to the swwet/salty/fatty flavor combination, but doing so hasn't lessened the powerful hold the addiction has on my willpower.

I'm a drug addict living in a world and culture where my drug is common and pushed on everyone almost from the time we're born. That we're all born with a genetic potential for the addiction, doesn't make it any easier.

And yet we're told to "suck it up," and expected to not only watch everyone else indulge, we're expected indulge ourselves "in moderation."

For many of us, moderation just isn't possible, but abstinence is not jusy culturally expected, it's virtually mandated. If you don't participate in the group "high" you're often ostracized as a spoil sport.

Imagine giving up heroin in such an environment - if the drug were cheap, omnipresent, and use was not only accepted, but expected.

Artificial sweeteners are my methadone. I am trying to reduce my dependence on addictive sweetness by using artificial sweeteners and gradually reducing the level of sweetness in my food, but I'm very prone to relapse, especially when I feel socially pressured.

I'm not absolving myself of personal responsibility, just acknowledging me weakness in that area. I tend to isolate myself as much as possible, which probably isn't all that healthy - but all my friends and family (even my husband to some degree) are active and frequent users.

In the case of sugar addiction, avoiding the drug culture just isn't remotely possible. Even finding others who acknowledge the addictive potential of sugar is difficult.

As a culture, we sympathize with the difficulty of breaking addiction, even with even with socially accepted habits like caffeine, nicotine, and overspending, but carb and sugar addicts are pressured into using while being told to "suck it up, and use moderation."

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #20
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

The only thing I can add here is that I was experiencing severe migraines that would literally put me in bed and make me so sick. I was actually on prescription meds for migraines when I ran across an article saying that there was a connection between aparteme and migraines. I thought, ok lets see. I totally stopped eating/drinking anything with it in it. I have not had any migraines since. That's been a few years now. Just some food for thought......

1 carrot for every 5 lbs lost / 306 highest know weight / restarted at 281 lbs
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #21

S/C/G: 264.8 / 220.8 / 140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I enjoyed reading all the comments on artificial sweeteners.
I have been trying to do some research on a number of things, including artificial sweeteners all the way to which omega 3 is a good one for me to take. It has been a bit overwhelming trying to figure out which supplements I need.
I haven't figured out how to follow a thread, I thought I read that one day but have forgotten where I saw it. So if anyone responds I do hope I find this topic again.
I know stevia is also processed, I just thought since it was plant derived it was not as bad as the others.
I hope to learn more about how artificial sweeteners affect our insulin response.
Of all the artificial sweeteners out there I try to find products with stevia...example: my flavored protein powder.
I had started out Feb 26, 2014 on a program similar to Ideal Protein, only much more limited products and horrible taste for most of it, not to mention the huge cost. So I have been trying to find my own protein powders and supplements.
When I use up the current supplements that came with this plan, one of the items I will switch to will be chromium picolinate ..... unless there is a better version I am not aware of....to help control the blood sugar cravings thing.

I used to eat sugar several times a day before Feb 26.
I sure do understand the social part of eating, before I never really thought about it. It doesn't matter where I go there is always someone pushing sugary foods at me, I have to just say I am full, or maybe later, and try to change the subject. It certainly isn't easy, but it is worth it.
I don't know if I will ever be able to have a slice of my homemade pie, or other occasional desserts. I am not anywhere near that point so I don't know if it will trigger a major sugar craving, cave-in or binge.
I just keep telling myself that the way I am currently eating might be the way I have to eat for the rest of my life and I will handle it the best way I can.
cleanslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #22

S/C/G: 264.8 / 220.8 / 140

Height: 5' 5.5"

I forgot to add that I don't drink diet pops, never really drank much pop before either, mostly water, the occasional powder (chemical flavored) iced tea.
I also have only eaten out 3 times since I started this new way of eating. I have been trying to eat at home as much as possible, or take food with me if I think I won't be home in time.
cleanslate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:04 PM   #23
❈ one w/ the wind & sky ❈

S/C/G: 360/203/150

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sis View Post
The only thing I can add here is that I was experiencing severe migraines that would literally put me in bed and make me so sick. I was actually on prescription meds for migraines when I ran across an article saying that there was a connection between aparteme and migraines. I thought, ok lets see. I totally stopped eating/drinking anything with it in it. I have not had any migraines since. That's been a few years now. Just some food for thought......
I went through something similar back around 2008. It got so bad that I'd easily spend a week in bed, unable to function. After I made the connection I remembered my father had similar issues with from eating low-calorie mints! I read all labels now and haven't had any migraines since.

I don't seem to have any reaction to any other non-nutritive sweeteners, and am losing weight just fine while occasionally having soda sweetened with either sucralose or stevia. I much prefer that over the roller-coaster that regular soda does to my blood sugar (I'm a former diabetic).
Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #24

S/C/G: 215/baby/130

Height: 5' 6" on a good day

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
The "sweet tooth" is hardwired into us and all other frugivorous (fruit eating) creatures, which makes it very difficult to quell or modify our preference for sweets.

Eliminating sweets can eliminate or reduce cravings, but they'll usually rebound the moment you break your sweet fast. One bite of cake, or sometimes even sweet fruit, and you're right back were you started or worse.

That's my personal dilemma. I do great until that "one bite won't hurt me," moment. And it's not even cake that does me in, I'm too vigilant for that.

What pulls me back into the sugar trap is the sugar hidden in savory foods, sometimes even in foods that are low-carb overall, but have a sweet component, such as meat with a thin glaze or marinade. Barbecued ribs, for example are a major trigger food for me, even if the sauce is served on the side and I use it sparingly.

David Kessler's book, The End of Overeating, helped me understand my physiological addiction to the swwet/salty/fatty flavor combination, but doing so hasn't lessened the powerful hold the addiction has on my willpower.

I'm a drug addict living in a world and culture where my drug is common and pushed on everyone almost from the time we're born. That we're all born with a genetic potential for the addiction, doesn't make it any easier.

And yet we're told to "suck it up," and expected to not only watch everyone else indulge, we're expected indulge ourselves "in moderation."

For many of us, moderation just isn't possible, but abstinence is not jusy culturally expected, it's virtually mandated. If you don't participate in the group "high" you're often ostracized as a spoil sport.

Imagine giving up heroin in such an environment - if the drug were cheap, omnipresent, and use was not only accepted, but expected.

Artificial sweeteners are my methadone. I am trying to reduce my dependence on addictive sweetness by using artificial sweeteners and gradually reducing the level of sweetness in my food, but I'm very prone to relapse, especially when I feel socially pressured.

I'm not absolving myself of personal responsibility, just acknowledging me weakness in that area. I tend to isolate myself as much as possible, which probably isn't all that healthy - but all my friends and family (even my husband to some degree) are active and frequent users.

In the case of sugar addiction, avoiding the drug culture just isn't remotely possible. Even finding others who acknowledge the addictive potential of sugar is difficult.

As a culture, we sympathize with the difficulty of breaking addiction, even with even with socially accepted habits like caffeine, nicotine, and overspending, but carb and sugar addicts are pressured into using while being told to "suck it up, and use moderation."
I loved this whole post. I bolded the parts that I really really really felt rang true, but the whole post is truth. I deal with this in real life. My husband acknowledges sugar's addictive properties, but no one else I know does. When I avoid it, others think I'm obsessed. Even on 3FC some threads have gone the way of "in moderation" is the best way, that somehow abstaining is not good for a dieter mentally or not sustainable over the long haul. But tell an alcoholic that they can and should consume alcohol in moderation, and you will hear a very different response. We have accepted culturally that some people cannot drink in moderation, so why do we not support that with sugar and/or carbs?

2007- 230 lbs to 160 lbs after baby #1
2010- 220 lbs to 145 lbs after baby #2
2013 - 215 lbs to 157 lbs after baby #3

Pregnancy Goal: Stay under 200 lbs
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM   #25
Started IP May 17, 2013

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Someone recently shared insights when commenting on an article, Are You An Abstainer or a Moderater?

With some foods, I am like an alcoholic. I have to be an Abstainer or I just start sliding right down the slippery slope to defeat. To keep the 'management issue' manageable, I try not to think of having to do without the food forever. Instead, I just work at avoiding 'the first bite.' (Learned from my friend who is an alcoholic...instead of focusing on what he says is the weariness of a lifetime without booze, he just works at avoiding the first sip. He says it doesn't seem so daunting. Avoiding one little sip is easier than dealing with 'never'!)

I know what some of my red light foods are. If there is a situation where I'll have to face them and I can't be confident of my capacity to self manage, I completely avoid those situations.

The article is interesting!

Your comments about sugars/carbs are spot on!

w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Last edited by Annik : 04-09-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #26

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I simply do not like any artificial sweeteners because every last one tastes bitter to me. Aspertame, sucralose, stevia - all are completely disgusting to me. My husband uses sweetener in his coffee, and so do my parents, and they are all doing pretty well losing weight, especially my dad and he consumes the most artificial sweetener of us all. I think he probably needs it the same way kaplods described.

First 10% goal (180): MET 2/1/14!!!
Next 10% goal (162):
Next & final 10% goal (145):
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryQuinn View Post
I drink 3-4 diet pepsi a day and put fake sugar in my coffees or baked goods. I don't gain weight because of it . Lol.
I have read other articles about non calorie sweeteners and do agree that your brain puts out the sugar alert, but I don't agree that using sweetners makes one eat more.

I have been drinking diet beverages for decades along with using sweetners in coffee, tea, etc. and have never had any ill effect from them.

In fact while I have a few pounds to lose i really can't imagine what I would weigh if I didn't use them. A 480 calorie 42 oz. coca a cola makes no sense to me when you can get the same for zero calories.

Last edited by Kscott : 04-22-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #28

Height: 5'3.25''

Quote:
You just summed up Panda Express Orange Chicken and McDonald's sweet/sour sauce that you stick on McNuggets right there.

Hm, I love my sweets sugar, but I am actually more bread-grain/blood sugar spike prone rather than the sugar from a cake. However, me being prone to eating and eating bread isn't really just due to some physical addiction - like heroine or something. Its really more a combination of enjoying the experience and being a creature of habit. Its not so strong of a pull where I feel some sort of compulsive itch for my next fix, but instead that desire to do a mindless routine-something that gives me easy pleasure. Have not had any apparent issues yet with aspartame either. I have never felt the pull of a hard drug, like meth or something, but I imagine that it is likely stronger than my glee of coming home to a good hunk of grainy, hearty whole wheat bread and 750gram jar of Nutella - as pleasurable as it is, for me anyways, I know that I don't feel like...a wretched physical pain at the thought of not getting my fix after a few weeks of just being clean and even when I do have a treat, I enjoy it/can feel that blood sugar spike, but its not like...a horrific clench of fists desire.

I listened to my gut and it said "You could do with less of me."

B00ty-Underwear pic as of March 2014 NSFW
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.