Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

Default Some interesting Research

I'm not entirely sure this is where this goes.. If not I apologize and if it's not can you please put this in the place where it belongs.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0408150612.htm

I just thought that this was interesting because they have identified a couple genes that can be associated with Childhood Obesity. I know that the "American Diet" is probably 97% at fault but maybe these genes are what started it? Or maybe it's what makes us 'LOVE' food. I dont know.. LOL maybe when they will do more research on this topic we can find out what these genes are really doing to us.

(I'm currently in Biology and we have to find articles like this one on new research.. I though this one was interesting to share on here)

Last edited by imnotperfect24; 04-18-2012 at 11:54 PM.
imnotperfect24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Interesting, thanks!

P.S. I often wonder about this myself. Every single person in my family has weight issues. Bad genes or bad habits? Idk...
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:35 AM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My guess is that at most the genes can pre-dispose you to obesity, not cause it. Lack of the gene is the RARE rare case of really truly "cant get fat".
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #4  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Fromt the article...

"This work opens up new avenues to explore the genetics of common childhood obesity," said Grant. "Much work remains to be done, but these findings may ultimately be useful in helping to design future preventive interventions and treatments for children, based on their individual genomes."

Translation ...

We can make a lot of money once we develop drugs we can sell.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #5  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Fromt the article...

"This work opens up new avenues to explore the genetics of common childhood obesity," said Grant. "Much work remains to be done, but these findings may ultimately be useful in helping to design future preventive interventions and treatments for children, based on their individual genomes."

Translation ...

We can make a lot of money once we develop drugs we can sell.
Nah. I write scientific abstracts, manuscripts, grant proposals etc. all the time, and that's exactly how we often phrase things in a conclusion. Findings are promising, more work to do, potential practical utility in the future, etc. And I do human identification research for the DoD. These guys are from a hospital, and the paper was published in Nature Genetics (a prestigious journal); I'd guess they're just researchers, and the hospital is trying to promote itself with this article. Our public affairs officer *loves* when we're interviewed for a news piece - keeping up a good image for the organization is his job.

imnotperfect24, you should go and read the original paper.

Last edited by chickadee32; 04-19-2012 at 10:44 AM.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote