Weight Loss News and Current Events Discuss the latest weight loss news headlines and major events.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #1  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

Default 1 in 4 Canadian adults obese: Statscan

1 in 4 Canadian adults obese: Statscan
03/03/2011 1:55:00 AM

Michelle McQuigge, The Canadian Press

TORONTO - One in four Canadian adults is clinically obese, compared with one in three in the United States, suggests a new study that experts describe as a grim depiction of the state of public health on both sides of the border.

The study - a collaboration between Statistics Canada and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, conducted between 2007 and 2009 - concluded that 24 per cent of Canadians were obese, compared with nearly 34 per cent of Americans.

It's believed to be the first time researchers have compared obesity rates in both Canada and the U.S.

The findings echo those of a global study released last September by the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development, which said one-quarter of Canadians could be classified as obese; two-thirds of Canadian men were overweight.

The fact that Canada fared better than the U.S. doesn't mean Canadians are off the hook, said Cynthia Ogden, co-author of the most recent study and an epidemiologist with the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics.

"Although the U.S. is leading the way, many other countries, including Canada, are experiencing rises in obesity levels," Ogden said.

"In both countries, there's work to be done."

The crisis south of the border represents a glimpse of Canada's future if things don't change, said Arya Sharma, scientific director for the Edmonton-based Canadian Obesity Network.

"We're a little bit behind, but we're not that much behind," Sharma said. "If we don't do something about this now, we're going to end up exactly where the U.S. is."

Obesity rates will continue to rise unless those struggling to control their weight actively seek help, and governments take the necessary steps to limit access to high-calorie foods, he added.

Obesity rates in the U.S. have been consistently higher than those in Canada during the last two decades, but some of the study's findings suggest Canadians are following in the footsteps of their southern neighbours.

Ogden said 24 per cent of Canadian women were considered obese, the same figure registered for their American counterparts 20 years ago. The latest data shows the obesity rate for women in the U.S. climbed to 36 per cent over that time.

Among Canadian men, 24.3 per cent met the definition of obesity, compared with 32.6 per cent of those in the U.S.

Ogden said the gap between the two countries can't be readily explained.

"I really think it's interesting to look at why it's so much higher in the United States," she said. "We share a border. What's going on?"

Governments and researchers would be better off trying to reduce obesity rates than evaluating the minor differences between them, said Bill Jeffery, national co-ordinator at the Centre for Science in the Public Interest.

"Instead of quibbling over minor differences, we need to recognize that now, about two-thirds of people in both countries are overweight or obese," Jeffery said.

Like our American counterparts, we need public policies to help prevent overweight and reverse the conversion of overweight to obese."

Since the late 1980s, the prevalence of obesity in Canada has increased by about 10 percentage points for men and eight for women, the study found; in the U.S. it climbed by 10 percentage points for men and 12 percentage points for women, respectively.

Among men in both countries, the increase was highest among those aged 60 to 74, while in women, obesity increased the most among those aged 20 to 39

---

These stats are depressing both for Canadians and Americans. I'm sure it is not new news that North Americans are obese, and obesity is on the rise. These are scary statistics nevertheless.

I'm at a loss of words as to why we aren't doing more to combat obesity as primary prevention would help with keeping numbers down in the hospital and people being on less medication. The big businesses are obviously making money from people who are obese, and get sick and have to go on meds.

Since we know that obesity is a major cause of some of the biggest killers like heart disease, and diabetes.. it bothers me that we as a continent are not doing more. Is it really up to the individual, or is it more up to the big businesses and government to help fight obesity. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Because manufacturers put addicting chemicals into the food we buy that isn't good for us (Ie soda and chips) and these companies apparently have a lot of weight with our government so they don't get too much criticism.

Me personally I don't eat chips anymore, I don't drink soda, I buy as unprocessed food as I possibly can, etc. I know it's more work but I find so many people who tell me they don't have time for that usually watch 2-4 hours of television a night AND play video games at least 1 hour a day- I'm like um hello? That's time right there! At least get up and do it during commercials!

I'm definitely working my butt off to NOT be one of those statistics!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #3  
Back at It!

S/C/G: 238/220/170

Height: 5'4 1/2

I hear what what you are saying about the manufacturing companies making the money from selling all of this junk.

I am one of those statistics, and I too am trying not to be one of those statistics. I just think that now that I am becoming more healthy, I am looking at people that are bigger than me and feel bad for them. I feel bad for myself even for all the bad choices I made. I think people are brainwashed and like sheep flocking to what the advertisements suggest, and falling into the trap of the super size culture that we live in. I've just been thinking alot about this lately.

I worry that these stats may get even worse. I like to hope that many people are waking up.
Jojo381972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:54 AM   #4  
Running for my life

S/C/G: 240/140

Height: 5'6"

I read an interesting article (wish I had the link) where it was stated that the U.S. Military is having a difficult time recruiting young men and women who are not overweight. Apparently for the first time in history, there is a shortage of people who are eligible for military service, here in the states, due to their being severely overweight by military standards.

Americans are now too fat to defend themselves, according to the article. I think we have been lulled into laziness and it really kind of frightens me.
milmin2043 is offline   Reply With Quote