Yes, HFCS is worse than sugar

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • A Princeton University study showed "lab animals that were fed HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) had greater increases in triglycerides (fat molecules) and abdominal fat than those fed table sugar".

from December First Magazine

So much for the corn industry ads.
  • Thanks for posting. I really didn't believe those ads, but it's good to hear that the truth coming from a reputable study. I wonder if they'll have to stop making those false claims now?

Oh, and I love that ad for Nutella that lets moms know that it's a great breakfast food for their kids. Yeah....right! I only wish!!!
  • What are the corn industry ads???? I don't watch tv. You said hfcs so are the ads for that or corn in general???
  • The ads say "whether it's corn sugar or cane sugar, your body can't tell the difference. Sugar is sugar."

The site I found the quote on said the corn industry is trying to change the name of high-fructose corn syrup to corn sugar because of the bad image of HFCS.

The corn industry has actually applied to the FDA for a name change, (which takes 2 years), from high-fructose corn syrup to corn sugar. If the name change goes through, that will be what appears on packaging.

Think they are trying to fool consumers?
  • Yeah I didn't believe those deceiving ads either. I loathe them. I am so glad there is a reputable study out now.
  • Oh wow. There are many times I'm thankful I don't watch tv. That ad just sounds silly.
  • Quote: A Princeton University study showed "lab animals that were fed HFCS (high-fructose corn syrup) had greater increases in triglycerides (fat molecules) and abdominal fat than those fed table sugar".

from December First Magazine

So much for the corn industry ads.
    You know what is even worse. My nutritionist told me that HFCS is actually in a LOT more products than you suspect, because it has various different names. Hydrolyzed Corn Product, Hydrogenated Corn syrup etc are really THE SAME THING.

read those labels!!!
  • "A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found no scientific evidence to support the hypothesis that high fructose fructose (frŭk`tōs), contributes more (or less) to obesity in the United
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    and theres a study from American journal of Clinical health that says the opposite
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Study+.....-a0195523940

and heres a link to an article about how some of the original research that got food activists on the witch hunt going was originally flawed

http://consumerfreedom.com/news_deta...misinformation

my opinion? HFCS is NOT going to be the death of us! Neither are carbs,or dietary fat...
  • Here are some new articles for you to read (from peer reviewed journals)...

The role of high-fructose corn syrup in metabolic syndrome and hypertension.

Fructose induced lipogenesis: from sugar to fat to insulin resistance.
  • Quote: read those labels!!!

But, but, my broccoli didn't come with a label!
  • i have done alot of research and my conclusion is: no thank you. Even if they are right-how will we ever know-and why take a chance? i have been buying "simply heinz" with actual sugar in it, and my family LOVES how it tastes. We are convinced HFCS doesn't even taste that good

What i have learned is that it enters your body in a "pre digested" state, and your body does not use HFCS as energy, as it does even regular sugar, it stores it directly as fat.

i am past researching this so i apologize i don't know where i read it.

i hate those ads too.

-fm
  • Quote: But, but, my broccoli didn't come with a label!

Nope, but if you buy any other HEALTHY food other than vegetables, you may be in for a shock. There was a store brand of oatmeal I found that contained HFCS, I also found a can of beans! Plain black beans that had HFCS added. Tomato puree, Many so called "healthy breads".

I don't do dry beans cause they take forever to cook, but beans is a staple for a vegan or vegetarian wanna be (like me) who wants to limit the amounts of animal and saturated animal fat they get in their diets.
  • Quote: Nope, but if you buy any other HEALTHY food other than vegetables, you may be in for a shock. There was a store brand of oatmeal I found that contained HFCS, I also found a can of beans! Plain black beans that had HFCS added. Tomato puree, Many so called "healthy breads".

I don't do dry beans cause they take forever to cook, but beans is a staple for a vegan or vegetarian wanna be (like me) who wants to limit the amounts of animal and saturated animal fat they get in their diets.
    It is also in bread and ketchup. That was a shock to me. And syrup. Why? Natural maple syrup is like honey...sweet on its own.
  • Also bread n butter pickles and many frozen foods.

i think they put it in syrup because it is cheaper than the real thing. It also extends the shelf life.

-fm
  • Quote: It is also in bread and ketchup. That was a shock to me. And syrup. Why? Natural maple syrup is like honey...sweet on its own.
    Maple syrup is expensive. HFCS is cheap. It's a cheap way to pad out the product.