Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #1  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Which Diet Works?

I just happened to come across this article today and I found it interesting, so I'd thought I'd share it here...

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...?smid=pl-share

Let me just say that I had the pleasure of meeting and working with Mark and I found him to possess a level of integrity and authenticity in his approach to food that I truly respected... even though I didn't always agree with his philosophical leanings...

What I find valuable in the piece is that he opens up a discourse that challenges the reader to not only think about what works, but also why it works...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #2  
motivation feeder

I really believe it is individual. He says Atkins got the best results, I haven't tried it yet.
Maybe it's time for a new start.
Amitola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amitola View Post
I really believe it is individual. He says Atkins got the best results, I haven't tried it yet.
Maybe it's time for a new start.
The article talks about the Atkins diet getting slightly better results in the short term, but that it was not without its problems... and that a low glycemic approach was probably better in the long term from my understanding of the article... I'm not a stong proponent of either approach really... I too believe that it is highly individual and people need to figure out for themselves what works best for them...
Old 03-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #4  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

Here's another NYT article which refers to it and basically says "a calorie IS a calorie" in terms of weight loss - but obviously eating healthy is better for your health.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/he...effective.html
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #5  
Heading Downtown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostMe View Post
Here's another NYT article which refers to it and basically says "a calorie IS a calorie" in terms of weight loss - but obviously eating healthy is better for your health.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/10/he...effective.html
Interesting that article is written by Gina Kolata... I've heard that she and Gary Taubes had a bit of feud going on at the NYTimes...

Last edited by TripSwitch; 03-31-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:34 AM   #6  

The Best Diets for 2023 Remain the Mediterranean Diet, DASH Diet, and Flexitarian Diets. Doctors strongly advise these three diets due to their documented health advantages.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote