Article on weight loss and nutrition fundamentals

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I found this article today and love it:
    http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/

Let me know what you think!
  • It's an excellent article. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.
  • Fantastic article, including a great explanation of so-called starvation mode.

F.
  • It is very LONG but very accurate and reality based. Thanks for sharing it. I think I will link it on my blog and remind myself of it if I ever go off the deep end!
  • Hey... I know that guy!

Saw some traffic flowing through from this site, so figured I'd sign up and take a look around. Thanks very much for sharing the article. It has definitely gotten more attention than I ever thought possible, which means the world to me.
  • Quote: Hey... I know that guy!

Saw some traffic flowing through from this site, so figured I'd sign up and take a look around. Thanks very much for sharing the article. It has definitely gotten more attention than I ever thought possible, which means the world to me.
    Cool! Welcome to 3FC!

Thanks for the wicked article!!!
  • Awesome read! Thanks!
  • You're welcome guys. Thanks for taking the time to read it.
  • I'll add that if anyone has any suggestions about how to make the article better, I'd love to hear them. Or if you have any questions pertaining to it... I'm all ears.
  • Fantastic article, and very accessible despite the length. It was exactly what I needed to read right now given my mindset lately. It's been difficult to get away from the expectation of faster losses as my weight has gotten lower, and the piece made me realize that my daily caloric expenditure is probably much lower than I thought given metabolic adaptation after 14 months of calorie deficits. So I made two changes: I took off the BodyBugg, and deleted all my silly calculations of what my weight "should" be given my supposed calorie deficits over the last 3 months. I'll keep my daily calorie intake the same, assume a slower rate of loss, and hopefully see 135 lbs in a few months' time.

And since Mr. Troutman is here and offered, my question is this: After one stops eating at a calorie deficit, does the body eventually recover from the metabolic adaptations that occurred during weight loss? That is - will my maintenance calories always be lower than someone else who dieted down to a normal weight, or will I eventually be able to eat at more commonly expected calories for my weight without gaining weight?
  • Hey, sorry for the delayed response. Been a bit busy. To answer your question, I'm going to have to give you the stock standard answer of "it depends."

For some though, unfortunately, some of the research indicates that it can be permanent. There are a number of papers that do followup investigations of up to 2 years (if memory serves me right) where energy expenditure was still depressed.

Don't ya just love our biologies!?
  • Beautiful freeking love it!!!! Not even close to finished with it yet but will be finishing and reading and studying it all the way through!!!!
  • Quote: Hey, sorry for the delayed response. Been a bit busy. To answer your question, I'm going to have to give you the stock standard answer of "it depends."

For some though, unfortunately, some of the research indicates that it can be permanent. There are a number of papers that do followup investigations of up to 2 years (if memory serves me right) where energy expenditure was still depressed.

Don't ya just love our biologies!?
    Thanks for the response. I'm totally bummed to hear this, lol, even though I kind of expected it.
  • Quote: Beautiful freeking love it!!!! Not even close to finished with it yet but will be finishing and reading and studying it all the way through!!!!
    I'll take beautiful! Thanks so much, and hopefully the final part was as good for you as the beginning.

I made a PDF version of this too, since a lot of people wanted it so they could read it on their e-readers... so if anyone is interested just let me know.
  • Quote: Thanks for the response. I'm totally bummed to hear this, lol, even though I kind of expected it.
    Well it's different for everyone. But yeah, it's not what most people want to hear. Our bodies definitely resist our attempts to get thin in a variety of very complex ways.