3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Weight Loss News and Current Events

Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Weight Bias in Higher Education Admissions

Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #1

S/C/G: 210/174.2/TBD

Height: 5'2

Default Weight Bias in Higher Education Admissions

I don't think I saw this posted anywhere - a study recently found that overweight applicants to graduate programs got offered admission less frequently than those of normal weight when the overweight applicants interviewed in person (but not when they interviewed over the phone);
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...ool-applicants

I am not surprised by that, but it is a bit sad. Where it got interesting was when a professor from U of New Mexico tweeted "Dear obese Ph.D. applicants: if you didnít have the willpower to stop eating carbs, you wonít have the willpower to do a dissertation #truth"
(ouch)

He did get disciplined, which was good to see.
http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...ure-university

All-Time High: 226 lbs. Restart: 1/6/13 at 210 lbs
Step #1: 200 (5%); Step #2: 189 (10%); Step #3: 163 ("overweight" BMI); Step #4: Set Healthy Weight Goal
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle
straightahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: Nearing the home stretch

just goes to show how simple-minded people can be. As though obesity/losing weight is a matter of willpower/willpower only, or as if weight loss is somehow a yardstick for someones potential of success in every other aspect of their lives. Its sad that someone sopresumably relying on the use of their higher faculties for their bread and butter thinks so simplistically in this regard and can make such ignorant passes without so much as a second thought. Such is the nature of prejudice..

I feel for anyone who has ever been denied admission on the basis of anything other than pure academic eligibility.
Back in August 2013, I convinced myself to give my plan a shot until October 31, 2013. I told myself then that, when that date came, I would be grateful I had committed myself to losing weight. Sure enough, when October 31, 2013 came, I was deeply grateful and pleased with my progress. It's been 19 months and over 115 lbs lost, and I remain deeply grateful every day. There are no words to explain how worth it the hard work is.
Reached onederland 31.12.2013!
Became 'overweight' (BMI of 29.7) on July 29, 2014!

belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.