Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/275/200

Height: 5ft 7in

Default Safflower Oil??

So I admit, on my mini-vacation from work I managed to get in some Dr.Oz, I love watching his show! Always has such good info on it. Yesterday I believe it was, he had Montel Williams on and he was talking about a product called Saf-Slim, that I believe he(Montel) endorses. Dr.Oz started talking more about the product and mentioned Safflower Oil, in a pill form, but also can be taken in other forms. The product Montel Williams was talking about was something that you drink. Anyways, Dr.Oz said in the end that he was going to give it a try, said he would try it for 3 months and see if he noticed any results. Apparantly it is supposed to help get rid of belly fat. Now we all know Dr.Oz and of course he asked more doctors and the verdict was really kind of 50/50 as to if it would work or not. So I'm just curious as to if anyone else has this in their routine as far as vitamins go?
LosinItIn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #2  
HijabiMommaBear

S/C/G: 335/ticker/316

Height: 5' 8"

nope but i hope you get some answers because id like to see them.
jessica2231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/???/150

Not sure on the Saf-Slim,but I decided to add sunflower seeds into my diet and see if that helps any.I love them on salads anyways.
zoritsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #4  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I wish I had answers, but I saw that show and was left with a feeling of uncertainty about the whole thing. Mondel Williams gets paid for endorsing this product, so we can't trust what he has to say. Dr. Oz has a new vitamin on his show for weight loss every other week, so I've sort of been left underwhelmed by his recommendations. I've actually purchased some supplements he recommended in the past and they did nothing for me. I am still interested because who wouldn't want a natural pill that can help shed unwanted belly fat and also help by curbing the appetite? I hope you'll get some more info because I would love to get it....but only if I know there's a good chance it works.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/275/200

Height: 5ft 7in

I agree that you never know if it works or not. But I don't agree with the fact that just because he gets paid to endorse it then we shouldn't trust him. A lot of people that endorse products do use them themselves, notice I said a lot and not all.. LOL.. But I'm going to give it a try and see if I notice anything. Like he said, it doesn't have to be the pill, it could just be using sunflower oil when cooking or eating sunflower seeds, which come summer time I'm all about some sunflower seeds! Haha..

I've never tried a vitamin that he's done a show about, but this is something that I'm interested in. Mainly because it's not expensive, I priced them at about $8-$10 for a large bottle, I believe 100, can't remember. But he said take it for 3 months and see if you notice a difference. I think that's a lot of the problem when people try something new, they try it for a week or two and when they don't notice anything they stop and say it doesn't work. I'll give it the time he suggested and see if it works, combined with what I'm doing now. I'll never know if I don't try it out.
LosinItIn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #6  
it's always something

The only real (published, peer reviewed) study the product website mentions is one done by Ohio State University a few years ago. The study included a small group of 35 women who were postmenopausal (probably over 50) and obese and had type 2 diabetes.

If you are not all of the above 3 then you may not see any benefit. You can read the study published at the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition to learn more about why this group may have seen results from the safflower oil (has to do with the hormonal changes after menopause and the effect on insulin, etc).

Note that the study did not involve the SafSlim product, and the same quality and dosage of safflower oil used in the study can be purchased for much less than the SafSlim product. This is particularly important since they state that it can take at least 12 to 16 weeks to see results. A $29 bottle lasts two weeks.

You can also replace the cooking oil you normally use with safflower oil (not in addition to). Buy regular safflower oil, not the "high oleic" version. High oleic is high in monounsaturated fats and it will state High Oleic prominently on the label. You'll want the regular kind that is high in polyunsaturated fat, and the nutrition label should state about 7-11g polyunsaturated per tablespoon. Use this in your salad dressings or when you normally cook with oil. The study used an oil with 78% linoleic acid and regular safflower cooking oil contains about 70% so you'll need a smidgen more. To match the amount of linoleic acid in the study, you'll need 2 to 3 teaspoons of of regular oil. Try to go with an organic brand such as Spectrum.

Also... SafSlim mentions on their site that they use a clinically tested ingredient, but they make it very vague that it wasn't their clinical study - they still refer to the OSU study. In fact, they don't have any of their own studies to back up the claim and state that the product was inspired by the OSU study. I noticed that the SafSlim domain was registered just a few days after the OSU study was published. Knowing how this industry works, I would guess that someone from a supplement company read the report and saw dollar signs. Registered the domain, whipped out a product and promoted the heck out of the OSU study - all the while failing to present the full facts of the study other than linking to a zip file that most people probably won't open. This is typically how it's done.

SafSlim mentions "patented technology" but what they have applied for a patent for (applied, not yet received) is an emulsion technique of blending oil and other ingredients.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #7  

Height: 5'9

I have never tried this product but,I ALWAYS lose more belly fat when I'm on the Atkins diet(high fat) Vs Plain low calorie plans..with low calorie plans I MUST exercise to lose inches with low carb the inches come off by themselves....And remember that popular ABS DIET a few years ago..the secret to that plan was to add in a "healthy fat" to each meal..even WW is telling folks to eat 2 "healthy fats" per day...I have never had a problem with eating fats-only if the fat has sugar or salt in it too.
cuteazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #8  

LosinInItin2012. Looks like you started using this in January and it is now March. Have you seen a difference?
Dramaqueen67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #9  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

Default SafSlim

Ordered the Safslim yesterday, I think they told me it was to arrive about the 20th of March. Will keep you posted with the results. If anyone else has tried this what were your results?
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteazz1 View Post
I have never tried this product but,I ALWAYS lose more belly fat when I'm on the Atkins diet(high fat) Vs Plain low calorie plans..with low calorie plans I MUST exercise to lose inches with low carb the inches come off by themselves....And remember that popular ABS DIET a few years ago..the secret to that plan was to add in a "healthy fat" to each meal..even WW is telling folks to eat 2 "healthy fats" per day...I have never had a problem with eating fats-only if the fat has sugar or salt in it too.
Word^^^^

If there were a pill that could reduce bodyfat we would have invented it by now. I never listen to what Dr. Oz says anyway. Total nutter IMO.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #11  
SanityNow

At the end of the Dr. Oz show there's a printed disclaimer about the show being for general information only, etc. A person should check w/his/her physician before taking these supplements. I'm surprised Dr. Oz is so free with his endorsements...
Old 03-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

What i think is amusing is that Dr. Oz doesn't appear to have any belly fat at all. He is going to try it for 3 months to see if he gets any results ? Huh ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote